Author Topic: New dogs in town  (Read 13347 times)

Offline MachoNacho852

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Account
New dogs in town
« on: September 03, 2008, 10:06:35 pm »
Hello everyone. My name is William. I am currently 20 years old, 21 in Nov. I am the proud owner of a 6 year old harlequin Great Dane and a 5 year old Black Lab. The Great Danes name is Duke or some people call him marmaduke from the comics and the Black Lab name is Mocha. They act just like brother and sister and cannot be separated.

History :
We picked up our black lab at a farm as a puppy from a litter. She was the runt and could fit inside of a shirt pocket. We would take her to the stores and she would sit in our pocket with her front paws hanging out and she would just look around or take a quick nap. She always has to be in the spot light and have all the attention in the room. She loves to swim any time she gets and is very energetic. Her usual routine each day consist of sleeping on the couch, getting a tan outside, running in the yard, and eating.

As for our great dane we found him at a local SPCA. He was dropped off at the SPCA at the age of around 3-4. They told us that a small lady in her 30's dropped him off and told them she found him on the side of the road. He was amasiated (sp) and you could see every bone in his body. He looked very depressed and was very sick. They put him on heart worm medication and fed him daily. The vets told us that he is completely deaf and have to train him to follow hand signals. We ended up visiting him every day and took him his very own blanket (An old blanket from our bed) and treats. After a week we got to take him home which we continued to feed him small meals through out the day. Over time he gained his weight back and is one of the best dogs Ive ever had.

Pictures:

Duke the super dog

Mocha the camera hog

Taking a nice nap

Another glamor shot

Hanging around in the grass

Enjoying the summer day

A trip to the water

More images to come once I upload them.
When life gives you dog treats, you have one happy dog.

angelsmama

Re: New dogs in town
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 10:39:28 pm »
Welcome to BPO :) My name is Cori and I am owned by the following :

Angel - A 5, almost 6, yr old female Rottweiler/Plott Hound mix. She was taken from an abusive situation when she was 5 months old. She was underweight, dehydrated and had a case of demodectic mange.

Bruiser - A male Chow/Husky mix. He's an old man. He'll be 9 in December.

Chewie - Around 6 yr old Chow/? mix.

3 Ball Pythons - Eve, Hydra, and Bob.

And last but not least - Ty a 1 yr old male gray tabby with socks.

In my picture, that is Angel, myself, and my 1 yr old daughter.

You have beautiful babies :)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 03:45:33 am »
Welcome!  I'm Marie and my pups are listed below.  Glad you found us!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 07:02:52 am »
Welcome to BPO! What a touching story--Duke is one lucky pup to have been adopted by you! Your dogs sound like a lot of fun.  :)

I'm Jennifer and my crew includes Tipper, who was adopted from the humane society, and Jenny, who I adopted last fall from a rescue group, two cats and my twin 5 yr old daughters.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

lookingfornewf

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 07:21:51 am »
Welcome to Big Paws. Your dogs are great looking. I have Annie, a Jack Russel I got at the Humane Society as a pup, And Clifford, Newfoundland, one year old, the first dog I ever got from a breeder. All my previous pets, cats, rabbits, etc, have always been rescues. I think it's wonderful that you rescued Duke.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 08:28:49 am »
Welcome! Thanks for the great introduction. You're going to fit in great here, because you posted pictures right away!!

I have 2 lab mixes: Kentucky and Derby and 2 cats: Miles & Misty Blue.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 09:30:48 am »
Welcome to BPO! Duke and Mocha are adorable! Duke's story is so sad, but then happy too! It sounds like you saved his life, and he appears very grateful!! Is he actually deaf, or was he just not responsive while in his rescue and recovery phase? Love the pics - keep 'em coming!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 10:26:17 am »
Those are some really cute puppers. You're gonna love this site. You can get answers to any Big Dog questions from those who are owned by big dogs. Wow is your dane really deaf? I thought it was only possible in the white ones?? Anyway Love the pics! This is my dane girl and you can tell by her picture she is a real nut! ::)
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 03:37:02 pm »
Hello and welcome!
Your two are very nice looking dogs.  Such a sad story about Duke.  I have never seen a harl marked like that.   He looks almost more likea mismarked mantle to me (but I could be wrong).  I also was curious if he is really deaf.  I suppose it could be from trauma or simply one of those things.  But by looking at him you would never know.  :)

My name is Chris and my crew is listed below.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 04:46:09 pm »
Welcome to the board.  Your pups are gorgeous.  I'm Kat and my crew is listed below.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline KatysTank

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Mya
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 08:59:38 pm »
AWWW!! They are adorable!!

Offline MachoNacho852

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Account
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 06:58:20 pm »
Yes the Great Dane is really deaf. We dont know how he became deaf since we didnt know anything about him when they dropped him off at the SPCA. The vets told us the best they can about him concerning age, health, and weight.

Ive also noticed that he doesnt look like a pure harlequin dane and was thinking it is a mix of Great Dane types. We would have loved to learn more about him but with the situation he was in we couldnt.
When life gives you dog treats, you have one happy dog.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 07:16:57 pm »
Welcome to BPO.  Nice to meet you.  Your pups sure are photogenic.

AudgePadge

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 07:31:39 pm »
HI! and Welcome....my gosh they're lovely! I hope you post more pics soon!

lorim2

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 11:26:01 am »
Hi William.  You pups are awesome!  Gotta love those labs.  My little girl is very spoiled and loves to be the life of the party...that is when Marley will let her!  Cant wait to see more pics...