Author Topic: Dr Laura doesn't get it!  (Read 1311 times)

jesday

Dr Laura doesn't get it!
« on: September 15, 2008, 02:46:30 pm »
I'm not particularly a cat person, nor is this a cat forum, but I've been stewing about this all day.

Listening to Dr Laura today a young woman called upset about two cats she had had for 12 years. She thought she couldn't get pregnant so these were her babies. Well she did get pregnant and her baby turned out to have severe allergies to her cats. She thought she had turned them over to a no-kill shelter. Calling a few days later to check on their adoption status, to her horror, her babies had been destroyed. She was distraught and was having a hard time getting over the loss.

Dr Laura's response was paraphrased as, 'You are too self absorbed. You should be turning all your attentions on your baby. I really don't understand what you are soo distraught  about.' She then relayed an example of a poodle she had before her son was born. After he was born the dog apparently snapped at the baby and was out the door within 2 minutes, given to the next door neighbor. The dog lived another 10-15 years, but the point was nothing was more important than her son.

The woman was given a royal dressing down for being this upset. >:(

I wish I had the poor woman's address so I could write her and let her know she is not abnormal for her grieving, particularly due to the unfortunate circumstances. She was not being self absorbed and her first concern was for her child which is why she removed the cats in the first place. :'( :'(

I wish I could let her know how very sorry I was for her loss, tell her it was okay to be so sad, and give her the picture of them waiting at the rainbow bridge.

I'm sure now, not only is she still sad but is even more upset for being upset.

Message to her through the universe - Cry, cry and cry some more. Soon your tears will lessen and be replaced by sweet memories you can share with your beautiful new baby.

Sorry for the rant, but come on. How cold can you be?! 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 02:47:28 pm by El'skids »