Author Topic: Jack comes home tomorrow!  (Read 13854 times)

Offline kbnewfjack

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Jack comes home tomorrow!
« on: October 23, 2008, 02:53:13 am »
Well, tomorrow's the day! I'm so excited! Does anyone have any new puppy advice for me? Things to avoid, things to do....

Tonda

Re: Jack comes home tomorrow!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 03:55:36 am »
OMG SO CUTE!!!

I think the basic tenet BEGIN AS YOU MEAN TO GO ON is the most important thing to keep in mind. If you teach him to act the way you want him to now, the benefits will last for the rest of your years together.

Oh, and forget about sleep for the next month or two, LOL!

Enjoy the new baby (I’m sure loving mine, sleep deprivation aside).

Offline kbnewfjack

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 05:21:40 am »
Thanks!

We do have some toys, but I feel like it's not enough, so we may need to go get more. We have a few stuffed toys, a small rubber tire, a ball, a rope, and a stuffed animal with a rope.

We are also feeding him Diamond Large Breed Puppy as recommended by the breeder.

What do you guys feed for treats? I want something good for him. The breeder said just to give cheerios and if we really wanted an actual treat, to go with Iams.

Tonda

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 05:41:03 am »
For chewing, my pups are big on Pig Ears and Knee Caps (sometimes called Choo Caps). I buy 'em in bulk on the internet, cause it's WAY cheaper than going to the pet store (64-cents per ear vs. $2.16; and $1.06 per knee cap vs. $1.30). The ears only last a few minutes, but he knee caps last for days/weeks before I toss them out and replace them with new ones. They also like cow hooves and bully sticks.

PIG EARS
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?PGGUID=30e07232-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

KNEE CAPS
http://www.shop.com/Pet+Supplies-a-beef+knee+caps-st.shtml

For training I use freeze dried liver and freeze dried chicken strips (which I break into small pieces). These you can get at almost any pet store (Costco even carries giant bags of the chicken strips).

"Grandma" bought them Everlasting Treat Balls, but they're only mildly interested in them (which is ok with me, since the "treat" is wheat based).

lookingfornewf

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 06:21:09 am »
Congratulation s, he is very very cute. Just enjoy all your snuggle time. Don't worry too much about the toys. I buy lots and lots of toys. Clifford is currently playing with an empty pop bottle and still enjoys shredding newspaper, kleenex etc. He also stole a lid from a spotshot can and was running around with it. He seems to prefer the toys he steals or finds.
Don't forget -no question is too small or silly to ask here. I know I had lots of questions when I first brought him home.
I'm sooooo jealous, must keep reminding myself -I don't need another puppy, I don't need another puppy ;D

AudgePadge

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 07:02:50 am »
OMG he's adorable!! Look at all that fluff!

Chew toys I've found that are inexpensive- Ice (helps to numb their sore gums too!) and Plastic liter bottles. My boys love 'em!

You can never have enough Bully Sticks either :)  Post LOTS of pics when he gets home!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Berner_Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • My fur-kid, Tucker, at 16 months.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 07:57:52 am »
OMG he is SOOOOOOO cute!   Congratulation s, and I love the name you have chosen. My only piece of advice is to take LOTS of pictures, if you are thinking "oh wow, we've taken a lot of pictures, maybe thats enough for today."  DON'T!  They grow SO FAST, you can not have too many puppy/fluffy/cuddly pictures.  With Tucker, it seemed he grew overnight, one night we put him to bed, a cuddly 10 lb puppy, barely a foot tall sitting, and then next morning we woke up to a 70lb (and growing!) 4 foot tall dog!  And he's only 7 months old!
Have fun, forget about sleep for a while (but its so worth it!) and enjoy him.

And take lots of pictures!!
Sarah
Mom to daughter, McKenna,
With us for 40 weeks, 1 day
Silently Born Into Eternity
on May 27, 2007

Mom to fur-kids:
Tucker, 16 months, BMD
Echo, 6 years, Siamese
Simba, 2 years, Orange Tabby
Mom to one reptile-teenager,
Trevor, 16 years, red-eared slider turtle

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 12:41:06 pm »
He is the cutest! My suggestion is to hold him, hold him, hold him before he gets too big & too heavy. They grow so quickly that before you know it he won' fit in your arms anymore.  :) I can't wait to see more pictures.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 05:21:40 am »
OMG what a heat breaker...lots of love and lots of rules..
yea if you don't start early it's too late..and it's never too early..

Our guys usually find more toys than we could buy ..simple rule if they get something they aren't suppose to just take it away and give them something they are allowed to have.and make it fun and worth their time..

I think the funest toy they all look forward to is cardboard boxes...weird I know but they can chew..and tear them and tug-a war with them..and mine also love that tearing ripping sound..

and once they are done and all the pieces are everywhere we just pick them up and throw them away..

Have lots and lots of fun and post lots and lots of pics..

Tricia and the fur kids

Tonda

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 05:48:49 am »
I think the funest toy they all look forward to is cardboard boxes...weird I know but they can chew..and tear them and tug-a war with them..and mine also love that tearing ripping sound.

Mine too! No box is safe.

Offline kbnewfjack

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 06:09:33 am »
Thanks again everyone! We are getting him tonight, so I'll take lots of pics this weekend!

Offline kbnewfjack

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 02:46:29 am »
Well, it was a pretty good weekend! Unfortunately we found out he has Giardia  :( But, he's on medication and I think it's getting better. He did REALLY well in his crate the first night, but the second night was terrible! He cried almost ALLL night long :-\ But, last night was a little better, so hopefully it will get better with each night.

I forgot how much I do not love the puppy stage! LOL I think he's so cute and cuddly, but I'm such a worrier, I'm constantly taking him outside and making sure he's not into trouble LOL

Which, I was going to ask, how long did it take for your newfs to be completely potty trained??

So far, he had 3 small pee accidents in the house and has yet to go in his crate *knock on wood*

lookingfornewf

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 03:00:01 am »
Jack is very very very cute and cuddly looking. Clifford only had 2 accidents in his crate the first week home, never again in his crate. He wasn't 100% in the house until about 4 months. As long as I took him out enough, always immediately after eating and getting out of his crate there were very few accidents. For the first few weeks after I brought him home I did get up in the middle of the night a couple of times to take him out. Where do you have the crate? I kept ours in the bedroom, sometimes all it took was a little talking to reassure and quiet him down.
Have fun ;D

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 03:57:26 am »
Well, it was a pretty good weekend! Unfortunately we found out he has Giardia  :( But, he's on medication and I think it's getting better. He did REALLY well in his crate the first night, but the second night was terrible! He cried almost ALLL night long :-\ But, last night was a little better, so hopefully it will get better with each night.

I forgot how much I do not love the puppy stage! LOL I think he's so cute and cuddly, but I'm such a worrier, I'm constantly taking him outside and making sure he's not into trouble LOL

Which, I was going to ask, how long did it take for your newfs to be completely potty trained??

So far, he had 3 small pee accidents in the house and has yet to go in his crate *knock on wood*

I so understand about not loving the puppy stage-especially the first few nights.  Sophie was the same- fine the first night, then cried for a week straight.  After that, she loved her crate though, so don't worry, probably just a few more sleepless nights!  He is adorable by the way!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline kbnewfjack

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 04:08:34 am »
Well, it's reassuring to know that I only have a few more sleepless nights!

To the pp that said they were good until they were 4 months, was that 4 months after you had it or until it was 4 months old?  :)

Yes, we have his crate in our room. Sometimes I think if we talk to him, it makes it worse LOL. We also got a baby gate for the kitchen so that he can stay in there in the mornings while I'm getting ready, but he hates that just as much as his crate!