Author Topic: dog food  (Read 4808 times)

Viking Lady

dog food
« on: October 20, 2008, 10:57:50 am »
I went to Petsmart the other day to get the conditioner for Luke and started talking to a lady there that worked for a dog food company....Blu e something. Anyway, after a loooong conversation she convinced me that the food I've been feeding Luke has no nutritional value. I started reading more and there is very little meat in it. I am using Purina Puppy Chow because that is what he was being given when I got him. Her brand costs twice as much as what I have been getting. Some of the food you guys talk about I don't recognize, but I thought it was due to our different locations. Right now he is getting dry puppy chow and I have just started adding half a can of Pedigree puppy food for variety. My poor giant....

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: dog food
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 11:21:32 am »
You were probably talking with a rep from Blue Buffalo.  It's a pretty good quality food if you wanted to try it out.

Viking Lady

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 11:41:58 am »
Well.......I guess that answers my question. The recommended food list I read in the food forum was completely foreign to me. I didn't recognize one brand.I will try one of the ones on the list. She also told me that I would need to "introduce" the new food. So I guess I just start adding a little to what he is eating for a period of time?

I am really angry that I have been feeding him crap.I feel terrible that I just made the assumption that two big, well known companies would have good product. That's what I get for assuming. Thanx.......I'm glad I asked about it.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 12:06:20 pm »
Yes, when switching over, you want to do 75/25 old to new for a few days to a week (depending on how much of the old food is left), then 50/50, then 25/75.  It helps make the transition easier and keeps them from having too many stomach problems due to switching foods.

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 12:14:12 am »
Don't get so upset over it.
We all live and learn. I am glad you found out about dog food.
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 01:26:21 am »
Yep they are all right. My breeder was even feeding purina due to it being cheap and he had 29 puppies. Then he put them on Science diet - not really good either for Great Danes or any other BP pupper. If you can find what you want to try at a local feed store try online. K9cusine.com has free shipping to anywhere so maybe that will work for you.
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Viking Lady

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 04:12:14 am »
Gosh.......tha nx to all of you for your help and for making me feel better about my food boo-boo. Now I'm wondering if some of the itching I am working on is due to the corn, etc. in his diet. He doesn't seem to have any tummy trouble and he eats well........bu t he does scratch alot. I guess we'll see. I am going to start with the Blue Buffalo only because I know where it is and have read the ingredients. I hope I am choosing the right stuff. I don't really have alot of small stores or feed stores to deal with.

I am very interested in other human foods. I have said before that I grew up with collies and they always ate dog food (don't remember what kind, it was 50 years ago) :o with our leftover dinner scraps on top. When I married and got our lab and later a border collie the vets were saying no table food. I feel like they must need some vegetables, either in the food or from the table.  My sister, who is a vegetarian,(ugh) gives her dog raw carrots as treats. But some of you mentioned fruit. I love fruit! So we can share?

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 07:41:37 am »
I am really angry that I have been feeding him crap.I feel terrible that I just made the assumption that two big, well known companies would have good product. That's what I get for assuming. Thanx.......I'm glad I asked about it.

Hey, live and learn right?  I was the same way.  As far back as I can remember, we had always fed our dogs Purina Puppy/Dog Chow and they have always been healthy.  Even when I got Sierra I didn't realize that Eukanuba and Iams weren't the best for her.

I am currently feeding her Nataural Balance Allergy Free kibble.  Sure it cost a bucketload of cash per bag, but seeing her clean bill of health, hearing the vet commend Jeff and I on how healthy she is (other than her skin issues), seeing how active she is and her beautiful coat is all worth it.  I have learned so much about what to feed her thanks to BPO, and I am by far still a rookie when it comes to dog food knowledge.  I wouldn't try to attempt to advsie someone on what to feed their dog.  I'd just send them to BPO!  ;D  So even if you were feeding cruddy food, at least you know now and can make the change to a better food.  It's never too late.
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Viking Lady

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 02:44:20 pm »
You guys are my new best friends!!!!!hehe

Aaaargh!! I was in here for two minutes and he snatched my contact case off the bathroom counter and ate half of it! Now, not only will I be broke from buying good food but I won't be able to see where I'm going.

Viking Lady

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 03:33:41 pm »
I understand what you're saying. There are things that are obvious. I want Luke to be well nourished with food and with love. I know that he has to trust me to give him what is best for him so I want to do the best job I can. What I didn't expect was to find so many options, and have to make so many decisions about something as basic as food. My unimpressive background is in psychology(old school, when it made sense)......didn't finish school, got married and raised 4 kids. But the field is still my passion. The only reason I mention that is because it is a big part of how I think. I like common sense and black and white. I don't like gray or anything in the middle. So when I have to figure something out I go to what I think is the best source, gather the facts, consider the motives and decide. All of you have been SO helpful and I will do as you suggest....... .do my homework.