Author Topic: Hey everyone! Back again for breed help and an update! :)  (Read 2529 times)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
Hey everyone! Back again for breed help and an update! :)
« on: August 28, 2008, 03:40:56 am »
Hey guys!

Dropping in again after getting out of the hospital this month, I had salmonella poisoning... yuck! I DONT recommend it. Ever. To anyone. Although, I did loose almost 30 pounds in three weeks! Some diet, huh ? HA!

Things are SO crazy here, we are up to 56 dogs in rescue right now, and more and more keep coming in. Even when we say "No, we are full" (Which we have been saying for months now) we get drop offs and dogs tied to our fence. Last week at our adoption fair at petsmart someone walked up with a cart of "maltepoos" or some similar designer mutt and just walked away. I didnt even realize there were dogs in the cart until one stuck their head over the edge of the cart and all of our dogs at the fair started barking. They were one big solid mat, probably never groomed in their lives, so we named them Matt and Mattie.
Here they are:

When we finally groomed them we had to peel them like a banana, and we even found an embedded collar in the little girls fur.

We also had a little pitbull mix left on our front porch, and this little dog....that we dont know what it is.

She is about 45 LBS, shaped like a basset hound, colored like a beagle, and with her back end smooth and short haired. But then she has these tufts of wire hair sticking out in areas, and then her whole front end is long thick hair. Its very odd!!!

Any idea on her breed?

Elsewhere in the rescue is 37 other puppies and 19 adults, including Foxybrown, the lovely chow mother who lost her whole poor sick litter that was born at animal control, Cowboy and his brothers and sisters- 8 golden retriever/collie mixes, the five bottle raised boxer mix puppies, and many many more.

Foxybrown has really, really suprised us all, by taking in and mothering all the puppies here at the central shelter (my house) no matter how old they are. Up to six months old, she cleans them, diciplines them, plays with them, and herds them to and from. She is also the most loving, playful sweet and gentle dog I have ever had come into rescue. She climbs up into your lap and just loves right into you, and she loves to laugh with a great big chow smile and big purple tongue.

My pack of three is doing really well. Cisco is working on training for his therapy dog title, and he is doing very well. We just have to work on his confidence a bit more. Annie has really grown up, and is almost as tall as her big brother now. She is just beautiful, with very soft and plushy fur, and she is a huge snuggle bug and wants nothing more then to nuzzle up to you in your lap.

We had torrential rain here from the hurricane, and coupled with a year of drought, we had horrible flash floods over this week. Two of my foster homes were completely flooded out, and the dogs who were crated in the basement had to be moved out of standing water. The kennels in the backyard where they go out to the bathroom are completely covered, and the foster moms car that she parks under the deck in the backyard had water up to the top of her windshield. We are pretty lucky here, and the rescue kennels aren't flooded, although they are very muddy from tracking paws and we have been shucking wood chips and things to help dry them out.

Whiskey is doing great, and is actually hanging out right here next to me at work. I started sneaking him in last week and now he comes to work with me every night HA! Here he is hard at work protecting the world from burglars:

As you can see, he is quite the busy working dog!

OK well back to work I suppose. If anyone has any idea on Ruffles' (The odd little mixed breed) breed, I'd love to hear them!! :D

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: Hey everyone! Back again for breed help and an update! :)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 04:37:39 am »
Obviously not a purebred she looks like a PBGV mix  You might want to contact the national rescue to see if they can help.  PBGVs are in big demand even mixes so hopefully you will be able to place her soon.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 02:18:31 pm »
nice to hear from you boy do you sound busy!

i don't really see PBGV in her.  What i do see in her smiling face in the second 2 photos is beagle or spaniel.  Wonder if she has a coat or skin problem or was shaved at one point causing the funky hair?
She totally looks like a Heinz 57.

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 02:34:50 pm »
Shawn,
Welcome back to the land of the living! You didn't have to go and poison yourself to take a break, you know!! Although, the 30 pound loss is a silver lining... That is the most bizzare looking dog I've ever seen! So strange! I'm sorry to say it, but that poor pup has a look that only it's true, fated owner would fall in love with!  ;) Good luck with EVERYTHING (and with all you do, it has to be in all capitals!). Glad you're feeling better. I'll bet your crew missed you!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 02:43:58 pm »
Ruffles almost looks like a pit bull/shih tzu mix I rescued awhile back.

Good luck with the dogs. The maltie mixes are absolutely adorable so is FoxyBrown! ;D
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats