Author Topic: To Spay/Neuter...or Not? What do you think?  (Read 31494 times)

Viking Lady

Re: To Spay/Neuter...or Not? What do you think?
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2008, 04:20:26 pm »
I don't want to dwell on dew claws when the subject is neutering, but I don't know what you mean by detached or attached.

AudgePadge

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2008, 06:19:25 pm »
I don't want to dwell on dew claws when the subject is neutering, but I don't know what you mean by detached or attached.

Detached dew claws look a little bit like they're dangling off the leg.  Poor Monty has ripped the nails clear off his dewclaws playing rough or once from a simple walk--it got caught in an indent on the curb crossing the street. :'(

He's too old to have them removed now, but all our puppies since have had them removed.  Where we live, there's just too much to snag it on... JMO

Offline Abstrax

• Gnawer
  • Abstrax Kennels
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2008, 11:02:49 pm »
"Well it is irresponsible to me! If you are a breeder you should have a kennel to keep females intact AWAY from males or Kennel a male with someone else. You don't just not lock a door or a window while having a male and a female intact.
The dog you know who jumped through a glass window to get to a female DID IT TWICE a year apart. The breeder was lucky enough that
females didn't get pregnant but the fact that she let it happen TWICE tells us something, doesn't it?
That is why it is important to spay and neuter...if you can't be 100% responsible"

To bad mouth someone else is irresponsible and just plain tacky. I thought maybe you were better than that. There is enough of this in the show world to be bad mouthing someone over something like this. Specially when the person is dedicated heart and soul to the health and prosperity of this breed.

Guess I should start boarding all my windows up before I get considered irresponsible next. Heck everyone with intact dogs should put boards on your windows - we would not want to be considered irresponsible had one of the dogs decided to be a sex crazed idiot and jump through the window. Tsk tsk shame on us...

I hope you change your tune, bad mouthing people spreads quick and soon no one will want to talk to you in fear of what you may say about them. Remember we are all in this breed for the same reason - our love for them. We shouldn't be pitting against one another over stuff like this.

- Abstrax
Abstrax Kennels

Offline Abstrax

• Gnawer
  • Abstrax Kennels
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2008, 11:24:53 pm »
Oh and putting dogs in kennels doesn't always prevent intact dogs breeding either. I have heard of many instances with dogs being able to tie through chain linked fences. So that doesn't really solve that problem either does it?  :-*
Abstrax Kennels

Offline Abstrax

• Gnawer
  • Abstrax Kennels
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2008, 12:50:38 am »
I am not defending a momentary lapse. I am defending the fact it can happen to anyone and has been bad mouthing this person to people. That is wrong.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 01:58:13 am by Abstrax »
Abstrax Kennels

Offline Abstrax

• Gnawer
  • Abstrax Kennels
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2008, 01:01:01 am »
Just because I have not posted in 2yrs has nothing to do with this. Being that you all are members as well and entitled to an opinion, why should I be entitled to less?

People Whisperer and I know one another in Person. She has been nothing but kind to me so to see her saying this has me disappointed. I am not going to treat her any differently when we see each other at the next show. In fact I told her she should come to the show we will be attending. So I must enjoy her company no? So please don't turn it around to make me look like I am trying to belittle her.

I also know the person she is referring to whom is a dear friend. And its not what she said here about the person, its how she said it and the intent behind it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 01:01:57 am by Abstrax »
Abstrax Kennels

Tonda

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2008, 02:54:21 am »

If they're attached, they're like an extra toe up on the leg. The bone is SOLID and they don't flap around. If they're detached, it's just a giant skin tag with a claw (which is why they tear so easily). Most breeders I know removed dew claws within the first couple days of birth (same as docking their tails, if breed appropriate).

Tonda

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2008, 02:59:19 am »
Thanks for the pic, Melssiakins! Yes, if the the dew claw is attached (as shown in that x-ray), you don't need to worry about removal. In lots of breeds it isn't, and when they tear it can cost major bucks.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2008, 03:28:56 am »
It actually was not quite so truthful- the dog did go through the window ONE time, not twice in one year. And the person she is referring to is a well respected breeder of more than 20 years-