Author Topic: An update on Demon... and getting another kitty  (Read 3758 times)

Lyn

An update on Demon... and getting another kitty
« on: September 15, 2008, 05:25:08 am »
First the evil Demon update. :D For those that don't know Demon is the kitten we adopted from the humane society in July. He's is doing alot better. I found out why his respiratory infection keep reacurring. He has FHV-1.. aka Feline herpes. He will always have it and periodically shed the virus... and it's contagious to other cats and yes he has now infected one of my other cats.. my girly kitty Lucy. Yet they are kept seperate and I thought I was careful as to not spread it. :( Luckily she has a very mild case.. just a drippy nose. But now she will also be a carrier. The only one not affected so far is Fido my older guy with kidney failure.

So yeah.. thanks to the humane society all my cats and any future cats I bring into this household could potentially become carriers. Nice eh? Just what I've always wanted.  ::) >:(

Anyway.. enough ranting. I was told about a litter of Himalayan kittens that contracted FHV-1 from their mother. Obviously noone is showing any interest in them. Soooo we are thinking about adopting one so Demon has a buddy. Demon is already has it and my other cats have already been exposed to it.. so what's the difference right? I've always wanted a Himi. We are going to see them later this afternoon. They are not well enough or old enough to leave their mom yet. We should be able to bring the little one home around Oct 1st.

Yup I'm turning into the crazy cat lady. LOL

Ooops forgot the new Demon pictures. Don't mind the mess.. this is my parents part of the house. LOL
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 05:30:29 am by Lyn »

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: An update on Demon... and getting another kitty
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 05:37:54 am »
I just rescued 2 kittens I found in my yard this summer. I tried to catch the momma and ended up with xrays & shots  :'( Anyway the male has herpes too so now all of mine were exposed. So far (knock on wood) no one else has caught it. I have 2 special needs older kittys so it just what I need more trips to the vet for rx's. Watch out!! kittys can end up like dirty dishes they just come out of everywhere!! I had up to 9 in the house full time (so sick of scoopng litter). I was down to 4 and now back up to 6. Don't suppose it will ever end ::)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 05:39:53 am by vmimom2006 »
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 05:43:21 am »
True.. still frustrating though.

From what I've been reading more cats are probably carrying the herpes virus than not. Some never show symptoms and some do. But they are only contagious when showing symptoms.

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 05:53:00 am »
I'm so sorry about your cats getting this illness, however, I think it's great that you are considering adopting a Himi kitten! I have a Himi and he is the BEST cat I have ever had. He actually thinks he's a dog and does his best to act like one. He is so very mellow, sweet, and Buddha-like. I adore him. The only downside is the grooming--he has never liked it and still doesn't even after 14 yrs of brushing him!  ::)
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 08:28:52 am »
Wow - I had no idea there was such a disease. I know about Feline Leukemia, of course, but I've never heard of Feline Herpes. That is so sad...is it fatal in kitties, or is it just a life long pain in the butt that's contagious?
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 12:02:44 pm »
Is Demon giving us the hairy eyeball in that one pic???  He is a handsome little devil!

Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

List

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 04:35:45 pm »
1 of my cats has feline herpes and spread it to my other 2. Luckily, it only presents itself as mild conjunctivits and mild URI when they are stressed. Just a tip though, L-Lysine is an amino acid that helps control the symptoms of feline herpes. I just use it when they have flare ups, but its good to have on hand   ;)