Author Topic: List of breeds by country  (Read 2903 times)

Offline GoofyNewfie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
List of breeds by country
« on: October 29, 2008, 07:08:14 pm »
I found this on wikipedia, I ended up wasting a few hours browsing from the list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dog_breeds_by_country

Diesel, 6 month old Newf.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: List of breeds by country
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 11:59:40 am »
Fascinating stuff.
Although I thought that now there is debate as to whether the chinese crested originated in Africa, not china.
I was shocked to see all the breeds from India, most of which I have never even heard of.

Offline GoofyNewfie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 08:23:48 pm »
I was shocked to see all the breeds from India, most of which I have never even heard of.

Yeah, funny that you mention, that's what I spent most of my time on. These breeds are poorly documented--well, in English, anyways, I would not know if there was a wealth of info written in pujabi :) For some even a picture was hard to find in google image.

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 11:28:41 pm »
Oh Wow!

I am wondering how they get some breeds. Are they giving "breed names" to mutts?
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline mtays

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 07:13:52 pm »
It's actually quite amazing how different the dogs are in different parts of the world. I couldn't possibly vouche for the existence of any of those breeds, but I could see it as being possible. I know that I stayed in Spain for 2 weeks a few years ago and was very shocked at the dogs I encountered when I was there, and even how different some of the very common dogs here were there... I frequently encountered a relatively small black dog with a white stripe down it's chest, and when I finally decided to ask somebody what kind of dog it was they told me it was a Black Lab, which left me stunned.  Very pleased to see a large amount of Mastiff-type dogs on the list though!!
Murphy ~ Black Lab
Morgan ~ Bernese Mountain Dog
Marley ~ English Mastiff

Offline GoofyNewfie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 07:36:44 pm »
 http://www.dogsindia.com/indian_breeds.htm

They say that the standard for many Indian breeds has not found common consensus besides maybe the more popular breeds. They are attempting to gather info to create breed standards.

Tonda

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 05:59:35 am »
And you have to remember that the idea of "breed" is still a relatively new one. For most of human and dog history it was type or use that defined the "breed". For example, as recently as the early 19th century "cockers" and "springers" came out of the same litters of spaniel puppies. Their size, which was not standardized, determined the "type" into which they were categorized.

We still have “types” around even in the Western world (Parson’s Jack Russell Terriers and Lurchers both come instantly to mind).