Author Topic: It's a very sad day today.  (Read 4996 times)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
It's a very sad day today.
« on: August 30, 2008, 04:04:34 am »
I don't know if anyone knows it, but I have been going through a really long divorce process. Its finally over, but with one last tragic blow- I am loosing my house, and the rescue kennels.

The rescue is closing- I have until January 1st to find homes for 46 (27 of which are puppies) animals and find some new place that will accept my and my small herd of pets (Who I will NOT be finding homes for.) And in the meantime, I am unable to take in any more for fear of not being able to find them homes fast enough. That means that I am unable to assist with the almost 400 animals removed from a home in Denver NC (About 20 minutes from the shelter) from a collector.

I feel very defeated, and angry by the outcome of this long battle. It will be a very long time before I am set up to do rescue again, and in the mean time, Gaston County looses one of its biggest rescue groups working to save their gas-chamber death row dogs. I've been up and running for 12 years, and it seems nearly impossible to realize that I now have less then 4 months to completely sever the organization.

If possible, I'd really like everyone if possible to send good wishes/thoughts for the rescue dogs here. If they aren't placed by Jan 1st, they are going to be split up and sent to other rescue groups in the area (Non kill groups who are volunteering to take them).

It's a very very sad day :(

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

lins_saving_grace

Re: It's a very sad day today.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 05:45:31 am »
that is a tough pill to swallow.  I'm so sorry.  I wish I had room to save all the pets in the world. 
You've done a lot of good with your rescue.  Maybe someone else can pick up where you left off. 

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 05:59:52 am »
Oh no.  My heart is breaking for you.  It has been so amazing to hear about  your work- You are a truly special person.  We are all sending best wishes to you during this time of healing. 

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 07:51:08 am »
I am so sorry. When I got divorced I had to stop fostering, too. I know how frustrating it is to see an animal that needs help and realize you can't scoop it up and take it home, but remember there are other ways you can help.

Take some time to take care of yourself and your forever-pets and then regroup and start over in a new direction. Remember, you have gained a wealth of knowledge throughout your efforts these last 12 years.

Best of luck. We're here for you - no matter what.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 08:40:25 am »
I am so sorry.  Take care of yourself and hopefully something better will be around the next corner.  Peace to you.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 04:31:46 pm »
Shawn-
Can you e-mail me? I might be interested in adopting a dog!

chanteljulian@hotmail.com

Thank you!
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 05:11:59 pm »
I am so sorry that you are having to go through this.  Definitely have all the good wishes and vibes that I can send for the rescues and for you and yours. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 05:52:45 pm »
Wow, my heart is breaking for you. :'(  I know how it makes me feel to KNOW someone as caring, loving, affectionate as you. I know how it makes me feel when I view a post where you, yet again, with your hands full, rescued another dog (or dogs!) from death. I cannot imagine how you feel. My thoughts are with you during this difficult time. I pray that you find all your current dogs homes, but if you don't, remember that you still saved these dogs' lives, and that is saying alot.

Keep your head high. Just because you cannot continue to rescue NOW, doesn't mean you can't start back up again a few years later. And who knows, like Lin said, maybe someone will start where you left off. :)
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Gentian

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 06:24:09 pm »
Have you considered looking into grants to keep the rescue going? The larger humane associations sometimes have money to give out. If you've really had a big impact in your community and can document that, it's worth looking into.

lookingfornewf

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 06:35:52 pm »
I am so very sorry to hear about all of that is going on. I'm always amazed at your stories and all the pets you have helped. Good Luck finding a place for you and your animals to live.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 06:58:48 pm »
I am so sorry to hear this news.  You have done such great work with your rescue organization.  I hope that it all works out for the best and you are able to find everyone homes.

btw........... if you have any dachshunds that need rehoming, I know someone who's looking.  ;)

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 07:52:33 pm »
Oh, Shawn. That is just so sucky. I'm so sorry...Try to believe that you'll easily adopt out your current houseful and that other rescues will step in and pick up your part, as much as they can. You know, as we've all said to one another before, everything happens for a reason. Maybe it's time for you to focus on yourself for a while. An ugly, long and drawn out divorce during which you get shafted will take some time to heal from. Take the time...you have a boyfriend, right? Make good use of your time - you'll be able to actually go on dates, sleep in on non-work days, catch up on all the latest stupid reality TV nonsense... Wow. It does suck though. I don't mean to minimize - it's a huge loss for you. Hugs from NorCal... :-* :'(
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 05:09:44 pm »
I'm so so so sorry Shawn.  I can't begin to imagine how unbeleivably hurt and upset you are over this.  It breaks my heart, and I'm only a person you talk to online.  I do know however that you have done a ridiculous amount of good in the lives of the animals you've saved, and I know that in time, you'll find a way to start up again.  Don't let this stop you.  Take some time for yourself , and for your boyfriend, and your current animals.  The universe has a way of working things out as they should be.

In the meantime, please know that I'm thinking about you, and hoping for only the best for you, and your fosters that need homes, and your forever pets. 
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 09:08:50 pm »
Thank you all for your well wishes and support, you cant know what it means to me!

Yes, I do have a boyfriend, we've been together for almost two years- we met a year or so into my exhusband and I's seperation while the divorce was just starting to get nasty. He's been an incredible help and support and has always been really good about the rescue and putting up with my need to bring in .. everything LOL

This actually gets to open a new chapter, since the three of us (Him, his 4 year old daughter, and I) are going to move in together for the first time. Along with the macaws, Whiskey, Cisco, Annie and the two cats, its going to be quite the herd. I am hoping that this will give me a chance to go back to vet school.

We are doing pretty good on moving the puppies out- I have had all my volunteers up and doing home checks instead of just me, so we are approving applications a lot faster. That and halfing the adoption fee has allowed us to move 6 out this weekend. I am taking 35 to the vet on Wednesday and once they are cleared I have several leaving that night as well. I have spent all weekend calling foster homes and begging them to take on just one or two more. With the recent flood and this new hurricane heading straight for us (hanna) I haven't had a lot of luck!

Right now we still need to find foster homes for:
6 golden retriever mix puppies (4 months old)
1 terrier/GSD mix (14 weeks)
1 Australian Shep Mix (4 months)
1 pit/lab Mix (9 weeks)
3 boxer mixes (8 weeks)
1 chow (3 years)
1 beagle/sumthin mix (5 years?)
2 maltepoos

But we are moving forward!

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. Its going to be a shock to totally shift my life from one direction to another, and I can't imagine not going to animal control twice a week to save what I can, but I am going to sign us all up for volunteering with our sister organization and maybe we can foster every now and then too.

I will keep you all posted- and if any of you are looking for a dog, please let me know! :)

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 01:23:24 am »
I am so very sorry! But I truly hope that this new phase of your life turns out to have lots of wonderful & happy surprises for you.  You've done so much to help so many, bless you!  You deserve a lot of happiness.  ((hugs))
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees