Author Topic: Peace! We're Outta Here!!  (Read 11240 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Peace! We're Outta Here!!
« on: August 30, 2008, 07:57:54 am »
Well, Gustav just doesn't want to veer off his projected path to my house so we have decided to leave tomorrow morning for San Antonio.

I will be making preparations today and we'll pack up the dogs and cats and head out very early tomorrow morning.

After the storm, we'll board the dogs, leave the cats with my sister, rent a truck and head back to finish packing and move permanently (unless my store has been damaged here, then I'll stay behind to help with the clean up).

Some good news from this storm: New Orleans obviously learned something from Katrina as they are allowing people who are evacuating by bus to bring their pets and are making a lot of preparations to help pet owners.

And, from the stupid front, Aaron's assistant manager told him that if she evacuates, she's leaving her schnauzer in the backyard. B**CH!!! So, before we leave, we're driving past her house to make sure she wasn't serious. And, if he's out there, we're taking him, too and she won't be getting him back. I'm sure he'll find a nice home in San Antonio.

I'll be checking in. Wish me luck!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Peace! We're Outta Here!!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 08:10:40 am »
Good luck - be safe!
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 08:44:57 am »
Good luck, do some deep relaxing breathing, traffic is already a beeatch!!!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 09:14:48 am »
If you need help with the schnauzer, let us know. And be careful and stay safe...oh and WELCOME to Texas!!!
Paige

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 12:25:38 pm »
Be safe, Melissa. Got your water wings ready?

I'm takin' the laptop so I'll check in when we get to Texas.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 04:59:12 pm »
Jeanne be safe on your trip tomorrow and Melissa ya'll be careful too.  I guess at this point none of us are really out of the woods yet. 

I don't even know what to say about the Schnauzer leaving @ss.  Pick up that baby if you can and we can find a place in Texas for him.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 06:38:32 pm »
We just got done packing the cars up with everything but the pets. We're leaving around 4 a.m. so we can hopefully avoid the traffic jams.

All stores around here closed at noon and the shelves were bare. It's funny what people grab - the only time the shelves are bare of potted meat is right before a hurricane! And, snack cakes - that's another hurricane necessity.  All the canned pasta was gone except spaghetti o's - there were tons of those left.  Why doesn't anyone want the O's??

I'm about ready to head off to bed so I can get some z's before I have to get up at 2am to tranq. the cats (they don't like car rides AT ALL)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 07:02:06 pm »
All stores around here closed at noon and the shelves were bare. It's funny what people grab - the only time the shelves are bare of potted meat is right before a hurricane! And, snack cakes - that's another hurricane necessity.  All the canned pasta was gone except spaghetti o's - there were tons of those left.  Why doesn't anyone want the O's??

That is funny.  I love O's btw, i buy them all the time and my family all laughs at me for it.   :D

Hope your move goes well, you don't get waterlogged and you can steal the schnauzer.  ;)

Icerotti

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 07:30:30 pm »
Wishing everyone stays safe in the way of this storm. :-* :-*

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 07:53:00 pm »
Best of luck to all of our BPO friends that are in danger right now - we will be thinking and praying for your guys and that Gustov just falls apart!!

Drive safe, stay safe - write as soon as you can - we will be worried about all of you!! 

Randy

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 09:36:18 pm »
Good luck and be safe.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 05:15:47 pm »
Well, it took us 12 hours to make an 8 hour trip, but we finally made it. We had to tranq. the cats 3 times during the course of the trip 'cause they do not ride well, but the dogs did great!!

We left about 1 a.m. and the traffic was fine until we hit Beaumont, TX then it was bumper to bumper for 3 hours until we got through Houston. We made several stops so the dogs (and I) could go potty.

When we got to my sister's house, I took Kentucky and Derby to a nearby doggie daycare so they could release their pent-up energy after riding 12 hours in a car and Aaron and I could finally get some sleep.  They had a blast!! I was worried about Kentucky with the other dogs, but they said she did just fine. I think we might make doggie daycare a regular thing now.

I have a really cute picture of Derby during the trip I will post later. For now, we're safe and just keeping an eye on the storm and hoping our house and friends come out OK.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 05:35:28 pm »
Glad to see you made it to SA okay.  I talked to my mom and she said that all the hotels are booked in Longview and that she saw lots of people with campers from Louisiana while she was in town today. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2008, 07:45:29 pm »
OK. Here's the cuteness as promised.

As we were stopped on I-10 outside of Houston I turned around to check on the dogs and Derby had found himself a comfy resting spot.

This is my sister, LaDonna's deformed dachshund Serge. He's spoiled rotten, but incredibly cute:

Once settled into LaDonna's guest house, the cats, Miles and Misty Blue found a cozy and creative hiding spot:

Another one of Misty Blue's comfort zones:

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 06:50:30 am »
No schnauzer. She didn't evacuate so hopefully she's keeping him safe