Author Topic: How often to you give them a bath?  (Read 20396 times)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: How often to you give them a bath?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 09:25:20 am »
I must be weird b/c I really only bathe mine about 2-3 times a year unless someone gets into something.

keiko's hair sloughs off dirt rather easily and she never has a doggie odor.  Gunther will get a slight odor, but you have to actually take a whiff of him to smell it so it's barely noticeable.  Nigel and Posey have had baths more often b/c if they are sick they make big messes in their kennels.

Our bathtub is not convenient for baths or I might do it more often.  Tiny bathroom and sliding doors so I have to keep opening and closing one side or the other to do both ends of the dogs.......... ...lol.  Gunther barely fits in the bathroom at all once he's out of the tub.  :P

Tonda

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 09:28:46 am »
I must be weird b/c I really only bathe mine about 2-3 times a year unless someone gets into something.

Nope. I'm the same. Unless they're FILTHY or STINKY I don't bathe 'em (I do rinse them off after they've been in the ocean though).

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 09:43:28 am »
I only do my pups about 1-2 times a year.  They get baths in the tub.  I have to join them in the tub.  I am going to have to look into the hose attachment.  I have done baths outside but once you turn Kaila loose to bath the other one she is rolling in the grass.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 09:56:15 am »
that's about how it is here too.  I get a bath after Grace does because she gets me all soggy and soapy with wiggling and shaking.

Offline karateblossom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • skin and fur family of many children from ages 5 to 14 living at home; and eng mastiff named odin and a siamese named april. we are like alvin and the chipmunks meet garfield!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 10:35:26 am »
Odin gets a bath once every 6 weeks during the summer and 3 months during the cooler months. We bathe him outside so that has everything to do with it.

Plus, when he goes through his twice a year hormone cycle thing (I equate it to a bitch in heat), I bathe him. :)

Oh, and anytime I can get the kids to contribute, well that helps.

As a puppy, we didn't bathe very often at all - didn't want to facilitate skin allergies. I think his first real bath was at a year.

karma is kewl!

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 02:33:32 pm »
Rosie gets a bath quarterly too. Since she's had such rough year with her back right leg (torn ACL and luxating patella ALL in a span of a year), we've timed her baths pre-surgery or when she's been well-recovered post-surgery.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 07:35:25 am »
Titan gets a bath every week when in show season...(or every show) he has not had one in several months now (since we are out) but he is fine. We actually took all the dogs to a dog wash expecting BLACK water, but to our shock , after 4 months of no baths, playing in mud and what not, the water was clear.  The dirt is repelled by their fur, and they literally sleep off the dirt.  (granted the crates and rooms may have dirt now...but we clean daily!)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 09:53:53 am »
Grace just got out of the tub.  She went outside and rolled on a rotten cracked open bird egg.  She wreeked.

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2008, 02:46:11 pm »
How is it that you're able to bath your big paws in your tub? We have a regular tub and washed just Rosie's head in it once (after she rubbed her head in poop). And with just her head, she'd just about clogged our drain cover.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2008, 02:58:34 pm »
How is it that you're able to bath your big paws in your tub? We have a regular tub and washed just Rosie's head in it once (after she rubbed her head in poop). And with just her head, she'd just about clogged our drain cover.
I don't know  ??? I wash Lily in our shower for the past 2 years and it's fine...not a single clog  :-\ It's easy and convenient and I don't have to hold her as she can't get out  :) 
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Akitamom08

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Porscha- My American Akita
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2008, 03:30:26 pm »
:) I usually give my Dogs a bath once a month. And i give them a bath in my Bath tub in my Bathroom. "Mercedes" of course can fit in the tub nicely but "Porscha" is getting bigger and bigger. But yeah i just give my dogs a Bath once a month or every 2 months. Depending if they smell bad or their coats look dirty. :)

Proud Owner Of
*Black Labrador Mix - Mercedes
*American Akita - Porscha

"If dogs dont have souls, then look into a Akitas eyes"
•*´`*•.AMY,PORSCHA,& MERCEDES•*´`*•

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2008, 11:46:36 am »
i just love that freshly cleaned smell and soft puppy fur feel.  Nothing like bath day.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2008, 06:06:18 pm »
We bathe our pups usually about every 3-4 months and we looooove the u-bathe facility at our local pet store.  Where they provide the elevated baths, towels, shampoo, etc.  It's easier on our backs & it's probably easier on the dogs, too.  Oh & we try and bathe them a week or so apart to give us time to recover in between.  LOL   :)  ;)
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees