Author Topic: Partial Tear ACL 8 Year Old Female Pyr  (Read 6778 times)

Offline Great Pyr Mom13

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Partial Tear ACL 8 Year Old Female Pyr
« on: June 06, 2008, 07:02:35 pm »
Oh boy....my Monster Dog Molly Golly got diagnosed with a partial ACL tear in her back left leg. She has come through alot of things in the past, she weighed 35 pounds when I got her from the Animal Shelter that had busted a Pyr Puppy Mill - she was one of 4 "breeders". She has the worst mammary gland infection the vet had ever seen and to top it off she was pregnant with 13 puppies, when I got her.  That was 8 years ago.  This is first day of the rest and relax, with tramadol and anti inflamitory's. The vet said that the surgery couldn't take place until she completely tears.  Anybody out there have specifically a Pyr that has had this surgery.  She is overweight by about 30 pounds, we have been working on that for 3 weeks.  But any one that has gone through this...hints, questions to ask the vet...any help would be much appreciated.

marypyrs

Re: Partial Tear ACL 8 Year Old Female Pyr
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 07:23:33 pm »
Hey GP Mom 13! Welcome! I'm Jane. I'm going to PM you. OK?

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 01:57:53 am »
Hi & welcome!!  I don't have any experience (yet anyway, knock wood) with ACL tears, but I did want to say welcome and applaud you for rescuing Molly.  Our Sammy was 68# when we got him and he was nothing but skin & bones (no muscle mass at all), so it makes me sick to think of how your poor baby must have suffered.  :'(  Thank goodness she's so loved now.  :-*  I'm sure you'll find people here on BPO that can help you with your ACL questions and I think that you'll find that it's pretty addicting, too.   ;)  ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

marypyrs

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 02:05:46 am »
Hoping you check back in soon. "partial" can mean a lot of things. Sometimes not all that bad.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tiggerpoz/id4.html

(modified for link)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 02:27:46 pm by marypyrs »

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 05:22:34 am »
Try searching this board.  There has been a lot of discussion in the past.  Each situation is different.  A canine rehabiliation person may be of help as well as acupunture.  Of course, getting off those extra pounds will be helpful. We went through this with Cirra and decided to treat with conservative management based on her situation.  There is a lot of information available.  Continue to ask questions until you feel confident and comfortable in your decision regarding treatment. 

Offline ultracsic

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 11:52:17 am »
I just returned from the Amer. College of Vet Surgeons meeting in San Diego.
There is a Dr. Dave Pendray who has a new approach to repairing ACLs or (CCLs)in dogs. Dr Pendray has done 102 dogs and followed them for up to three years. His results are Great. The problem with TPLO, MRIT, and TPA is that the dogs generally develop arthritis among other problems. Dr. Pendray using ACell,(www.ACell.com) in combination with a fascia graft to regenerate a new CCL. The important thing is that at 13 months out, x-rays show no evidence of new arthritis. He's is in Cody, Wyoming and he gets big dogs back to hunting.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 06:49:33 am »
well...i've never had a pyr...but Grace had her ACL replaced in February and the other rott i had had both of her ACL's done.  so i'm working on my fourth ACL replacement.  I don't think Grace's is completely torn either, but it's close. 
If you have specific questions feel free to email me.  it's a tough recovery, but well worth it.