Author Topic: NDR - anyone gone to grad school after working for several years?  (Read 5564 times)

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
NDR - anyone gone to grad school after working for several years?
« on: September 09, 2008, 06:38:19 pm »
It's been a while since I've posted here. I've lurked at times, though, trying to keep up.

I have a mostly non-dog-related question to ask. I am looking at going to graduate school in a different subject than what I studied as an undergrad. If I do this, I will be returning full-time. My intent is to get a Master's, then a PhD, and teach at a university.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I am concerned about a number of things, the top two being: getting into a program without the background in the subject and funding (can I get enough aid in various forms - grants, loans, work as a TA - to cover everything, especially the dogs and cat?). I would being selling my house (will most likely move to attend school), but I shouldn't make all that much off of it and what I do make will go towards bills.

Any thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 08:49:53 pm by macybean »

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: NDR - anyone gone to grad school after working for several years?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 06:57:04 pm »
No experience with this myself but my SIL just sold everything she owns and went to grad school in Milan to study fashion!  She graduated from college in 2005 with a degree in Business, so it's definitely a change.  She got a great job right out of college but wanted to try something new.  I say go for it if you have a definite goal in mind.  Good luck! 
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 08:07:27 pm »
Good for you!!!  Any chance the field is psychology (If so, I would have much more input....)?  In general, I have found that graduate school is much more about motivation, dedication, and how long you are willing to jump through all the dang hoops for what you want- more so than anything else! In my program, there were two individuals who began with degrees outside the field.  I believe that they had to work a bit harder than the rest of us the first year; after that, everything just about equaled out.  So, don't be discouraged and go for it!!!!!

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 08:44:19 pm »
Holly-I responded to your pm. Thank you!

Indy-Actually, I considered social psychology as my other option, but I'm going with communication studies. My BA is in English. I have no research experience, so I figure that's one large hole on my applications for either of those programs (that and the small amount of classwork I have in the subject). What is your focus in psychology?

I can definitely be motivated and dedicated, so that's good news! ;)

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 09:39:24 pm »
I recently took the plunge and returned to grad school after several years of just plain working.  I'm keeping in my field of practice - social work - so I don't have to deal with that barrier.

I wouldn't worry too much about the changing fields thing.  So many people get BS (as in bull sh**, not Bachelor's of Science) degrees in things like basketweaving and then go on to Grad school that it doesn't matter. 

Are there no schools close to you?  Unless you are trying to Ivy League it, or have a very specific goal in mind in which you'd need a very specific school or program that a school offers, I wouldn't just give up everything. The PhD thing is a different story, but many people commute fairly long distances for that.

I go to Grad School while working full-time (I go part- time, but am Advanced Standing due to my undergrad degree, so I cut out several otherwise required credits) and am able to get by without living on loans.  Hence, I can pound it out in two years, vs. the traditional three years part- time.  The scary thing about living on loans is that six months after graduation the collection man comes calling, and it's going to be the size of a mortgage payment. Which is great, education typically pays for itself, especially if you have a job that you love getting out of bed for.  But don't take out more than you have too!

EDIT:  My two cents on psychology.  It's a great degree, and I minored in it for my undergrad.  Very interesting.  But as to usefulness, it's really a state by state thing (billing, etc.).  In Michigan we like to say (or I like to say), "Friends don't let friends major in psychology."  This is because the job market is so bleak in our state for most people in this field because of licensing thingy-ma-gobs.  For billing, they want social work, OT, etc.  And in doing a Master's program, you generally  have to be pretty dedicated to the idea of going for the PhD following it - which can be very competative and hard to get into.  People wait years for internships, etc.  So for people interested in Psychology, I like to point out, "Social Work, the other white meat."  Not just because I'm a social worker, but because I have MSW co-workers getting head hunted while at work.  While the pay isn't big in the field (college educators is another matter), they tend to be more in demand in some areas. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 09:48:04 pm by Rajas Mom »
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 02:18:07 pm »
I have to totally applaud your ambition!  I actually went straight from undergrad to grad school because I was afraid that I would get too side tracked and never find my way back to school.  I just completed my doctorate in clinical psychology last December and I was so ready to be done (course work, residency/internship, dissertation)!!!!

My husband, however, returned to school after several years in the work field.  The return was virtually seamless and he often commented on how different it felt to be back in school since he had had a break and actually WANTED to be there.  He LOVED it and had no problems. 

All in all, I firmly stick to my position that graduate school is more about endurance than anything else.

As far as your options....Do you have teaching experience? Your English degree will serve you well, as much of grad school necessitates that you be able to express/communicate your thoughts efficiently.  So, that's a plus!

I'm not sure about how the communication field works, but most PhD-level university positions require research and publications. You shouldn't have any problems getting into a Master's program without research experience, but you'll want to make sure that you are involved in research at the onset of your program.  It might not hurt to contact local universities now and see if you can volunteer to help with ongoing research designs just so you  can get some  experience under your belt now....and it would give you a taste of the research world and whether or not you even like it (since it will likely be a part of your job in some fashion).

I'm crossing my fingers for you!!! 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 02:29:12 pm by IndyFurKiddos »

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 02:21:54 pm »
I have no experience with this but I have been kicking around the idea on getting my master's in something completely different than my BS (that was both bullsh!t and bachelor of science - it took some of the one to get the other   ;D).  Just wanted to say good luck!
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 03:21:32 pm »
I appreciate that Grad students tend to be a little more mature but be prepared to give your head a good shake every now and then ;)

LOL!!!!  That cracked me up!!!!!  Although...gra d psychology students...the y don't always get much better!!! :)  Let's just say I often kept my distance! :)

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 03:44:10 pm »
Thank you all for your answers. It's very helpful to get other perspectives!