Author Topic: instincts?  (Read 2596 times)

Viking Lady

instincts?
« on: November 02, 2008, 05:16:02 pm »
Are older dogs naturally gentle to puppies because they know they are babies....or is that ridiculous to think?

Viking Lady

Re: instincts?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 05:31:45 pm »
I have been reading so many of the posts on here for the last month or so, and there are so many of you that are multiple dog owners. When a puppy is introduced it appears that there is never a problem with the "established" dog accepting the new one. I was just curious about whether most of that was because of training, or if my question about being a "baby" applies.

Viking Lady

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 04:56:11 am »
haha.......the ir relationships are so funny. I am not ready now, have alot of work to do with Luke and I'm learning as I go. But when I see how all these dogs have each other, as well as their owners, it's tempting to think of getting another Pyr.

My daughter has a neighbor with one of those little round lawnmowers that travels along in their yard cutting the grass. It's like a little robot. I was thinking.....w hat if I took off the blade and made it look like a little lamb?!?! Wouldn't have to feed it and it might make Luke think he has a job!! haha I guess I'll wait a while and consider another puppy.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 06:31:56 am »
I agree that there is a puppy license in play for most dogs.  But gunther did not care much for Nigel and Posey when we first tested them in the home.  However, he doesnt' like any new dogs in the home and has a 14 day grumpy period before accepting them.

But any pups outside the home he lets jump all over him.  There is one adorable 6 mo old aussie mix pup (look like a mini belgian tervuren) that is in love with him and just jumps up and licks his face and tries to get him to play.  He just ignores her and tries to keep his distinguished decorum intact.

Keiko is very tolerant of pretty much any dog, provided they stay away from her butt.......lol .

Nigel would be fine with anyone provided he could show them who's boss first.

Posey however, I think would be quite the witch unless I got another toy breed (which I don't plan on doing for another 12-15 yrs).  She isn't aggressive per se but will chase them away barking at them if she thinks they are bothering her too much.  God forbid someone starts chasing her........... she would then fling herself at them teeth bared and sceaming at them.  It's actually pretty funny to watch.  Never makes contact with the dog but def. gives them h*ll.  ;D

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 01:44:34 pm »
My dogs are all different, when it comes to puppies.  My son brought over his new pit puppy the other night.  Jake would not even stay in the same room as the puppy, Max wanted to kiss and lick it to death, ChiChi was scared to death of it, and Cody wanted to nuzzle it, until we put the puppy down and then he would growl if the puppy came anywhere close to him.  Go figure.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline goldensaint723

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 11:37:53 pm »
Suprisingly Cujo hates other dogs,but loves puppies he has no problem with them being in the house or around him. Macey is overly tolerant allowing the pup to play tug of war with her lips and this goes on every night. Angel the Jack Russell my moms dog is mean you go near her and she attacks without warning, but thats with all of my dogs age doesnt matter when she is sleeping she is pure evil when woken up.
Owned by 3 saints and a Jack Russell Terror
Cujo saint bernard
Macey saint bernard
Kodiak saint bernard
Angel Jack Russell
 River waiting at the bridge