Author Topic: Great Dane puppy and yorkie puppy?  (Read 2498 times)

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Great Dane puppy and yorkie puppy?
« on: September 07, 2008, 12:35:38 am »
Hi All!
I had asked questions a while back about a Newf I was getting, well, it fell through as the breeder decided to keep him. Anyhow, in the meantime I have been dog sitting for a Great Dane, at a co-workers home, and I've fallen in love. My husband brought home a Yorkie puppy about 2 weeks ago, someone at work found the little guy and my hubby liked him. Anyway, to make a long story short, would a Great Dane (or a Newf puppy), be ok with a 8 lb. Yorkie, or will they play too rough? I know how big Newfs are at only 12 weeks (the boy we want is 28 lbs at 12 weeks), and I also know how hard they play, and the Yorkie (Charger) loves to play too. Does anyone have experience with big dogs and little dogs that are both young (Charge appears to be about 7-9 months old)? I wouldn't want the Yorkie to get hurt (although I love the big dogs, and want one madly).

Or, we're in MN, does anyone know of rescue groups we could look into, that would maybe have adult dogs that would be more gentle?

Thanks!
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

lorim2

Re: Great Dane puppy and yorkie puppy?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 11:35:32 am »
We are def proof that big and little can live together...My chihuahuas were both 8 yrs old when we got Marley and Lanie..The big pups were put in their place early on by the chi's and not we all live in harmony...Not to say that Marley still doesnt try to be the alpha but boy does it make for great entertainment. I dont worry about Monica or Jewel in the least around here.  If anything I worry about Marley and Lanie!!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Great Dane puppy and yorkie puppy?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 04:38:29 pm »
Yes it can be done.  Obviously if you have a young large breed puppy they will be a bit rough in their play.  But if the small breed pup is also a puppy, I think it will be tit for tat as the small breed will be quicker and more agile and will be able to get away when it wants to.  Not that they shouldn't be supervised, but 2 puppies can usually work things out.

Look at my avatar.  Posey is 9.5 lbs, Nigel 15.5 lbs.  When they test stayed at our house when we were thinking of adopting them, they were 3 mo old and pretty tiny.  Gunther was a little over a year, def. not small........l ol.  Although he and Posey don't play (except when she's in heat), Nigel does play with him.  For the most part, Gunther is laying down and he mouths and brings out his big foot.  If he is standing, he runs up and pokes Nigel, then runs away trying to get Nigel to chase him, which he does when he gets ticked off enough.......l ol.

As for local rescues, there aren't alot in Mn (I know I used to live there).
I did find this girl........http://www.adoptapet.com/cgi-bin/public/petsearch.cgi/pet_details?pet_id=1641631&do_count=1

I think your best bet though is petfinder.com.  You won't find much in Mn, but WI usually has a number to choose from.