Author Topic: To Spay/Neuter...or Not? What do you think?  (Read 31491 times)

AudgePadge

To Spay/Neuter...or Not? What do you think?
« on: October 24, 2008, 06:49:49 am »
Since I've only had one female dog, and she came spayed, I can't speak about my experiences with a spayed vs unspayed female.  However, its always been my compromise with Hubs- wanting the boys to have their "manhood" that we let all the boys get to be 3 years old before we neuter them.  That way, they have an opportunity to fully mature with all their hormones, and develop their personalities the way nature intended.

So, I found this article that I found very interesting about the pros/cons about spaying/neutering your pets. 

This article does NOT go into the subject of population control or behavior modification, this is strictly from a HEALTH standpoint only.

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

It seems a lot of the little problems our babies have, may come from being spayed/neutered??? Our Oreo passed with some bladder problems 3 months after he was neutered...

From a healthcare standpoint only, what do you think? Is it more beneficial to neuter the dog at a younger or older age?

I guess I just want everyone's two cents regarding spay/neuter besides the argument of population control.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: To Spay/Neuter...or Not? What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 09:00:34 am »
As an owner of a giant breed I pay heed to the current studies- these are scientific based on unbiased data and not anecdotal or  a 'somebody told me basis'.  Early neutering or neutering before maturity increases the chance of osteosarcoma 2-3 xs leading to a 1 in 4 chance of this dread disease. That's scary.  Numerous studies have shown this- not a fluke.  Me I can wait 6 more months to neuter to decrease my dogs chance of this fatal disease.  Hemangiosarcom a is also increased four fold- another fatal disease.  Other adverse health effects are becoming apparent some 15-20 years after pediatric spays became the norm so the vet schools are starting to take a hard look at this practice.  Two different studies have shown up to a 50% increase in hip dysplasia, others are showing up to 30% increase in CCL injuries.  Both of these are severely crippling to the animal.  Not to say that neutering is the sole cause but it certainly is a major influence.  Kinda like saying it OK or not OK for your child to smoke.  The health risks are there by early neutering.  So I will wait- its no problem to me if a dog keeps his testicles until 12-18 months.

Tonda

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 09:11:11 am »
So . . . 12-18 months for a neuter. How old for a spay? Being “out of this game” on this issue for more than a decade has clearly left me in the dark . . .

I have mix-breed dogs, so breeding is NOT something I want to happen, but I a 50%-70% increase in the risk of HP due to early spay/neuter scares me. I'll gladly pay the $100 license fee for the first year if it means a much higher chance of having a healthy dog in the long run.

AudgePadge

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 09:18:50 am »
Yea, right now, we don't have any regulations of when a dog needs to be altered. We just pay $50 a year for licensing for Roscoe, Ramses and Monty are neutered so its $8 a year.

It's just my compromise with hubs to wait until the dogs are fully matured physically and mentally before they get neutered.

Another question-  Being bigger, I know that it costs more for anesthesia, but are there any side effects to a full grown, large breed dog under that much anesthesia? (I haven't done any research yet, so forgive my ignorance)

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 09:29:25 am »
Some breeds are more sensitive to anesthesia I have Gr Pyrenees and they are known to be sensitive.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 09:39:12 am »
When I place a puppy I recommend that spaying not take place before 1 year  Now in my breed the first heat cycle usually doesn't happen until they are more than one year so there is not much risk of unwanted pregnancy>  There is a breeder vet that recommends waiting until 2 years regardless of gender.  It depends on if you feel able to cope with a heat cycle  Here I can secure the female and prevent an unplanned mating but that's not always so easy in a lot of pet homes.  There are some vets that are now recommending that males not be neutered at all as the benefits are miniscule if any.  Different story with the females as there are problems that can occur with leaving them intact such as pyometra and breast cancer.  That is a judgement call for the owner.

Tonda

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 09:43:51 am »
Thanks, patrick! I found this article which seems a more reasoned study than the earlier one:

http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/pdf/10.2460/javma.231.11.1665?cookieSet=1

AudgePadge

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 09:50:40 am »
i got an error message when i clicked on the link....:(

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 10:23:18 am »
Good article!!

Tonda

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 10:28:16 am »
i got an error message when i clicked on the link....:(

Hmm. The link works for me . . . If you Google "optimum age spay giant breed" (without the quotation marks!), it's the first hit:

http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/javma.231.11.1665

AudgePadge

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 10:42:34 am »
aha...thank you!

Tonda

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 10:47:58 am »
That pumpkin costume is KILLING me!!!

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 12:12:47 pm »
I can comment a little bit on this topic as well. :)
We have 2 female dogs. Both are only 2 months apart in age. Under the guidance of many large breed dog owners on a website, I waited until my dogs were 18 months old to have them spayed.

My now 3 year old Saint Bernard has mild hip dysplasia. I don't know if it would be worse or better if she were spayed earlier, but I just did what I had read and heard was best. So later-spaying does not eliminate all risk of HD, as evidenced in my Saint's case. But if I had the choice over again, and I thought it may help prevent HD, I'd still wait and spay her at an older age.

The costs of neutering/spaying a nearly full grown dog that can be 100+ pounds will be significantly higher than that of the same procedure in a 6 month old/50 pound pup, I will tell you that. So take that into account as well. Some areas have extraordinaril y high vet fees for neutering/spaying large dogs.

I did not notice a difference in either dogs' personality after the spays were done. I do know that it is hard to keep 2 energetic, playful, big 18 month old dogs from not playing too hard or running and ripping out stitches though!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 03:47:38 pm »
I am not going to neuter my wolfhound, ever, unless it is medically necessary.  The risks far outweigh the benefits in my mind.  I will never willingly neuter another male dog of mine.  I don't see any benefits and see lots of negatives.  If they come from a rescue, I don't have an option.  As far as females, I don't think I will spay another one.  I know I could keep them separate, so breeding is not an issue.  The problems I have had with spay incontinence as well as increased risk for cancers, behavioural issues, etc. are just not worth it to me.  I think each pet owner has to decide what is right for their pet and go from there.  It is no different than deciding what to feed your pet, what training to give your pet, what is acceptable behaviour for your pet, or any of the other decisions we make as pet owners.  You make your decision and then you have to be prepared to live with the consequences, good, bad or indifferent.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline chi_mom2008

• Gnawer
  • This is my missing guy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 03:57:01 pm »
I have had both of my Chihuahuas fixed when they were about a year old. I felt this was a good idea since they are both house dogs. They don't have the desire to run out in search of a breeding mate and they don't exhibit angry or irrational behavior as some dogs do when they are in heat. I researched the idea a bit beforehand and I am comfortable that I made the right decision. The only real problem I have ever had is that you REALLY have to watch their diet. Neutured/spayed pets tend to add pounds much more easily!