Author Topic: Pedi Paws  (Read 17115 times)

lins_saving_grace

Pedi Paws
« on: November 08, 2008, 01:12:09 pm »
I finally broke down and bought one.  Grace hates and fights getting her nails cut.  This should do the trick I hope.  But I forgot to pick up C batteries.  So she's safe for one more day.

Offline Akitamom08

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Porscha- My American Akita
    • View Profile
Re: Pedi Paws
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 06:21:15 pm »
Thats Great. :)
And Grace should get used to the noise of the "Pedi Paw" my dad bought one well the one you buy off TV the "Peticure" but hey they are the same. :) But anyways his Rottweiler do not like it at all when he got it she faught with him and used to take off running. And then about a month went by and then she was used to it. It does not bother her now. :)
How do you like the overall Product? I was thinking about getting one but i am not sure yet. I was just thinking about getting a "Dremel nail Tool" the Cordless Pet Nail Grooming Rotary Tool. But i dont know which one would work better.? Anyone know which one would do better?

Well Good Luck with Grace...She is so pretty i might add. I love Rottweilers i grew up with two they were fantastic dogs. We got our first rottweiler when i was 2 years old :) She was great! :)
But now that i am 18 i have my own 2 dogs. A American Akita as you can tell and a Black Lab mix. :) As you can tell. :)
But i have always had a soft spot for Rottweilers.

But the American Akita is my breed! :)

My dad has loved Rottweilers for many years. He actually got a tatto of a Rottweiler on his arm to show that he loves the breed so much. The tatto is a "Headshot" of a Rottweiler. No body or anything just the head of the Rottweiler. :)

But Keep us Updated on Grace's progress with the "Pedi Paw". :)
Good Luck! :)

Proud Owner Of
*Black Labrador Mix - Mercedes
*American Akita - Porscha

"If dogs dont have souls, then look into a Akitas eyes"
•*´`*•.AMY,PORSCHA,& MERCEDES•*´`*•

Viking Lady

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 07:43:50 pm »
Did you buy it at a store? I have only seen it on TV. But I think I need to try it.........dew claws.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 08:51:57 pm »
Funny, I was just at Home Depot pricing Dremels today.  I want to get one for trimming the pups nails and also for home improvement projects.  If I recall correctly, someone (is it maybe Julie in Chicago?) uses one with an extension that allows them to leave the Dremel a few feet away from the dog to keep the noise from scaring them.  That's what I was looking at today, but I'd also be very curious about what everyone thinks.   ;)
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 11:47:49 pm »
I use a Dremel on Gage, and have since I got him and I LOVE it, I would like to get the flex shaft, then it is like doing it with a thick pen, and the noise is stationary, so less scary to the dogs.  I have not heard anyone who likes the pedipaws if they have used a dremel first, I guess they dont have the same amount of power so they take way longer to finish the job.  Gages nails take me about 15 minutes.  This is possibly the best site explaining how to do it:
http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/doberdawn/dremel/dremel.html

yellow_dog_mom

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 12:53:55 am »
I finally broke down and bought one.  Grace hates and fights getting her nails cut.  This should do the trick I hope.  But I forgot to pick up C batteries.  So she's safe for one more day.

OMGOSH--I bought a PediPaws yesterday and I forgot the batteries, too ;D

Roh Ruh, I need something that works QUICKLY...so whoever else used the dremel..please let us new PediPaws buyers know ASAP. Mine is still in the packaging.

Ruffian, Is Gage ok with the noise?

I bought my PP at "Zamzows," a local feed/dog/lawn & garden store. They take returns very easily, but my favorite Zamzows' cashier told me that no PediPaws have been returned. ;)...yet! 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 01:07:01 am by yellow_dog_mom »

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 03:07:46 am »
I have a Pedi Paws and like it pretty well.  I'm still getting Ursa used to the sound so I trim her nails with a clipper first then use the PP to file down any rough edges. 

I tried it on myself (yes - i'm one of those dog moms!)- it's more powerful than you think. 
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline specialkdanemom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Sera, Shasta & Mika
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 07:05:25 am »
I use a dremel.  it works great.  i just don't like the slipping aspect when doing the nails... they don't like the feeling it gives their toes.  the noise doesn't bother them... one is completely deaf, one is deaf in one ear and one has normal hearing, plus the girls that can hear are used to motorcycles.  since it slips as they struggle a bit, i tried the pedi paws from the local store.  of course the one i bought didn't have enough power to rotate when i put a pencil eraser on it.  i returned it, demonstrated the lack of power to the manager (no problem w/ the return) but he said it was the first one to be returned.  i was wondering if it was just a sales tactic, but since i'm hearing different from others, it might have been just the luck of the draw for me.  has any one tried the one off tv, peti cure i believe?
Big Dogs...got to love'em!!

Karen, mom to:
Mika (GD)
Sera (GD/Greyhound X)
Shasta (Lab/Newf X)

Appollos (GD) RIP 2001-2005

yellow_dog_mom

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 07:30:39 am »
I'll try my PP. In all fairness, I can't return it when I haven't tried it! ???

As with Usa's mom--I would most definitely try it on myself first.

I might need a straight jacket for Libby..she'll be my greatest challenge. Lori, wanna come up from Texas and hold her down for me? :o 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 07:32:20 am by yellow_dog_mom »

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 08:21:09 am »
I've given up on nail trimming altogether.I have regular nail clippers and a dremel...both of which have only been used about a total of 10 times altogether. I now leave nail trimming to the vet. Even if it is an expensive pedicure for a dog (12 dollars)....It's not worth the sweat, blood, and tears..literal ly!

Good luck to you Pedi Paws owners! Hope it works well for ya! I always see the peticure on TV, and it looks pretty cool.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 08:28:12 am »
I have a really heavy duty dremmel which has 10 speeds. I LOVE it! It takes less than 5 min to do manicure and pedicure ;D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 09:10:18 am »
I have heard about the window getting dirty as well.

I got gage at 7 months and I dont know if he had had his nails trimmed ever so i took it very slow. 
Day one: I touched each of his nails with the dremel turned off.

Day 2: Same thing, touching longer, and brushing them.

Day 3: Turned it on and touched it to his nails with no sanding wheel.

Day 4: Touched sanding wheel to each nail very briefly.

Day 5: did the same only longer.

In total it took about a week but he is now pretty good about getting it done.  And now I do them every 2-3 weeks.

jesday

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 09:54:53 am »
Is it a special dremel just for dogs? Can you still injure their quicks?

My vet gave me a pair of nail clippers and showed me how and where to cut the nail. But I haven't brought myself to do it yet because of fear of cutting the quick. They have black nails and I can't see where it is. I get Chili's nails done at the vet because his quicks are as long as regular dog's nails and it take sometimes up to two assistants to hold him and one to clip. Slippery little devil.

As much as I love my vet and associates, they have risen their prices to 20 bucks. I can't bring myself to pay that for 3 dogs. But... there is a lot more click - click - click on the hardwood floor these days.

Soooo very interested in the PediPaw and or dremel.

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 10:15:53 am »
I just use a regular corded dremel, I dont use a rechargeable only because I hate the thought of the battery dieing before I am done.  I also wear safety glasses.  Gages nails are black as well, and I have never made him bleed, when you get closer to the quick they turn a lighter colour so it is pretty easy to know when you are close, a lot easier than with regular nail clippers IMO.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 10:34:12 am »
Grace gives the Pedi Paws a big Thumbs Down.  It's going back to the store tomorrow.  She fights me enough with the clippers, but hates this thing, especially when it starts to smell like smoke.  So, I gave her a choice...the file or the clippers.  I fought her for about 5 minutes, but she chose the clippers and was still none too happy about it. 
Man I hate doing those nails.