Author Topic: I am going to be a foster Mommy!  (Read 6671 times)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
I am going to be a foster Mommy!
« on: August 11, 2005, 03:08:34 pm »
So I spoke with Tim and he said that it is ok for us to be a foster home!! So I am sending out emails volunteering us to be a foster home!  I am very excited about this  ;D

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
Re: I am going to be a foster Mommy!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 03:15:55 pm »
How exciting!   ;D

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 03:34:09 pm »
Nina that is soooooooooo great.  I am working on the same thing, but it may take a few months to be ready.  What breed or breeds are you going to foster?

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 03:50:57 pm »
I sent an email to a Lab rescue, there are so many labs here that need homes. And I think that I will stick to Large breeds, they are the ones that are in the shelters the longest.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 04:13:41 pm »
Good for you Nina..... cudos to Tim..... for some extremely odd reason some hubbys seem to be less than impressed by all our doggies and kittens and fosters lol.....

I am so excited for you. Are you going to volunteer for the regular shelters or the "no kill" rescues?

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline sobe

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 04:14:07 pm »
that is so exciting, good for you !
I have just become a foster mom as well, to 3 kittens. This is our first time fostering and we are loving it. I'va fallen head over heels in love, and so has my dog Fwirly. She's acting like a perfect momma to these little things. Moose wants to be near them too but gets a bit too excited.

The only thing that I am not looking forward to is that I will have to give them back when they are 8 weeks old. That's going to be hard.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 04:24:16 pm »
ahhhh what cute little things, I am the proud foster mom to three kittens and their mom too. Well I am still having hopes that they will be permanent additions to our home. But the way hubby has been walking around asking for a white "see cane" (he is a little bit allergic to say the least lol) I am not so sure it will work. I keep thinking if he gets exposed to them, his immune system will build up a defence against them (it worked with our old cat Trouble)  ;D

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 05:16:32 pm »
That is so great Nina!...You have really dove head first into rescue!...I admire you for that big time!

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 05:25:16 pm »
Thats great Nina, get ready for some of the most reward feelings you can imagine, and get ready to have you heart broken at the same time. You can't make a difference in the world, but you can make a world of difference to one dog!

(yeah, I know! I stold that quote from someone else here on BPO)

P.S. I'm a foster Daddy, not a mommy!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 08:00:08 pm »
I am soo excited! We are only going to foster one dog at a time. I want to be able to still give my fur kids all the attention that they need and the foster as well.  ;D
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 10:29:43 pm »
wow that is great!!!  I would love to do it also but I would want to keep everyone......

Nicole

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2005, 08:17:04 am »
Lots of doggies have passed through our doors....its definitely heart-breaking when you fall in love, but its so great when you get an otherwise homeless and unloved baby into a new home! I just love to tell the stories of my fosters...the Saint that now has a 20 acre farm complete with goats and llamas...the American Bulldog who goes jogging with her new (VERY ATHLETIC) mama every morning, the big fat kitty that has lotsa love from her new mommy and daddy (and didn't used to be big and fat! hehe!)...the list goes on...its really rewarding. I'm glad you're doing it, Nina! And its so great that you're doing it so deliberately! All of mine have just been more or less on accident.

YAY FOR NINA!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2005, 08:39:58 am »
I can't wait, the person said that they really need some foster homes, so I may be getting one soon. And they provide everything for you, food, crate toys ect!

Most of the rescues here don't have a shelter, all the dogs are in foster homes, The only shelters in Edmonton is the Humane society( no Kill) and the city pound, and the pound is for lost dogs, if not claimed they move to the humane society shelter. It is great that in the entire province of Alberta, there is no Kill shelters here! I think because, so many people foster, the shelters that are around  are not over crowded.
There is a huge fundraiser next weekend that I am going to, and bringing my fur kids, it is to raise money for homeless animals and raise public awareness of the pet over population problem. All the money raised is going towards spay and neuter clinic.

I have lots a pics to post next weekend!
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2005, 09:44:00 am »
More power and strength to YOU!  ;)
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2005, 10:37:59 pm »
That's so great.  I would love to foster.  Right now, we are only allowed two pets (for some reason they don't count my bird, thank goodness).  But I would love to foster sometime.  Maybe when we move, we will have a large enough place for it.