Author Topic: White House dog  (Read 6333 times)

Viking Lady

White House dog
« on: November 07, 2008, 05:18:22 pm »
I understand that the Obamas need to get a non allergenic(?) dog and I didn't realize there was such a thing. But the picture I have of one is that it would be small. hehe That made me think about some of our dogs moving to the White House. Like Luke, with his love of eating paper, wood, and sheetrock.

Viking Lady

Re: White House dog
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 05:46:01 pm »
That would make a beautiful statement.

lookingfornewf

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 02:41:13 am »
I had already had this discussion with my mother. I don't think either one of my dogs it really white house appropriate. I'm not sure they need a Newfoundland slinging drool floor to ceiling (although as a representative for World Peace an unconditional acceptance and love it works) or my Jack Russel running, jumping and excited peeing everywhere. Either one do keep parties from being boring anyways.

Viking Lady

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 06:45:52 am »
hehe That and long slimes of drool on the sleeves.

I wonder where they would go potty. Not on the south lawn, I would assume.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 10:28:39 am »
I can just imagine the show my two would put on as the White House dogs.  Kaila would go up to every secret service guy trying to hit them up to throw her frisbee and then herd them.  Shiner would take my legs out from under me during a press conference or while the reporters were taking pics.   :o

I only heard about the Scottie biting someone but I haven't heard the whole story.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 10:48:26 am »
Their oldest daughter is allergic to dogs and she is the one who wanted a doodle mix, but in one interview her mother said they would be rescuing I guess we shall have to wait and see.

Viking Lady

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 11:20:21 am »
I agree that it was pretty abrupt. But that reminds me that a short time ago I read that dogs don't like to be greeted with a pat on the head. I remember because I didn't think it made sense. Since then I have tried it with Luke. When I go outside and greet him sometimes I go straight for the top of his head to pet him and he might move his head back kind of fast. (not everytime) But if I go out and pat him on the side and then his head he doesn't do it. He has never come close to snapping, but it did seem like it startled him sometimes.

I dunno......but the dog is innocent. Maybe he hasn't liked the press coverage.

yellow_dog_mom

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 06:03:34 am »
What a crybaby :o I agree with Holly, I'd have bitten whineboy as well :P

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 07:31:50 am »
I am very much guessing they will be getting a "poo" or "doodle" mix.  Then just watch the puppymills churn out even more of them than they already are.   >:(

Frankly I don't think it makes much difference what they get.  You know the family isn't going to be the ones taking care of it anyway.  They will have people for that.  Which really won't be teaching the girls any kind of responsibility or have them bond well with the animal.

Viking Lady

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 11:28:12 am »
That's kind of what I thought. A small dog was all I could picture, especially with allergies. The only big dog I remember seeing there was Gerald Ford's golden retriever.

Viking Lady

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 05:38:59 pm »
I think Bill Clinton got a chocolate lab just before or when he went to NY. It seems like he was hit by a car.

Nicole

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 03:19:03 am »
Dang. You guys are scathing. Why do you assume that the Obamas won't take care of the dog?

And, does a doodle or a poo deserve a home less than any other dog? I think that its cool that the Obamas want to rescue a dog, no matter what its breed. There are plenty of doodles and poos in shelters, too. Just because they are a designer breed doesn't mean that they were spared from the shelter!

Don't the Bush's have a Scotty? Do you see puppy mills turning out Scotties in record numbers?

Viking Lady

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 04:54:22 am »
The comment about the Obamas not taking care of the dog was made in light of the fact that there is staff that takes care of alot of things like that.

The comments about a little dog were made in light of the fact that we were discussing the hilarity of having a BIG dog at the White House

We all have opinions about these things and just because we don't agree doesn't make us scathing, or anything else. I notice you are still sporting an Obama sticker. Are you, maybe, more sensitive to the Obama part of this instead of the dog part?

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 09:16:25 am »
Dang. You guys are scathing. Why do you assume that the Obamas won't take care of the dog?

And, does a doodle or a poo deserve a home less than any other dog? I think that its cool that the Obamas want to rescue a dog, no matter what its breed. There are plenty of doodles and poos in shelters, too. Just because they are a designer breed doesn't mean that they were spared from the shelter!

Don't the Bush's have a Scotty? Do you see puppy mills turning out Scotties in record numbers?

I didn't see anything said that was scathing.
I dont' think they will be taking care of the dog b/c no one that has had dogs at the white house takes care of them.  they have people that do that for them.  If they do actually take care of the dog themselves, then great!  I hope they do, but I wouldn't bet on it.

And actually sales did go up for scotties when they got theirs.  But it also wasn't that big of national news when they did that as they had already had a dog at the time.

But since everything Obama makes big news no matter how small, I honestly do think that no matter what breed they get will become very popular, at least for awhile.  I wish they could get a heinz 57 dog that no one could decipher the breeding on but b/c of the daughter's allergies that isn't possible.

and I don't think a doodle or poo mix is any less deserving of a home.  I hope they make a very big thing of getting the dog from a shelter.  Being that they are now national and world news they are able to influence what other people think and do, to a certain extent.  So no matter what they get, I hope they push for others to rescue as well and set a good example that others can follow.

Offline krismark

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • My babies!
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 05:02:19 pm »
I dunno, I was thinking the same thing...then I scrolled down and saw Nicole already said it.

It might also have to do with the fact the we have known each other for over 25 years and we tend to think alike.  ;)

I was very happy to hear the "rescue dog" announcement, and I have a feeling those kids will have a lot of time with the dog. They seem to have a very strong family bond and I can see them making a great family for the dog they choose.

Let's hope they set a good example for all dog owners.  ;D