Author Topic: We have a new addition...and it's an ankle-biter! UPDATED W/PICS!!!  (Read 12664 times)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
So much for my insisting I will never have a dog other than a Newf.  I figured if it was a different breed it would at least be big.  But no, I was out-voted.  We adopted a  three and a half month old Papillon this past Sunday while visiting Jeff's brother in Ohio.  He is a tricolor Pap and we named him Cody.  Sierra is getting used to the idea of him being around, although she is getting a crash course in learning how to share.   ;D   She seems to go from being confused that this little ball of fuzz with the big ears actually moves and barks, to wanting to play with him, to being absolutely disgusted we didn't leave him in Ohio.

Here's my issue: I have mixed feelings about this whole thing.  And I know I sound ridiculous and petty, but I'm venting anyway.  I know BPO'ers will understand, even though you will probably agree that I'm acting like a brat.

On one hand, Cody really is a cutie and he's loveable and affectionate and he has the greatest personality.  As much as I never in my life wanted a small dog, I can easily see myself falling madly in love with him.  You can't help but laugh at his antics, like when he discovered his reflection in the dishwasher.  The little dork was bouncing up and down in front of it barking at himself for about 15 minutes.  I love how he will stop running around the yard, lift one foot up, cock his head to the side and stare at you for a minute and then dash off.  And he is really smart.  The day after we got him he was already learning to respond to his name, and he is quickly learning the rules in the house.  He already knows he is not allowed in my bedroom.

On the other hand, and I feel silly admitting this, but I'm a little jealous and feeling a tad put off towards him.  EVERYBODY loves him and Sierra has gotten the shaft from everyone so far.  I can understand family and friends fawning over the new puppy, but even strangers completely ignore Sierra and just want to pet Cody.  Poor Sierra just wants to say hello and be friendly to people and now suddenly she's being ignored.  They don't even LOOK at her.  I can only imagine her wondering what she did wrong that people suddenly stopped paying attention to her.  Kelsey pointed out Sierra to someone and they had the nerve to say, "Oh, I'd just rather pet the cute dog."  You can imagine how PO'd I was.

And Jeff's dad is another story altogether.  He never hid the fact that he doesn't like Sierra.  The only reason I got from him is because she is big and he doesn't think she belongs indoors.  Tough.  Our house, our dog, our decision.  Either way, if that's the reason, you don't take it out on the dog.  Well, he absolutely LOVES Cody.  He went out and bought him little squeaky toys and chewies and even has some to keep at his house for when Cody comes over.  Sierra isn't even allowed in the house!!!  And this little pup gets to keep toys at his house???   What the ****?????  He knows how much I love my dog, why does he have to rub it in that he hates her so much.  This is the only thing I can't stand about my future father-in-law.  It's almost like he enjoys rubbing it in.

I just needed to vent.  I have some really cute puppy pics at home I will post as soon as I can.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 11:21:28 am by Newly Newfed »
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline dviney

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: We have a new addition...and it's an ankle-biter!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 02:44:50 pm »
Poor Sierra, I can relate.  My dad has never made any bones about the fact that he thinks my brothers soft coated wheaton is heads and tails above our newfies.  He pushes them away and loves on my brother's dog.  But he is the golden boy. We just got a newfie pup last week, and I hold him back from visitors until they say hello to Olive the 5 year old.  It's like protecting your kids, your dander gets up when you think one of them is not being treated right.  You have it together though, so no worries!  

Offline DAMAGE

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Raemi, Breccan and the late, great, Drago & Chloe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 03:22:47 pm »
Congratulation s on the new addition. I agree, for little dogs, Paps are cute. However, the future father-in-law issue. I'm afraid I would see it as: "if you can't love them both then you don't get visited by either"!  That's like grandparents saying only one of their grandkids is loveable so no birthday gifts or outings or visits for any of the other grandkids. Not fair, not right, so tell him to shape up or Cody & Sierra never will play with those toys at his house. MHOYMV :)
Dana
& The George Saints
"Raemi"
"Breccan"

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 03:43:16 pm »
Congrats! I'm with you on the small dogs, but some of them really are too cute ;)

Try to look at it this way, people who are attracted to small dogs are going to come up to you and go to Cody first, Big dog lovers are going to come to Sierra, most people will go to a puppy first :-\

As someone who used to be afraid of dogs, (attacked as a child)I can somewhat appreciate that people are more afraid of big dogs than small dogs. However, I believe it only applies to strange dogs.

We have the same double-standard within our family for dogs. Starting as an 8 pound puppy, Phelan was never allowed to go anywhere that a certain family member was, and I appreciated that she is afraid of dogs and left him at home but BF's Aunt could always bring her white fuzzball ??? Then the family member went and got her own dog, a papillon, and she is allowed to attend all the family events ??? It drives me crazy but I've filed them in the ignorant category and try to look at it as if Phelan is better off not being subjected to them.

If you can win the fight, let me know ;)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 03:49:12 pm »
Congrats on the new addition!  I love paps, they are on my future breed list.  they are sooo intelligent, fairly outgoing and so energetic, not to mention cute too.  ;D

I think part of why everyone is giving Cody more attention right now is b/c he's new.  He's also a puppy and people will fawn over puppies much faster than anything else, no matter what breed your other dog is.  Just be patient and they will come around once Cody's newness wears off.

And some people will just enjoy small dogs more.  I'm sure you will meet just as many people who like big dogs more.  My parents love all my dogs the same (although my mom isn't always overly happy to see Nigel) but when I was living at my parents for 1.5 years before finally getting out here.......... ..........my dad totally fell for Nigel and Posey.  I think part of it was b/c he just hadn't been around small dogs before so they were kind of a new experience.  And partly b/c they were "fun".  Posey is a lap dog which surprisingly, my dad loved.  Never thought I would see that from the guy who wants all dogs to live outside.  And Nigel loves to fetch so that won him over that way.  This coming from the guy who only wanted a collie or shepherd as a family dog.  I can totally see them getting an ankle biter down the road (much to the dismay of my mom who doesn't care for small dogs.......... .lol)

With my pack, Gunther is always the one that turns heads.  Even if I have them all together.  Posey is the next one they usually gravitate towards.  Then keiko.  Poor Nigel is usually last, probably b/c his coloring is nothing special and he looks like 1000 other dogs out there.

I think if you give it some time, things will settle down and Sierra will soon start getting more of the attention she deserves.  As for your future FIL..........w ell, not much you can do about that.  But I do agree that if he can't start treating them the same, I would simply not bring either of them over or let him see either of them.  See how he likes them apples!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 03:51:36 pm by ZooCrew »

lookingfornewf

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 04:03:30 pm »
Sorry you live so far away or I would run right over and give Sierra all the attention she deserves. ;D
Puppies will always get more attention than grown dogs, hopefully it will even out as the pup gets older.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 04:51:18 pm »
I guess I'm just overly sensitive to what Sierra could be thinking.  She was so used to having the attention and all she wants when she sees someone is to love up to them.  She craves attention and now people literally turn their back on her to pet the pup.  I try to make up for it, but she knows there are other people there and then she'll start to whine.  Then people either give her a dirty look or simply ignore her.  She'd be happy just to be given a few pets on the head, and I can't help but feel terrible for her.  She's just such a big love and to be denied the chance to show people how affectionate she is must be killing her.  I sort of blame Cody for Sierra being unhappy, but he can't help it if he's young and cute.  I know it's not fair to blame him.  I just have to figure out how to get over the whole "you-dissed-my-baby-how-dare-you?" feeling.

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 05:11:37 pm »
Tipper gets completely overlooked by people as well--Jenny catches everyone's attention, so much so that it seems like people don't even notice that he's there. But the difference from your situation is that Tipper doesn't care too much since he's much more of a "dog's dog" instead of a "people dog."

I hope that things balance out soon--maybe you can have friends come over and shower Sierra with attention for a while so she doesn't feel left out of her opportunity to love.  :)
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 10:11:34 am »
I wouldn't like the playing favorites thing, either.   :-\  None of my in-laws are really big dog people.  They have been polite to our dogs, but have never seemed very interested either.  They probably think that I've taken their son to the dogs.  Ha, ha!    :D

Sadly, this is pretty typical when there is a new baby (human or furry) in the family, but there are ways to help, so here's what I'd do!  How about dressing up Sierra in a pretty bandana or bright, spangly collar or something fancy and then taking her out to somewhere that's guaranteed to get her lots of TLC like a park or Petsmart or something?  Phooey with the darn in-laws ( :)  ::)), their loss!!!  Pretty Sierra just needs to find lots of us big paw people and she'll have that big smile & happy bounce in her step from being all loved up by everyone.  I just wish that I could help, I would really loooooove to pet her!!   :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 11:20:49 am »
Here are some pics of Cody.  He is such a cutie.  And I feel better about things after I went home last night and saw that the girls and Jeff aren't slighting Sierra in any way.  At least she knows she can count on her family to still love her.  Even if Jeff did let Cody sleep in bed with us.  :-\  I agreed because I knew it was the only way I'd get any sleep.  He hates his crate and he has been keeping everybody awake the last few nights.  I felt a little bad for Sierra because she isn't allowed in the bedroom, but until I figure out how to keep her from the cat food and litter, she can't be in our room.  Anyway, the little poophead snuggled right between me and Jeff and fell fast asleep, didn't hear a peep from him all night.

Here are the pics.  After I got to work, I realized I forgot to download my two favorites.  I'll add them later.

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

angelsmama

Re: We have a new addition...and it's an ankle-biter! UPDATED W/PICS!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 11:23:26 am »
ooommmggg he is so freaking adorable!!!!

lookingfornewf

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 11:45:22 am »
SIERRA IS THE PRETTIEST, SIERRA IS THE BEST, SIERRA IS WONDERFUL. SIERRA IS BEAUTIFUL!
ok, now can I say that is a really cute puppy. If he's making Sierra too jealous you can send either one of them on their way to Canada to me.
Just yesterday I was walking Clifford by a car full of teenage boys and one of them rolled down the window, I was expecting some rude comment, instead " Is that a Newfoundland? Wow! He's beautiful" So there are definately lots of people who appreciate the big dogs too.
Back to the little dog, even my husband gets a little jealous. He has an antique car he drives in parades, we take the Jack Russel with us and she hangs her head out the window. There are almost always more comments on cute dog than his rare antique car.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 12:05:35 pm »
I gotta admit, that is one cute puppy.  But Sierra is by far prettier.  And I just know, that she's going to be the best big sister to him ever.   :-* :-* :-*

BTW I just love how shiney her coat is!  What are you doing to get it like that?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 12:06:06 pm by London_Pyr_Lover »
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 12:06:31 pm »
Awwww. Cody sure is cute. Love the ears. I will always have a special place in my heart for BP's though. I love the pic of Sierra eating her food with Cody trying to get some, and I especially like the one of Cody playing and Sierra looking at him like...What are you doing? Hehe. Too Cute. I think they will be the best of friends in no time. I know how you feel regarding Sierra not getting attention.I'm sure the newness of Cody will wear off soon.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 12:47:40 pm »
I'll pass the shiny fur compliment on to Sierra...she'll be happy to hear it.  Actually, I'm not doing anythng special for it.  I just give her Canidae dry food and daily fish oil pills.  She would look much better and shinier, but her hair is just starting to grow back after another (and her last!) vet visit where they had to clip her down really short.  And she actually is in need of a bath.  She snuck into the frog pond again and then rolled in the dirt to dry off.  She stinks.  :D

She really is a good big sister already.  She's so tolerant of the little dork.  He starts jumping around her trying to bat at her face and jumping on her back and pulling her tail and she just sits like a good girl and looks at me as if she's saying "Please explain to me again why we didn't leave him in Ohio?"  And when he's in his crate and upset about it, she lays with her face right at the door so they can touch noses.  I HAVE to get a picture of that!

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret