Saint Bernards > Saint Bernard General Discussions

Bloat in Sts.

<< < (2/3) > >>

DAMAGE:
So very sorry for your loss. Take comfort in knowing that in the time she was with you she had a beautiful quality of life she had not had living on the streets. Yes, bloat has an increased risk with certain breeds of dogs, and often no matter what precautions we take it still can occur. All we can do is is make ourselves as knowledgeable as we can about recognizing the symptoms and doing what we can to minimize the 'known' risks. There are "Bloat Kits" you can buy or put together and a good vet will show you how to use it. It still means code red and get to the doctor ASAP but it might buy you a bit of time til you can get there. It seems these emergencies always seem to happen in the middle of the night or on a weekend. :(
Again, so sorry about your Betsy. I will include her in my Memorial Candlelighting Ceremony tonight. If you would like to know what this about here is the link: http://www.mondaycandleceremony.com/

maxsmom:
I am so sorry this happened.  Bloat is horrible and can take a dog so quickly. 
As a side note, I hope everyone is familiar with the accupressure points for treating bloat, please learn them and practice on your dog.  Our local dane rescue group swears by them.  They have dealt with many bloat cases, only a few requiring surgery.  According to what they have explained, you can actually hear and feel the dogs digestive tract start working and watch the swelling and hardness go away, as you are doing it.  This is something I do with Max regularly, not because there is a problem, but because I want him to be comfortable with it, if it is ever needed.
http://www.iwane.org/A_P.htm 
Kathy

kristinmsn:
I am so sorry for your loss of Betsy and also your other two golden retrievers.  My sweet 8 yr. old dobie Missy died from bloat/torsion a week and a half ago on Nov. 1st.  She was perfectly fine and in good spirits in the morning.  My husband fed her around 9:30 and she was also a fussy dog so we would give her a couple of small meals a day and half the time, she wouldn't even finish what was in her bowl.  Anyway, I got home about 11:30 from taking my other dog to the vet for routine shots.  About 1:00, I noticed that Missy was acting a bit strange, but it wasn't anything out of the ordinary.  She used to experience an upset stomach about once a month and would even vomit some bile.  Vet was not concerned and said that some dogs did this.  The signs she showed me that day were restlessness, she vomited a couple of times, moped around and also hid.  I had seen these signs before so there were no red flags.  I didn't even notice that her belly was distended until my husband got home a couple of hours later and he noticed it.  That's when I called the emergency vet.  At that point, she didn't look good.  She got up to walk and collapsed but was still with us.  My husband put her in the truck and drove to the hospital which was a forty minute ride.  She never made it :(  Now, I sit here and blame myself for not watching her closely.  Again, I just thought like you that it was an upset stomach.  Had never heard of bloat.  I feel very guilty and wish I had taken her to the vet sooner.  They say that even if you take them to the vet right away, there is no guarantee that they will make it.  Bloat/torsion supposedly comes on pretty quickly.  You are not a monster.  You did exactly what I did and that was...acted when you saw that something was seriously wrong.  Hugs.   

kristinmsn:
Forgot to add that my vet told me that if I had fed her a ton of food, gave her a ton of water and put her outside to exercise for two hours, then it would be my fault.  Missy ate a little bit, had no water to drink afterwards and then just laid on the couch.  No running around at all.  I'm starting to think stress has something to do with it.  Missy had a very fearful temperment and was stressed easily. 

Tonda:

--- Quote from: kristinmsn on November 12, 2008, 11:07:30 am ---I'm starting to think stress has something to do with it.  Missy had a very fearful temperment and was stressed easily. 

--- End quote ---

From what I've read, stress/anxiety is a major factor, or at least dogs with anxious temperaments are more prone to bloat than dogs with mellow temperaments. My friend’s parents recently lost their Fila to bloat, and that dog was one big ball of nervous issues (very needy, extreme separation anxiety, fearful of strangers/loud noises, etc.).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version