Author Topic: NDR Feral kittens  (Read 1323 times)

jesday

NDR Feral kittens
« on: September 12, 2008, 04:39:27 pm »
Since many of you have or are fostering cats/kittens I wondered what you might do.

We live up in the country on 10 acres surrounded by other 10 acre lots and National forest. There is a farm about 20-25 acres away that has the typical barn cats running around. One cat has taken refuge in a culvert under our driveway and has up to 3 kittens in there with her. I'm sure she must have come from the barn. She is truly feral, not just a stray. Totally wild. She has hissed at me and I'm sure would love to take my face off.

So my question is do I just let them be? Of course now that I have discovered them I worry about them all the time. I saw the mom slink through a few times this winter which was extreme and was surprised to see she made it. Once we release the hounds (Building a 3 acre fence around house) I'm sure they will take off.

I've resisted the urge to put out food and water and even if I manage to catch them there will just be others. Am I being naive thinking they are not the same as house kittens and will get along just as well as any other small animal out here?

jesday

Re: NDR Feral kittens
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 03:28:26 am »
That's kind of what my instinct was telling me. I'll contact our local shelter to see if they have a humane trap I can borrow.

The woman with the farm is very cavalier. She boards and has training sessions with quarter horses. Although she keeps the horses penned up she lets a small pony, burro and goats just roam around. I have almost hit the goats with my car coming around the curve. I asked her if she needed help rounding them up but she felt it was perfectly natural and that they wouldn't wander too far from the safety of the herd ???

There is no hope she will attempt to S/N her cats. They're barn cats that help keep the mice population down and there are enough predators around to keep the cat population down,  those being coyotes and owls :P

It's not like I DON'T MIND SEVERAL PACKS OF COYOTES HANGN' AROUND >:(

Thanks for the suggestions