Author Topic: Anyone else's Newf this small  (Read 15666 times)

lookingfornewf

Anyone else's Newf this small
« on: October 31, 2008, 06:47:26 am »
Clifford is 14 months old now. I have been very careful to make sure he gets the best food and doesn't grow too quickly. Now I'm starting to wonder if he is growing so slow he is going to be on the small side. He has only been gaining a couple of pounds a month.
I took him in to get weighed today and he only weighs 96 pounds. He doesn't seem too thin and is very healthy. Has anyone else's Newf been this small at 14 months and if so how big did they grow to be? I don't know the weights of his parents, but they looked huge at the time. Maybe I'll call his breeder and ask.
I, of course, love Clifford more than I thought possible and will whatever size he turns out to be. ;D

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else's Newf this small
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 07:59:11 am »
He is little but maybe he'll just be a smaller boy. Bear was 100 lbs. at 1 but took 2 years after that to reach 150 lbs. Take your time & just be happy with where he is right now. A happy boy can't be beaten!  ;D 
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

jesday

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 09:44:08 am »
To steal from Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a (Newf) - "A Newf is a Newf no matter how small."

Both my kids are 14months. Sophie is 127, Syrus 132. My vet tells me they are a good weight, not too heavy.

So instead of Clifford the Big Black Dog, he's Clifford the Petite Gentleman :D

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 10:40:48 am »
Don't worry, he can be friends with Phelan aka the mini Bullmastiff :-* If he's like Phelan he makes up for his small size with his big heart, wouldn't trade him for the world ;)

Offline faye

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 12:25:01 pm »
I sometimes wish my Molly was that small. she is a large female at 164 lbs and not fat!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 01:32:00 pm »
Clifford is certainly a happy pup most of the time although I must admit at least once a day from him I do get the annoyed look complete with eyes rolled and big sigh. ::)

Oh boy, do I know that look so well! Bear does that all the time even though he is the king of this castle.  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 01:54:21 pm »
Sounds like Clifford and Phelan and Ursa could start their own "mini" club.  Ursa is on the small size for a Pyr but occupies a big place in my heart!
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 02:40:35 pm »
THOSE TEEF belong to a small Newf?  AH,  what he lacks in size he makes up for in personality,  Ive seen it in his stories and pictures.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 04:23:11 pm »
some dogs don't fill out completely until they are about 2 1/2.  Maybe he's just slow to sprout.  either way...the love is huge.

Offline newfsie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 05:50:23 pm »

Here is my girl and she is 18months and only small. She does not make 90lbs. But I have had very large newfs with hip diplasia etc and I will be happy with a small sound newf anytime :) :D ;D 8)
Newfsie, from Downunder
owned by Annabelle, Tessa, Nugget and six horses

http//:community.webs hots.com/user/newfs4ever

"Never underestimate the warmth of a cold nos

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 01:41:48 am »
Rosie can get down to about 110 at her very lightest as an adult, although she'd be very skinny at that weight. She still has that bulky Newfy look, she just has a very tapered waist. Her normal weight is about 125-130.
Rosie - Newfoundland

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 01:48:36 am »
Winston is around that same size too!  He's about 95 lbs and just as tall as our Golden Retriever.  I agree....what they miss in size, they make up in personality!!!  P.S. I LOVE those teethers!!!!  :)

Offline goldensaint723

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 10:08:44 am »
I dont have a newf but my saint bernard is on the smaller side hes about 145 at 2 years old, but he is extremely tall. Weight doesnt always fill out the first year it usually takes up to 2 years.I think most X-large breeds are similar in that. My vet said Cujo will probably live longer due to the fact he is not over weight and is more lean. I know how it feels to think your dog is always underweight and doesnt look the same as everyone elses, but you gotta love em anyway:)
Owned by 3 saints and a Jack Russell Terror
Cujo saint bernard
Macey saint bernard
Kodiak saint bernard
Angel Jack Russell
 River waiting at the bridge

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 03:25:50 pm »
Binky is in the "mini" giant club too- she has topped out around 76 lbs which is very small for a Pyr.  I have had a lot of people tell me she's too thin, etc, but she just has a petite build and the vet said she's the perfect weight for her frame.  That said, Clifford may still fill out a bit- Binky didn't pass the 65 lb mark until after she was 2 years old.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline LDT

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 05:08:06 am »
Oh Jeeze, My 7 month old Male Newf is already a "Lean" 110lbs! My 6.5 month old female Newf is 95lbs, and my nine yr. old Newf is 165lbs. Yup, we have central vac and unlimited back yard. They all sleep on the bed too. You have to hurry up and find your spot, 'cause if you don't yer out of luck, they aint moving! They are soooooo much fun! I just have to find nasal strips for them, or ear plugs for me, because they each snore like drunken sailors!
I have tried nothing and I'm all out of Ideas!