Author Topic: How does your dog tell you it wants something?  (Read 6944 times)

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: How does your dog tell you it wants something?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2005, 11:42:41 am »
Depending on what it is Apache will paw, cry, bark, bury his head on you, lets just say he can be extremly expressive. Kiya always uses her paws & Chazzy will nudge you with her nose.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2005, 09:09:58 pm »
Willow doesn't even know her name yet.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2005, 09:27:44 pm »
Bear does many things to get what he wants. He will stare at me and look lovingly into my eyes and stare. That will turn into looks with huffs and puffs and heavy breathing. If that still doesn't get my attention he will gently tap my with his front leg and stare, and huff. Then he will tap, stare and give a low hrmmgghhh....t o which I usually repeat whatever sounds he has made. This goes on for a while and I usually will give him what he wants then. If not, if he want to play for example after the noises he will bring me the toy or push his food bowl around for a more direct approach. As a final resort, if I have still not given him what he wants and have refused to get up (sometimes this is the case) he will bark once like "Hey! Did you forget I am here and want to something mom? Come on already!" It really is super cute!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2005, 09:59:05 pm »
What a GREAT love story!
I found Tulsa on Petfinders also. Didn't want a big dog, or small dog, the ad said she was 'medium'. I called the shelter and they assured me she would make me happy. So I drove from Fresno to Amador County, about 160 miles.
When I saw her, I was in awe, when she saw me, she went NUTZ!
It was love at first sight!
 Although she was bigger than I had been told, I didn't care!
We talked, walked, played in the rain, and I brought her home with me.
Her head was on my hand, her eyes were always on my face as we made the journey home.
That was two and a half years ago.
She is lying at my feet right now, looking at me with her soulful, amber eyes, trusting, protecting, knowing that she made the right decision.
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2005, 11:02:58 pm »
Willow doesn't even know her name yet.

lol..... isnt that the cutest comment ever  ;D

Hera will stare at you, if that doesnt work she starts to jog around the house, wont be still until she has made us figure out what it is she wants.

Galahad stares too, sits down infront of you and start to "speak" next step is to speak and slide backwards and then walk up to you and do it all again. If he thinks we are late with food he will go grab his food dish and walk around with it. sometimes he grabbes his water dish (with water) and walks around with IT, we have yet not figured out what he wants when he does that and leaves a smaller lake in the kitchen for me to mop up lol...

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2005, 11:31:30 pm »
What a GREAT love story!
I found Tulsa on Petfinders also. Didn't want a big dog, or small dog, the ad said she was 'medium'. I called the shelter and they assured me she would make me happy. So I drove from Fresno to Amador County, about 160 miles.
When I saw her, I was in awe, when she saw me, she went NUTZ!
It was love at first sight!
 Although she was bigger than I had been told, I didn't care!
We talked, walked, played in the rain, and I brought her home with me.
Her head was on my hand, her eyes were always on my face as we made the journey home.
That was two and a half years ago.
She is lying at my feet right now, looking at me with her soulful, amber eyes, trusting, protecting, knowing that she made the right decision.
John
That's the stuff that makes me know that I am not alone in my love for the critters! :) There are pets & there are soul mates...My dogs are soul mates to me as are my cats, bunnies & surviving guienea pig...Meant to be...Written in stone...Just like my hubby & my children...You know when you have been chosen...When it is meant to be...& the trust in her eyes...aaahhhh hhhhhhhhhh :) I know it well...The trust of a dog is worth the trust of 20 people. :) :) :)

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2005, 03:03:12 pm »
What great stories ... I notice that many of our dogs use their eyes to convey their desires. Well, eyes and heads (which mine do too ... mostly eyes boring holes through me as if they were trying to hypnotize me into "doing their will").  But I am glad I don't get the head butts some of ya'll get!  :D
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. -Phil Pastoret

Offline jen n lexy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2005, 03:10:54 pm »
Lexy is very vocal and she'll woof for her demands. When I don't respond to her woofs she'll proceed to using her eye communication - usually with puzzlement as to why I haven't tended to her.

Jen n Lexeeee
Jen n Lexeee

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2005, 03:37:49 pm »
Casper starts with the stare and a bump under my arm with his nose (so far only a few drinks have gotten spilled).  If that doesn't work, he'll start "speaking" - huffing, growling, and then the bark....if that doesn't work he'll put a paw on me (ouch - nails!)...if that doesn't work he'll nibble at my leg or arm with his front teeth....and if I look like I'm going to respond at any point, he'll jump up & down and wag his head in the direction he wants me to go (usually to the pantry for a treat)!  And finally, if all of the above has failed, he'll put his head in my lap and look up with those gorgeous brown eyes full of love - as if to say "Please?"  He makes me laugh and he's very hard to resist!  ;D
-LaurieW

nickerbokker

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2005, 03:42:20 pm »
cody will stare at you until one of you dies.  he will not break eye contact (or stop trying to MAKE eye contact), but he will continually sit, down, sit, down, shake (with no one to grab paw), down, sit, down...you get it.  its annoying, but cute.

ANGUS, he will just come right over and think of the best way to hurt you and do it.  may it be digging nails into legs, feet, arms whatever....or just ramming you with his rock hard head.  one way or another, if wangus wants your attention, he will get it. 

GR8DAME

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2005, 03:46:44 pm »
I think Angus and Strider were souls that were separated at birth to two different Mommas.
Stella

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2005, 04:11:44 pm »
Ranger does...

the head bump, the stare, the paw, an ever-so-delightul pig grunting noise, and throws himself down on his back in front of your feet and shows you his belly as though the sight of it will be so compelling that all thoughts but the needs of Ranger will be driven from your mind. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 04:14:03 pm by grumpybunny »
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2005, 04:35:41 pm »
Everyone has great stories, all dogs are so different.
Both of our  dogs have very different ways of communicating, depending upon what they want.
Sapphire walks over to the door and looks at you. You can either let her out rather promptly or she squats and goes in front of the door. If she needs petting, she walks over, tail wagging and hugs. If she wants a treat, she down right in front of you and looks at you very intensely, if that doesn't work she begins waving with her right paw. (That always works.) When she wants something Gucci has, she stands in front of her and barks.
Gucci, paces back and forthbetween the door and you until you let her out. She literally shoves her head under your hand and rubs it for petting. When she wants a treat she dances on her hind legs crossing her paws. (Quite a feat for a 30 lb fluff ball with hip dyslpasia.) We have a large toy basket with toys, she takes out one runs around with it, if no one joins in, gets a second, third etc. until someone joins in or she runs out toys. Any ideas on how to train the dogs to put the toys back?

Deena