Author Topic: Already thinking about a 2nd Pyr - need your opinions please.  (Read 9976 times)

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
Already thinking about a 2nd Pyr - need your opinions please.
« on: September 04, 2008, 06:43:01 am »
Believe it or not, we're thinking about adopting a second Pyr sometime in the next few months.  We want to spend more time with Ursa first and work on her training (esp crate and leash training) before adding a companion for her.

That being said, we hear a lot about how the best match is one male and one female dog.  For those of you who have 2 or more Pyrs, what's your opinion on that?  We don't really have a sex preference - the important thing is that the 2 dogs get along well.   

Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: Already thinking about a 2nd Pyr - need your opinions please.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 07:03:41 am »
Male female almost always works.  They generally adapt to each other and become like an old married couple-fun to watch their interactions.  Same sex is a crap shoot- it might work might not.

Offline pharm_girl20

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 08:01:59 am »
I've had different combinations with dogs (male/female, female/female, male/male) and the only one had trouble with was two males due to alpha male complex.  I didn't have any trouble with two females; they acted like mother and daughter.  Still, each dog is unique so every situation has different outcomes.  Congratulation s on thinking about adopting another dog and good luck.
Vicki owned by
Gracie (cat rescued 11-02)
Sheena (collie mix adopted 3-03)
Samson (Great pry rescued 8-08)

Offline steve

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 03:48:50 pm »
Two male pyrs is asking for trouble. I have a male pyr and a small male mutt dog which the pyr dominates constantly.

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 04:21:08 pm »
Any ideas on how to tell more about the personality of a 4 month old puppy? 

With my greyhounds it was easy because I fostered prior to adopting and they were all adults when they came to live with me. 

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 04:37:23 pm »
I foster failed (aka adopted) Shiner at 4 months and Kaila wasn't too thrilled to have a little brother.  She already had an older sister, Cinder.  Razor came to live at the house and Kaila didn't like Razor so she started fights with him and then Cinder would jump into the fight.  After that point Kaila and Cinder had to remain separated because they would go after each other.  So female-male has worked well and I have had male-male that has worked but female-female hasn't really ever worked for me and then sometimes depending on personality female-male hasn't worked out either.  Long way around to say it's anybodys guess which will work well for you and Ursa.  I would ask the rescue/shelter if you can have a trial period to see how they are going to get along.  Good luck
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline faye

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 04:48:22 pm »
I have 2 pyr pups both female and sisters. they went through the "whos the boss" thing but they are also best friends.  also have a newf (who is their boss) and a sheltie (who is everyones boss).  all female though.

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 06:41:16 am »
Just wanted to let you know that I have two male boys, and they are best friends in every way!  I have to echo everyone elses's thoughts though- I think my situation worked because my first dog (Champ) is completely submissive, so he was able to tolerate my bullheaded, dominant newf. 

So, again, I think you'll be fine as long as you pick your pup based on personality. 

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 05:44:59 pm »
We were recently offered the chance to foster an adorable 6 week old Pyr puppy - please tell me that I did the right thing by turning it down  :-\  I don't feel like Ursa has had enough time with us yet or like she's where we want her to be in her training before we add another dog to the mix.  I'm concerned too that a puppy that young shouldn't be in foster care yet - still it was hard to say no to such an adorable little fluff ball  :(

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 06:48:51 pm »
Of course you did the right thing.  If you think the timing isn't right then it just isn't the right time.  There is nothing wrong with that and very commendable to realize that you should wait a little longer.

Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 07:43:50 pm »
I agree with what has been written here.  It totally depends on the individual dogs.  I have an intact male wolfhound and 2 neutered males, pyr and TM.  They all get along just fine.  ChiChi my only female has also fit into the mix just great.  Cody is my alpha and tends to break up fights, when they happen, very rarely.  Once all the hierarchy is worked out between them, I don't think you will have problems.  I took Cody and Max to meet Jake, prior to getting him.  He jumped into my jeep and refused to get out.  I loaded them up with him and they all stretched out together and went to sleep.  We had a 2 hour ride home, so I wanted to make sure all was well, before we got on the road.  If they had not been okay with him, right off the bat, I would not have him.  It is all about what you are comfortable with and how the dogs handle each other.  In other circumstances, Jake might have been a problem, but with Cody, he is submissive.  Keep in mind that a rescue group telling you a dog is submissive or dominant does not mean that will be the same in your home or with your dogs.  Cody was extremely submissive in the foster home, but has taken over my pack, completely.  It all depends on the personalities involved.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline steve

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 09:35:27 pm »
My 100lb. Pyr was chewing on my 35lb. mutts head tonight. He's okay just scared the heck out of us. Male pyr's can be vicious.
Females can be vicious also, the first Pyr I ever saw was a stray at the pound, she attacked a pit bull just walking by her in the hall. Not hard to figure out why she was there.