Author Topic: **Updated post on Sad moment for Toby**  (Read 2115 times)

Offline Tobias our Big Boy

• Gnawer
  • Toby is such a gentle giant
    • View Profile
**Updated post on Sad moment for Toby**
« on: August 21, 2008, 09:23:30 pm »
We take Toby to a local nursing home. We started a month and a half ago (about) and the fist few days we exposed him to it he kept trying to pull me down a certain wing. Well, the third visit, once he was more familiar with the place, I let him lead me where he wanted to go. And next thing you know he heads straight to this certain wing and straight into a room as if he was on a mission. I announced our presence and noticed a woman sitting in a wheel chair. She was blind and lost both of her legs to diabetes. Her name is Ruth and Toby went straight towards her. He immediately took to her. He sat down infront of her with his head straight up, usually he lays down, and started to lick the ends of what was once her legs.  He always stayed perked up for her to reach him. Well, this last visit, 1 1/2 wks ago, he pulled to Ruth's room only to find her not there. He stood there and mellowed his mood and slowly walked out of her room. We found out that she went to the hospital the day before. Usually Toby resists leaving because he is still not a big fan of riding in the truck. But after that he had no problem walking out and getting in the truck. I think he missed his buddy.    :'(  But we cannot wait til we can go back this Saturday and find out if she is back.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 08:42:59 pm by Tobias our Big Boy »
Tobias (Toby) 1yr 3/4 Pyrenees/ 1/4 Anatolian
2 little boys 3 1/2 yr and 1 1/2 yr

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
Re: Sad moment for Toby
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 10:29:05 pm »
Sounds like Toby is a real natural at his job...from my experiences with Magic at the hospital they have a magical sense of where they are needed..whethe r it be a patient or family member or even staff haveing a particularly bad day..

Now that you know...and just a reminder from a fellow TD handler...TD work does require obedience and control..but with our special work we also need to be able to listen to our partner on the team...there are times that they know more than we do..

The only thing I would be concerned with at a nursing facality is the fact that you will see the same people and our fur friends do form attachments... even in a hosptial setting there were some kids that were frequent patients and somehow as soon as we hit the floor Magic knew they were there..

Most people in nursing homes..well it is there last home..so I'm not sure what advise to give you..because it does sound like Toby knows who needs what ...except for himself maybe...so that is your job..

Keep up the wonderful work..the lives you meet every visit you change not only them but yourselves..

Tricia and the fur kids

lookingfornewf

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 06:41:30 am »
Toby sounds like such a smart wonderful dog. Hope his friend is back tomarrow.

marypyrs

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 01:46:39 pm »
Sounds like Toby is a real natural at his job...from my experiences with Magic at the hospital they have a magical sense of where they are needed..whethe r it be a patient or family member or even staff haveing a particularly bad day..

Now that you know...and just a reminder from a fellow TD handler...TD work does require obedience and control..but with our special work we also need to be able to listen to our partner on the team...there are times that they know more than we do..

The only thing I would be concerned with at a nursing facality is the fact that you will see the same people and our fur friends do form attachments... even in a hosptial setting there were some kids that were frequent patients and somehow as soon as we hit the floor Magic knew they were there..

Most people in nursing homes..well it is there last home..so I'm not sure what advise to give you..because it does sound like Toby knows who needs what ...except for himself maybe...so that is your job..

Keep up the wonderful work..the lives you meet every visit you change not only them but yourselves..

Tricia and the fur kids

Modified because I see my original message isn't showing. :-\ Guess I goofed.

You do change the lives of Residents in the Nursing Homes and their Families and Care Givers forever. And in a wonderful and positive way. I hope you realize how special you and Toby are.  :-*

My Fur Family and I started going many years ago when my Beloved was recovering from his first bout with cancer. Residents would line up in wheel chairs to meet and greet. The healing power was far greater than any medicine. Echo and/or Boozoo would "pull" Teddy down the hall in his chair to the sun room. There we would share our time with others.

Our special ones do know the sadness of loss just as we do. But ~ they seem to move on and in that they seek another who needs their love.

It's wonderful what you and Toby are doing. I'm still in the field of TDI. And if you should ever, ever, have questions ~ I would definitely direct you to Tricia. This wonderful lady knows far, far, more than I.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 05:03:44 pm by marypyrs »

Offline Tobias our Big Boy

• Gnawer
  • Toby is such a gentle giant
    • View Profile
**Update on Sad moment for Toby**
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 08:40:41 pm »
Thank you all for your support. We went today and Joan was bathing. So we will see her next Saturday. Toby is getting more eager to visit and is walking faster towards rooms. He is great at approaching the elderly. He always seems to stop infront of them with his side to them. Then he slowly edges his head to their lap; he appears to know to take it easy. It is insane at how natural he is at this. He loves to lie on the floors next to beds and the residents love it. They say he can sleep there all day if he wanted to.
When my two little boys are not in high gear for the day, the visits become a family affair and the residents love seeing my little boys and Toby. It is so nice.

The offers for advice are outstanding and deeply appreciated.

Hope
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 08:41:41 pm by Tobias our Big Boy »
Tobias (Toby) 1yr 3/4 Pyrenees/ 1/4 Anatolian
2 little boys 3 1/2 yr and 1 1/2 yr