Author Topic: What commands does your Big Paw know?  (Read 8442 times)

Offline CadillacQueen

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
What commands does your Big Paw know?
« on: September 07, 2008, 01:32:02 am »
When I got MeatLoaf from the rescue centre {he's a Saint Bernard X Old English Mastiff}, he wasn't trained at all, except for 'sit'.

Because I had a young daughter at the time, I spent lots of money and time with a private large-breed dog trainer and heaps of personal one-on-one training time, to make it safe for them both.

MeatLoaf knows both verbal and non-verbal commands. Non-verbal being the same as his verbal commands, but in Auslan, which is the Australian version of sign language.
We have a few friends, as well as my step-brother, who are at various levels of being either deaf or mute, and this makes it easier for them to give him commands if I'm unavaliable.
Also, if I can't speak {like being restrained by an attacker} I can still command him using hand signals.

A few of the things I've personally taught him are:

When I go to the door to open it, he gets to my right in a way that allows him to see a hand-signal and to get through the doorway easily {like if I was being attacked}.

He won't eat anything thrown on the ground, or drink water from a stream or pond. I grew up in the bush, where dingo bait was poisoned meat left on the ground, and our dogs were taught only to eat things that they found in their personal bowls. If we go out walking in an off-leash area, I know he cannot be poisoned by eating or drinking bait.

He was worked with by my trainer and my daughter, so that he knows that she's an important member of the family, and she can give him commands too. This, of course, meant she'd constantly fire "sit,roll over, fetch, beg, drop it!" all at once, and he'd go crazy trying to do it all. :D

He is also a child safety officer. Well, not really, but that's what I call him! One step towards a road and he blocks the way with his body, same goes with the kitchen, pool and bathroom.
Difficult at first, when I tried to give her a bath and he'd constantly leap in front of us and block our way. Being too tall to step over, and too heavy to knee-nudge out the way.

He can fetch balls and frisbees, too.

So, what commands does your Paw know, and how did you teach them?
I'm looking for what ideas others have, and maybe some more things I can teach him.

By the way, is he too old to teach new commands to?

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: What commands does your Big Paw know?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 05:58:56 am »
Well mine know "Bark at the Burglar'!  They are Pyrs so that was easy to teach!!

Edie knows sit, down, finish,off, stay, wait all by hand signals as well as verbal.  But I am pretty lax about training specific commands - they all are a joy to live with!

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 06:00:34 am »
Wow!  That's impressive!  Can Meatloaf come and visit to teach our girl a thing or two?

Ursa just started training but she's already learned "watch me", "sit" and "down".  She does better on hand signals than on words so we've really been reinforcing those.  
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 11:24:47 am »
Kentucky and Derby both know:

Sit
Down
Roll Over
Shake
Stay (although they don't always follow this)
Inside - to get in their crates
Crawl (army crawl on their bellies)
Leave it (only works when you put a treat or their food down and tell them to leave it, not if they already have ahold of something - we're working on that)
"OK" - means they can take whatever we put down and said "Leave it"

and, of course, "EH-EH" means "stop whatever you're doing right NOW!"
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 11:34:39 am »
Holly, your post had me in stitches.  You said what I was gonna say about my pups, only soooo much better. LOL   ;D  :D

Ok, besides the basics like "sit" & "down" that my pups know, I can add a couple more.  Sammy knows "no dirt" means that he can't dig or lay in his dirt hole right then.  He gets that "Ahhhhh Mom!" look on face, but then he walks right by his favorite spot and goes to do his potty business.  Now if you turn your back for more than a minute or two though?  All bets are off & he's in the dirt.   ;)  ;D  Oh & he can tell time.  Breakfast & dinner time, that is.  Ha, ha!

Daisy knows the difference between "lay on the sofa" and "lay on the loveseat".   :D  :D  Nah, they're not spoiled.    

Cassie knows that if she's begging too much, she'd better lay down and just give big, sad, intense eyes.  Otherwise she won't get any treat b/c she was too pushy.  She also will "give a paw" (shake hands).

Meatloaf sounds like a very impressive pup!  Wow, you've done a wonderful thing with all of the training.   :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 12:29:35 pm »
Maggie knows..
Sit
Lay Down
Play Dead
Shake
Other Paw
Hold It
Come
Stay
Leave It
Drop It

eta: Maggie also knows go to bed which basically means get inside my bedroom now.
and she knows to find me. If people tell her to find Megan.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 06:49:17 pm by dober_gurl »
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 12:53:32 pm »
Titan knows:
sit, down, stay (up to 4 hours), come, heel (left and right), roll over, paw, back up, back off, out, load, hup, gee, haw, stand, kennel, bed, easy (when he gets intimidated at times), potty (say once for pee, 2x poop)

Jazmine (all hand signals since she is deaf)
sit, down, stay, come, heel, off, bed, kennel,
with both paws  - wave, high five, paw
Pray, bow, roll over, away, back,

We have the book 101 tricks..by chalcey and her owner...the weimer.  Great book!!!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 12:54:06 pm by Guardian Angel's White lightning »

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 04:09:26 pm »
Let's see mine know verbal and hand signals for sit, lay down, stay, shake, and high five.  They also know off, stop, back up, forward, load, out (unload), in, pick up your crumbs, target, through, over, up, behind you, find, and get (as in find your ball or get your ball).  Almost forgot the most crucial ones are leave it, spit it out, and drop it.

Kaila is learning commando (belly crawl).

Neither will accept food from strangers even if I am standing there.  They only accept food from friends that I invite into the house.  They also know that enough means that mom has finally had enough so to shape up and behave.  They know that park it means sit or lay down, whichever I had already told them to do that they ignored in the first place and that bedtime means absolutely no  more chewing on anything or the toy will be taken away.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 05:04:10 pm »
Gunther knows both verbal and hand signals, sit, lay down, up, turn around, shake (both paws), crawl, hug, back (up).  We're working on "beg" but it's hard for his long body.........l ol.  He also knows leave it, come, wait, watch me, quiet, slow up, inside, outside, out (leave the room/area), treat, seepy (going to bed), go lay down (go lay on his bed), be nice, foodies (dinner time), walk, park, beach, ride, okay (release from command), it's okay (used when something is bothering him), ENOUGH! (last command given before time out so he better stop what he's doing now!)

Keiko knows all of the above, in addition to: beg, dance, speak, find it, shake it off (before coming inside when raining).  We're working on getting her to howl on command.

Well, Nigel and Posey aren't big paws but they both know the basics, sit, lay down, shake, crawl, wait, leave it.  As well as all the vocal commands.  Working on "speak" and "beg"  Harder to get things through to them b/c their attentions spans are soooooo small!  :o  ::)  :P

Offline CadillacQueen

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 05:57:31 pm »
I love that Meatloaf is a "Child Safety Officer", gotta love the big paws!!

One of his commands is 'watch Scarlet'.
He'll follow her, lie down next to her when she sits down, nudge her away from water, strangers and roads, and he won't leave her until I come back to take her away.
When she was a toddler she used to have overalls with a strap on the back, and he'd pick her up by the strap and carry her away from 'danger'.
It was sweet to see her dangling from this big dog's mouth, little legs peddling at the air, giggling and squealing "Pu' me dow' Meatie!".
She used to run towards the road just to get him to chase her and carry her.

jesday

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 06:31:49 pm »
My bubs know 'sit' and 'sit pretty' Sit is "Okay, okay my butt is just barely touching the ground now give me the treat." Sit Pretty is sitting side my side, full butt contact, attention on me, then soft mouth taking treat.

They now know 'Leave it' but they think the Chihuahua will make that bad noise again if they don't. They wouldn't leave him alone until I hid a rolled up newspaper behind my back. When they went into play with wind-up toy mode. I said "leave it" and smacked the paper in my hands creating quite a noise. They thought it came from him and won't go near him. Of course the king struts right past them now. :D

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 06:51:56 pm »
Little Grace knows:
Sit or park it, back up, lie down, get in bed, give paw or just paw, give kisses or you love your mama?, leave it, car ride, dinner time, go sleep sleep, and is that Roscoe?.

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 07:30:10 am »
Kira knows sit, lay, come, room(her crate), move it(when they are in the way) quiet, release and outside.  She has always been an easy to train and obey kinda girl.

Gunner on the other hand just knows sit and outside.  tell him quiet and he "talks" even louder.  He isnt consistant with come yet if Kira is in the room and the command is given he will follow her but if he is by himself he looks at you like,"are you talking to me".
I need to get him back into puppy classes.  He had 4 sessions left with his last trainer and she fell ill and her replacement was a monster.  She would grab Gunner by his scruff and drag him where she wanted him to go.  SEVERAL of his pup pals quit that class as well because of her.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 08:07:38 am »
Titan knows:
 stay (up to 4 hours

Lauren, you can't be serious!  Why in the world would you leave Titan on stay for 4 hours  ??? ??? ??? :-\
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 08:11:11 am by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Lyn

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 08:33:26 am »
Bubba knows, NO!.. lol, Sit, Down, Stay, Come, Off, Enough, Leave it, Up (our version of stand since he generally will sit for everything, it comes in handy at the vet's for exams), Move (for when he's in the way), Back up (mainly used when he's between the couch and the coffee table and can't turn around, I sometimes add the beep beep beep for effect. LOL), Shake Paw, Roll Over (I laugh everytime he rolls over since if the area isn't big enough he takes out chairs and people in the process, LOL), Where's Charlie? (Meaning go find him.. Charlie is our outside stray kitty and Bubba's best friend), Kisses... Meaning put your nose as close as possible to my face, lol. Occasionally he'll give you a lick but mainly he wants his nose kissed.  :D Hmmmm.. I think that's it.

Lola knows, NO! Sit, Down, Stay, Come, Off, Enough, Leave it, Move, Back Up (Yup I add the beep beep to her too. :D ), Shake Paw (Lola's shake is more like a punch though, lol) Up. Pretty much the same commands Bubba knows.

They both know.. Food, Don't (meaning don't even start barking, lol) Go to bed, Daddy's home! which mean run as fast as you can to the door and tackle him as soon as he comes in. LMAO Your brothers home! LOL Meaning my son just get off the school bus and is walking up the driveway.. tackle him as soon as he comes in the door. :D Plus Lola will find Bubba if you ask her where he is. Yet if you ask Bubba where Lola is he will grunt and go back to sleep. As if to say I don't know but leave her there. LOL

Forgot heel.. Lola is better at it then Bubba. He's horrible to walk.  :(
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 08:37:39 am by Lyn »