Author Topic: What can I use to turn pink fur white again?  (Read 17335 times)

Offline podiecat

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
What can I use to turn pink fur white again?
« on: September 05, 2008, 05:53:10 am »
Does anyone have tips for cleaning white pyr-type fur after it has become pink from  chewing and holding raw bones as well as from being in season?  I was just wondering how to keep a white dog white.  Her feet, under her chin and her rear end are the most pink, even after washing.....

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: What can I use to turn pink fur white again?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 08:32:19 am »
You can use whitening shampoo...just leave it on for about 10 min and then rinse ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 08:33:14 am »
I think that there are Whitening "wipes" out there somewhere.  Also Olesya and Jane I think told me to just use feminin Hygene wipes on Naja's girly bits when the fur becomes discolored "down there".  ;)

The whitening shampoo is a good idea too, you said Lia is over a year old?  I only say that because I have been advised not to use it on a dog that is under a year old as their skin is very sensitive.  ;) :)

BTW  So glad to see you posting again.  :)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline podiecat

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 10:32:51 am »
Thanks to each of you.  Lia and I are fine now.  We just came home from the holistic vet check-up and are making great progress.  I think her 'heat' came at a good time - we need to just stay home and relax with each other so we can heal from all we have been through. Once Lia's hormones have settled she will be spayed.  She's amazing and we are a perfect match.  And although she is part pyr, we have managed to cut the barking out almost completely and effortlessly.  When she needs to tell me something, she now comes right over to me and talks in a funny muffled barkish language that's easy on the ears.  What a gentle love!!!!!

Are the whitening wipes in places like Petsmart?  Are those the same as the eye wipes for white dogs?  Is there a name brand that you can recommend?  I take it that the feminine hygiene wipes are for humans and can be found in a drugstore?   Do you think wiping with a peroxide/water mixture would be just as safe and effective?

Alex, thanks for cracking me up with your descriptive "Naja's girly bits" .  What a hoot!!!

If anyone wants to send me a PM, please put your email address in the PM if you want me to reply.  I can receive PMs but for some reason I'm unable to send them..... 

Thanks for the welcome back,  it means a lot to me......

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 10:38:14 am »
I would think the peroxide water mixture would be safe.  If you can rinse your mouth with it then it should be safe on paws and such.  I might be careful around eyes but the rest should be okay. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 10:50:22 am »
I think the wipes should be available at Petsmart, I couldn't tell you the name of them though, I am horribly fogetful, and am at work right now.  But I will try to find it and post it here for you.  :)

The "funny muffled barkish language" you talk about sounds really cute!  Naja only does that when she's sleeping or "talking back" to me.  lol  ::)  Otherwise, cover your ears!  She's a loud one!!   :D

angelsmama

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 10:58:20 am »
My Dalmatian that died almost 3 years ago had a chronic stink. We found one thing that stopped the smell, and made the white on her just dazzle.

1/3 baking soda, 1/3 peroxide, 1/3 Dawn Dishwashing Liquid.

Just totally soak the dog, lather them up and let it sit a few minutes. Be sure to avoid the eyes of course.  Rinse and if needed repeat. I always did Dotty twice with it. It was a big help on her for a while, and  kept her from smelling like a Frito all the time haha (I swear she smelled like a Frito!)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 11:02:16 am »
Okay, I've been looking for the wipes, and I think I might've made it up.  I can't for the life of me find "whitening wipes".  I've found whitening shampoos, and grooming wipes, but no whitening wipes. 

Sorry :-[ :)

Offline podiecat

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 01:01:27 pm »
Oh good - peroxide/water mixture, with or without the Dawn (depending how bad it gets) , will be easy.   And I must ad that Lia smells quite a bit worse than a Frito - even my hands have the odor after petting her lots...... but I love her anyway!   

Thanks to all of you......

Offline podiecat

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 06:27:50 am »
Someone just recommended that I use laundry bluing to clean Lia's discoloration.  Do you think that is absolutely safe for dogs?  I was told that you know when it's washed out completely because the blue disappears.  i don't know what the chemicals in bluing are though.....  thanks....

Offline KatysTank

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Mya
    • View Profile

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 01:55:32 pm »
Hmmm, you could streak the rest of her with pink, and then she could be cotton candy for Halloween!  ::)
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline podiecat

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 02:39:33 pm »
This is the chemical, ferric hexacyanoferra te.  Or they use a synthetic one.  I still have not found whether or not this is toxic to dogs.  It sounds awful but I've been told it rinses out completely and it's not toxic.  The first link said it does NOT rinse out and that it's purpose is to leave a bit of blue dye.

Oh, and as for the pink stripes - she is in heat so maybe if Lia flies around a bit she will have pink stripes.....   UGGH!!! 

She's not smelling too sweet either.  Since it takes a whole breezy day in the sunshine for her to dry out after a bath, I'm waiting as long as possible.  What about the dry bath products they sell.  Are they toxic?  Do they work for doggy odors?  If I had a choice I would rather she be yellow and pink rather than smelly......

Thanks for the replies.....