Author Topic: Tinks Picts  (Read 12148 times)

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Tinks Picts
« on: November 11, 2008, 02:18:32 am »
I just wanted to show everyone how much Tink has grown and changed color. She started out black with four white toes and is now more of a Russian Blue (like the cat, which is weird)They told me at the shelter she was a black lab/komondor mix. She has changed colors drastically and is only 10 months old. Some of her roots are coming back in black though. Has anyone had this kind of drastic color change in their pups? When should her color stabilize? Your guess is as good as mine! She goes to the groomer for a spa day on Friday. I will try and post more picts after. I have to get a good one for our BPO Christmas Cards before she gets dirty again.lol!
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Tinks Picts
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 02:47:28 am »
It is really cool in the wind! Her coat is about 4-6 inches long and when the wind catches it, you can see the dark roots underneath. Her coat is soo soft, it is like sueade. She is a very pretty girl, but what a hoss!
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 03:30:54 am »
Although the color switch is odd, it is also super cool! She is such a beautiful girl.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Anakalia

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 04:14:18 am »
Tink is absolutely adorable!  I love the long fur, it does look super soft!

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 04:23:31 am »
Has anyone seen or experienced this type of color change in a dog's coat?

Has anyone seen a coat change color "seasonally"? It really does have some dark roots coming in. Do you think it will change back dark?

Any groomers out there have an idea?
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)

Anakalia

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 04:34:55 am »
I was a groomer for awhile and I have seen longer haired breeds with lighter ends.  From the looks of her pictures, she will probably stay that color unless you shave her down, then of course her dark roots will show.  Does she have an undercoat?  I'm wondering if the undercoat is the darker color that you're seeing. I do think she's gorgeous, I love her coloring and she looks so happy in those pics!

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 05:10:36 am »
Her hair naturally seperates like a komondors but they don't actually cord until they are three years old. The groomer I go to did not want to cut her back until she was at least a year to see what her coat would do. Plus, it is getting cold hear now. I will probably cut her back 2-3 inches this Spring to make her coat more managable. She mats easily so I brush her alot. She doesn't really have an "undercoat" but it is thicker near her body than the ends. Believe it or not, she still has some remnants of her puppy fur. Her ears have stayed black, even on the inside so we will just have to see. You never know what you are going to get with a mixed breed. It is a surprise! I have some picts I will have to post when she was in the middle of molting her puppy coat. She was black with a silver back and looked just like a gorilla. The groomer cut her muzzle back real short because of all the slobber and drool, she was matting on her muzzle and OH THE SMELL! The shorter muzzle seems to help, but now she looks a little more like a collie than the schnauser face she used to have. I love her no matter what! I will keep you posted if she turns purple or something. lol.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 05:35:11 am »
I have PBGVs and they change colors all the time.  WhoShe was born black and white then went tri then went orange and white and is now back to sable and white with her black hairs coming back in- she is just 2 years old.  The only color that won't change are the orange and whites- if born O&W they will stay that color for life.

yellow_dog_mom

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 08:38:48 am »
Whoa, that's an amazing color change :o Tink is looking like a commercial for Lady Clariol. She's so BEE-U-T-FUL. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 10:22:54 am by yellow_dog_mom »

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 08:49:09 am »
WOW, Tink looks alot like your OES. She her face looked just like his before I had her groomed. You couldn't see her face at all. He is beautiful! I love big shaggy dogs!
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 12:16:34 pm »
Tink is a gorgeous dog.  I love her color then and now.

Keiko entire body color didn't change dramatically, but she did almost entirely lose her black saddle from her shoulders to her tail.  You can barely make the small marks out on her shoulders now and as a pup, her entire back was black.  She also lightened up a few shades but not dramatically.  She does change seasonally, and in the winter gets hints of red on her shoulders and hips.

Pups that I see that make the most dramatic change are wheaton terriers.  They start out very dark as puppies and of course lighten to the wheaten color they are known for.

I don't think its uncommen for darker dogs to lighten up a few shades as they lose their puppy coats.  There are a number of breeds that do this.  Great pyranees often lose their markings as they age.  Several terrier breeds do this as well.  I believe the irish wolfhound lightens as it gets its adult coat in as well, often the brindles lose their brindling or it becomes hard to make out.

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 03:13:47 pm »
wow... that is a bit of a difference, but a gorgeous difference!!  She is so pretty.  Do you have any whole body side profile pics of her?
Your probably saying, "yeah, right.  I was lucky to get these."  LOL!
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 03:26:29 pm »
no doubt that's a big change.  she looks like a different dog. Still, she's very pretty

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 11:06:20 pm »
I fostered a litter of Australian Cattle Dog mix pups who were born white with big black spots, like a dalmation, or just pure white, then changed to speckled grey and black in just a few months.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

yellow_dog_mom

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 01:58:24 am »
Thinking about the color changing...Mar garet's face was very black w/ a white beard as a little pup. She's 8 months, and now her face is a reddish color. It's an amazing color, especially in the sun. She still has the white beard.

Margaret looks like she's been to a trendy, high $$$ "subtle colourist"

Below is the best example.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 02:03:23 am by yellow_dog_mom »