Author Topic: Has Rocky turned into the Alpha?  (Read 1323 times)

Offline heartofwisdom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Heart at Home Blog
Has Rocky turned into the Alpha?
« on: August 22, 2008, 09:21:19 am »
My two Prys are changing. Precious is a year old and Rocky is 8 months. Rocky recently became a bit larger than Precious. 

Precious is always the first to greet me when I come outside or return home from an outing (several times a day as I work with the horse or goats).

Out of the blue Rocky now greets me and Precious stays back-- Like Rocky has claimed the alpha position. Does this happen or is it my imagination?

I haven't had Rocky as long. Maybe its taken him this long to warm up to me. We got him after we lost Peppy (http://heartofwisdom.com/blog/goodbye-peppy/)and he has always been a little aloof while Precious has been my sweetie. Now Rocky demands equal attention. Which I am happy to give.

But a part me is worried about Precious staying back. Its been hot again so maybe shes just not quite herself. Its very subtle. I'm the only one in the family that notices.

We got Rocky in April
. Hes always been very wary of us. I'm thrilled we are closer.

Thanks,
Robin

« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 09:36:33 am by heartofwisdom »
Robin

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Has Rocky turned into the Alpha?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 03:06:59 pm »
It can take months for a new dog to show their true personality.  Usually, I have had female dogs that will take over as alpha in my household.  The males will still have their ranking, but the bitch is in charge.  Who greets you first does not denote pack status, or it sure doesn't with mine.  Max Jake and ChiChi crowd the kitchen doorway and Cody is usually in the rear, but he is my undisputed alpha.  He just doesn't get into the juggling for position with the others.  He hangs back and waits for me to come to him, for his greeting.  If I don't rub his cheeks and touch noses with him, he will follow me around the house until I do.  I wouldn't worry about the behaviour.  As long as they are both healthy and happy, it's nothing to be concerned about.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats