Author Topic: Joint Suppliment/Treatment Advice Needed for HD  (Read 8750 times)

DenverFurKiddos

Joint Suppliment/Treatment Advice Needed for HD
« on: November 02, 2008, 02:12:00 am »
I woke up this morning with very puffy eyes from yesterday's news.  But, today, I feel better and driven to learn all that I can about treatment of HD. 

Just wanted to get some thoughts on joint suppliments.  Winston was given "Phycox-JS" yesterday as a suppliment.  For the first 6 weeks, he gets 4x the following dosage, then 2x thereafter. Here are the ingredients:
*  Glucosamine HCL- 450mg
*  Methylsulfonyl methane- 400mg
*  Flaxseed Oil-  400mg
*  Creatine Monohydrate-  250mg
*  Tumeric-  50mg
*  Phycox-  30mg
*  Elcosapentaeno ic Acid- 9mg
*  Bocosahexaenoi c Acid- 6mg
*  Boron- 100mg

I searched past posts and noticed that many people also add Ester-C, chondroitan, etc. 

Is there anything that you can see (that's not included in the ingredients) that I should be adding?

Also, the vet said that I should be limiting walks (to approx. 6 blocks).  This seems really short!  Thoughts?

Hmm....what else?  Oh! The Rimadyl must be kicking in...Winston isn't really limping today and is back to his playful self, including wanting to play with Champ.  Should I let him do this, as long as it's not too excessive?  He was running (short) sprints around the yard today.  I cringed watching him do it, but I figured that maybe he would just regulate himself?  I have no idea! I'm so new at this!  Any advice would be appreciated!!!! 
Thanks!

jesday

Re: Joint Suppliment/Treatment Advice Needed for HD
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 05:17:46 am »
I will be piggy-backing your posts since we both seem to be in the same boat at the moment. So far I don't have my bubs on anything other than Costco size Glucosamine. She wants to wait for Sophie's ACL fix and then get both dogs on same protocol.

She did stress moderate exercise to keep muscles,tendons etc getting good tone and blood supply, but not excessive, so a six block walk seems good to me.

You will think the Rimadyl is a miracle drug as the dogs feel great and are back to old self. You may want to ask your vet about Deramax. There is some indication that long term use (which we are looking at) of Rimadyl can cause some liver? kidney? damage. Whereas the Deramax has not shown this. Syrus has been on Deramax and had same results as Rimadyl. Puppy all over again.

I'm going to copy all the stuff your vet suggested and check it with my vet. Has your vet talked about Adequin injections?

Once we get this all figured out I'm sure our bubs are looking at many years of pain free life and love.

I love BPO. What a great place to bring people together for mutual support. :)

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 05:33:46 am »

I love BPO. What a great place to bring people together for mutual support. :)

I totally agree with you!  I was so upset yesterday, but knowing that others are (or have) going through the same thing is very supportive.  So thanks so much!

Thanks for checking with your vet about the Phycox.  My vet said that he's been recommending glucosomine for the past 20 years, and has never seen the results that he's seen before using this product.  I did a google search on it, and responses sound promising! I did get suckered in at buying it at the vet's at about $80.00 (for 120 tabs). Just found it on Amazon.com for 1/2 that price. 

Another thing- Prior to all of this, I had Winston on Glucosamine from Target.  My vet and I talked about how products, such as glucosamine, are not regulated by the FDA.  Therefore, it's impossible to know the how much glucosomine you're actually getting.  For example, he said for any given 500mg pill, the actual content could range from 30-3000mg (that may not be exactly right, but you get the point...).  He said that when research studies are conducted on glucosamine, that actually have to manufacture their own in order to know its EXACT contents because it varies so widely. So, you may want to think about veterinary-grade products.  I'll keep you posted to see if the Phycox lives up to the hype!

Right now, Winston is on only two weeks of the Rimadyl.  He goes back in after two weeks to check blood levels.  After that, we're going to discontinue the Rimadyl (or use only periodically) provided that he's not limping and is feeling better.  If we do need it longer, I'll keep Deramax in mind, so thank you!!!

*Big sigh*  I'll guess we'll all just learn together, huh? :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 05:39:45 am by IndyFurKiddos »

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 06:31:09 am »
My dogs get Recovery.  I buy mine in the powder form at a health food store for cheaper than what the vet charges.  http://www.recoverysa.com/

Swimming is easy on the joints and real good for the muscles.  Some cities have indoor doggie pools you might want to look into.

jesday

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 06:40:34 am »
Doing a little online comparison. I'm guessing because Phycox-JC is a supplement it can be sold on Amazon.com. I was unable to find any prescription meds there.

Out of the various sites for pet meds it looks like the best deal is Allivet.com. 5%-20% cheaper than Petmeds.com and they offer everything it looks like our bubs will be needing. Petmeds did not have Phycox nor did some other sites.

$60 for a 120 supply of Phycox, but maybe when added to rest of the order may work out cheaper with free shipping? Or just convenience of ordering everything at same place. Rimadyl and Deramaxx cheaper on Allivet.

Some day I may be able to go to bed thinking about the wonderful glass of Merlot I had with dinner instead of all consuming bub worries. Here's to that day. ;) (clinking of glasses)

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 06:52:46 am »
Cheers!!!  Clink! Clink!

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 10:11:25 am »
Perhaps adding milk thistle to the diet as well to help prevent any liver or organ problems that rimadyl can cause??? Our breeder as well as our vet recommended that. But...each case is different, ours was just because of stepping in a hole that they dug outside, and hurt she hurt herself.  But they recommended the milk thistle to help prevent damage to the liver/kidneys because of the rimidyl.

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 12:04:55 pm »
Thanks!!!!!!  You all are the absolute best!!!!!!!!

Tonda

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 12:52:34 pm »
I'll second the Recovery SA. That's what I use for my pups. We used their equine product for our horses when I was growing up and my trainer simply SWORE by it.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 12:53:23 pm by MastiffOverload »