Author Topic: Back to the vet...  (Read 8399 times)

Lyn

Back to the vet...
« on: November 13, 2008, 08:43:21 am »
With Demon our adopted humane society kitty. For those that don't know the backstory I posted about him here.. http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php?topic=23805.0

Anyway since July we are on oh about vet visit number 12+. I've lost track now. ::) The upper respiratory infection he's had since July is still hanging on. Multiple medications and it just comes right back within 3 days of finishing the prescription. I'm so frustrated it's sickening. :'(

I'm also getting increasingly frustrated with the humane society. Yes I signed a contract stating he'd be neutered by September 17th but if my vet won't neuter him until he's healthy how is that my fault?

I get an email from them asking how he is.. Sounds sweet.. but uh uh... I know they are hinting about the neuter since it's almost 2 months past the contract date. I have a feeling they are going to be showing up at my door soon attempting to take him back. If that's the case I'll be posting an update after I'm bailed out of the clink.  :P

Well enough ranting. LOL

I have an appointment for him today at 3:45. I'm getting ready to leave in a couple minutes.

Good healing thoughts would be nice. ;) So I can get him healthy and neutered and get the HS off my back.  ;D

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Back to the vet...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 08:48:52 am »
sending some good vibes... poor little guy.wish you and him the best...
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline KatysTank

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Mya
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 08:50:33 am »
Wishing Demon the best!

jesday

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 08:57:43 am »
I'm guessing you've notified the Humane Society of the delay in neutering? Maybe they'll give you a reprieve. :D

Respiratory infections can take such a long time in kitties. :-\ Kisses to Demon for a full recovery soon. :-* :-*

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 04:00:44 am »
Ok I'm so relieved... The vet gave me the go ahead.. Demon is scheduled to be neutered November 20th. YAY!

The vet said he could hear his nose whistling but his chest is clear. It's just his left nostril now that plugs up. But he said we could wait forever and it might not completely go away. AND that after the neuter I can probably expect a flare up of the URI since stress can worsen the symptoms.

Stella, the humane society does know about everything. I've told them that he wasn't healthy enough to do the neuter and to contact my vet (which is also their vet) for info if they didn't believe me. They said my vet wouldn't tell them anything which is completely untrue. My vet is the one that told me to tell her to call him if she had any questions. LOL

I think they are just mad at me for getting them banned at the pet store for bringing in sick kittens. They were all loaded with Coccidia.  ::)

In any case on the 20th it will be over and I won't have to worry about them coming to take him anymore.  ;D

lookingfornewf

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 04:06:30 am »
Can the Humane Society actually take away your pet for not having them spayed/ neutered? I got Annie at the one in Indianapolis 8 years ago. They sent me a few letters asking about her spay. I did get her spayed as early as possible, was just lazy and never mailed them a copy. They seemed to just drop it. I'm not concerned about them taking her away after all this time just curious as to what their actual rights are.
Good Luck with Demon's neutering. Enjoy him when he comes home. That's the only calm day Annie and one of my cat's too ever had.

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 04:16:51 am »
Thanks!

The contract I signed stated he was to be neutered by September 17th or they had the right to take him back. I had to sign it in order to finalize the adoption.

I contacted them right away to tell them he would not be neutered by that date. At that time he had Coccidia and the URI. So they were understanding then, but I think they thought it would only be a couple week delay. Now it's over 2 months past the contact date and I think they don't believe he still has the respiratory infection. Why the heck would I lie about that?! Demon is 6 months old now. The last thing I want is him spraying in my house. ::)

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 04:27:45 am »
Glad to hear he is ok for the neuter. I have the same problem with Buckley (my herpes kitty). He finishes his rx and within a few days we are right back to green snot nose. My vet is planning on giving him antibiotics the week before his neuter. Good luck to that little guy and hoping he comes thru just fine.
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

jesday

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 04:27:54 am »
Perhaps it could be a case of too many volunteers?? Different people working the desk and nobody making notations in the file. Maybe there is a pile of  "Calls" to make for open files?

I have become a bit cynical over the years at the lack of efficiency out there, being the perfect administrator that I am. ::)

Lyn

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 05:24:24 am »
The humane society is rather small here, they don't even have a building. :( I only spoke with 2 people. The lady that runs the show (I email her directly) and Demon's foster mom was calling me almost daily for updates at first.

I remember them telling me that they thought Demon was mentally off. He used to meow and meow pretty much constantly. Turns out the meowing was because he was SICK! Once we treated the Coccidia the meowing stopped. He probably had a belly ache. The poor guy. Now he's litterally the most quiet cat I've ever had.

Here's an updated pic of him. He's 7.5 pounds now compared to the measly 1 pound he was when I got him in July.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 09:47:15 am »
OMG Lyn! The kitty looks great!!! I remember how tiny that baby was  :(
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 10:38:18 am »
Awwww, he's really, really purrrr-dy!   :D   :-*  I too, remember how tiny he was, but he's looking wonderful now.  You've done a great job with him, Lyn.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Lyn

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 05:03:58 am »
I look back at the pictures from July and I'm amazed he was so tiny. The untreated Coccidia stalled his growth.. but he's recovered just fine. The only lingering problem is his sensitive tummy and he get's excess buildup of wax in his ears.

We are getting closer to the 20th and now my anxiety is building. I'm a complete freak when it comes to anesthetic. :( I'm not looking forward to doing it again twice after Demon! Lola needs to be spayed.. I keep putting it off because I get all freaked out days before the appointment and cancel it. :-[ And then Louie our baby himi will need to be neutered in a couple months. He's only 3.5 months at the moment..

Edited to add a pic of Louie. Look how cute he is! LOL He's such a sweetheart.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 05:11:53 am by Lyn »

Lyn

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 05:18:38 am »
The vet figures he'll hit about 9-10 pounds. He needs to fill out... He's really long and lanky. His build kind of reminds me of a Siamese. Here's a pic of him standing.

You can see his gross ears too.. Yuck. He won't let me clean them. I'm going to get the vet to do it while he's out for the neuter.

Lyn

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 05:28:00 am »
He's probably about 7 pounds in that picture. From above he looks like a stick figure. LOL

I think Russian Blue's are also lanky. Although I'm wondering if he's not a Russian blue/Siamese/tabby. LOL He's developed stripes on his tail and faint spots along his sides.