Shepherds > German Shepherd Discussions

proper dog beach etiquette?

(1/3) > >>

iheartstella:
I had a situation this morning that I'm interested in hearing feedback on...
I took my german shepherd to a dog beach.  We were the only ones there for about 5 minutes.  Another person came in with 2 dogs, each about 30 lbs or so--smaller than my dog.  My dog immediately ran up to the dogs and they all sniffed and introduced themselves.  Then my dog tried to initiate a chase (same thing she does at any dog park) to which one of the dogs responded, but soon grew bored and trotted back towards his owner.  My dog kept up and began to run circles around the other dog, barking at it, though not in a constant, agressive way.  They ran around a bit, then my dog mouthed on the other dog, causing the dog to whimper.  The dog owner became very upset at this point, and began kicking sand towards my dog (who didn't react, she didn't have a clue, and her tail was wagging the whole time).  I approached the owner and apologized, but explained that my dog was not being aggressive and was playing.  The owner was UPSET; he told me that my dog had attacked his dog, and that if I didn't keep my dog away from his dogs, he would break both her legs.  Needless to say, with no one else around, I left to find a cop.

I guess since my own emotions were running high at the time, I'd like to hear whether my dog (and myself) were out of line, or if the other guy was.  None of the dogs were on leashes, since the area is a designated dog park, but I was watching them the entire time (as was the other owner), though our versions would be wildly different I suppose.

Pyr Heaven:
If it was just a little wimper, then your dog was probably just playing a little more rough than the other dog was used to. The way the other dog's owner talked to you and threatened you is what would upset me the most. Even if your dog did start up a little fight, the reaction of that person was TOTALLY uncalled for. And kicking sand? Wow. haha I suppose if the owner thought their dog was really being attacked, they thought that would be the best way to break it up. If you take your dog to the dog park, you should know that an "attack" could happen. I certainly do NOT think you were in the wrong here.

Now what does upset me while I am at the dog park (Miles gets picked on sometimes) is when another dog will be bullying him and bullying him to the point where they will be pinning him down sometimes and he can't get up. And the owners don't do anything. I have to end up getting their dog off mine. >:(

vmimom2006:
That guy sounds like a first class jerk. If your dog really was agressive did he not think that kicking sand might bring on an attack?? (either by dog or owner??) I agree with gr8dame that a large can of whoop a$$ would have been in order. But I must admit I have trouble controlling my mouth. Controlling my dog - I'm OK ;D :D

Tonda:
Sounds to me like you were dealing with a newbie owner who knows VERY little about dogs (and isn't open to learning, so he'll likely remain the park jerk, right up until he decides the world is just too dangerous for his precious babies and makes them thoroughly neurotic by never letting them leave the ‘safety’ of the house). What a sucky end to a walk on the beach.  :(

AudgePadge:
I don't think you were out of line. :-\

People with smaller dogs tend to over-react when they hear so much as a whimper, big dog owners are so used to rough play it makes us seem like we don't care...

I think when you bring yourself, and your dogs to the beach/park, you just cant assume that all people are going to be understanding, or all dogs are going to be nice an playful.  One thing is for certain at these kinds of places, dogs will be dogs, and some people don't understand that.

Seriously though...no one should ever talk threaten you like that!  If someone told me they were going to break my dog's legs...I'd let him try- I'm with Stella... never mind the cop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version