Author Topic: Im new ,And I have An American Bandog Mastiff(English MastiffxAmerican Bulldog)  (Read 23991 times)

Offline beastmaster

• Gnawer
  • Lulah(8 weeks) and Vito
    • View Profile
So we have a 15 week old pup,  she weighs 30lbs.  She is and English Mastiff, American Bulldog Mix, also breed as Bandog's.  She has just been taken off antibiotics and Vet prescribed dog food, because she had crystals and blood clots and bacteria in her bladder and urinary track.  I have no idea how big she is going to get, The Mom American Bull was about 90 lbs, and Dad english Mastiff was 200 about.  I know that the prescription food was horrible for her growth, and I hope she can recover.  Has anyone else encountered this breed, or had these health issues.  Oh by the way...we also have a Mini Schnauzer, and a Bull Terrier(ANN DEES)
The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's.  ~Mark Twain

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
you have a BT? from ann dees! i have their book! LOL
and i have two bts! welcome to Big paws. post pics of all your bebies. i'd love to see lots of pics :)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline Akitamom08

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Porscha- My American Akita
    • View Profile
*Welcome to the BP*

Sorry i dont have any advice on the health issues your pup is having. Someone else on here might though. :)

And your pup is so cute! :)
Cant wait to hear about your furkids and cant wait to see lots of pictures of them also. :)

I have a American Akita and a Black Lab mix!
Pictures of them in Sig.

;D Welcome to the BP again, You will get a lot of Advice and help on here

Proud Owner Of
*Black Labrador Mix - Mercedes
*American Akita - Porscha

"If dogs dont have souls, then look into a Akitas eyes"
•*´`*•.AMY,PORSCHA,& MERCEDES•*´`*•

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Hello and welcome!  I have not heard of Bandogs but it sounds like an interesting mix.  Would love to see some pix of all your furry family.

I don't know about the blood clots and bacteria stuff but i know of several people who have pets with crystals, particularly in the urninary tract and bladder.  It appears it is becoming more and more commen.  All 3 dogs I know that got it have all been diagnosed with it in the last 2 years (and I have heard of several cats and clients dogs recently as well).  One, a shih tzu is on a prescription diet.  Another, a mixed breed is also on a special diet but I'm not sure what.  The third I know a little more about.  A chinese crested male.  All are on a low protein diet.  Very low protein, like 15% or less is preferable.

he was diagnosed about 6-9 months ago.  B/c of his breed it made it even harder to find a dietary way to go b/c he has to have soft food (naked cresteds loose their teeth at an early age).  I think she found a homemade low protein diet online.  For Noid, he eventually had to have corrective surgery as a last resort b/c diet alone was not helping.  He now pees out of a new opening below his rectum.  ::) And he still has occasional crystal problems where they have to go in and clean  him out.  But nothing like what was happening before the surgery.  I guess there is a medication you can try as well but is not available in Canada, where my friend lives.

Hope your girl is feeling okay now.
My name is Chris, and my crew is listed below.  :)

Tonda

Welcome to the list.

She looks healthy enough in the photo (not too skinny). My mastiff girl was 45 lbs @ 15 weeks, but her mix (Bullmastiff and Neapolitan Mastiff) is likely to be slightly larger in the end than your Bandog girl. I'm guessing Slag and her sister Tallulah--who owned by my best friend--will be about 140/150 (which is what our vets think too).

What are you feeding her now? We've got our monsters on Eagle Pack Holistic Giant Breed Puppy Food, and they're doing great (nice steady growth, 3-5 lbs a week).

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Wow what a cute little one. If you need really low protein diet I saw online that there is a vegeterian dog food. Not sure what the protein level was but I'm guessing it was probably low. Hmmm looking for the site now. Here is a site with dry dog food analysis for you. Hope this helps

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog-food-index-a.html
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline karateblossom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • skin and fur family of many children from ages 5 to 14 living at home; and eng mastiff named odin and a siamese named april. we are like alvin and the chipmunks meet garfield!
    • View Profile
She is CUTE! Sorry though, my babyy is not a mix. He is now almost 4 years and around 170lbs. Here he is at 4 months.
karma is kewl!

Offline KatysTank

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Mya
    • View Profile
what a cutie and welcome!

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
For Noid, he eventually had to have corrective surgery as a last resort b/c diet alone was not helping.  He now pees out of a new opening below his rectum.  ::) And he still has occasional crystal problems where they have to go in and clean  him out.  But nothing like what was happening before the surgery.  I guess there is a medication you can try as well but is not available in Canada, where my friend lives.

Sorry to thread jack, but we know Noid :)  Well not know him personally, but I used to belong to a website where his mom would talk about him all the time.  What a tiny world :)
I watch his videos on youtube :)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
Quote from: DaneInsane on Today at 11:29:43 am
Quote from: ZooCrew on November 13, 2008, 06:30:10 pm
For Noid, he eventually had to have corrective surgery as a last resort b/c diet alone was not helping.  He now pees out of a new opening below his rectum.   And he still has occasional crystal problems where they have to go in and clean  him out.  But nothing like what was happening before the surgery.  I guess there is a medication you can try as well but is not available in Canada, where my friend lives.

Sorry to thread jack, but we know Noid   Well not know him personally, but I used to belong to a website where his mom would talk about him all the time.  What a tiny world

I watch his videos on youtube

I first met Sheri and Noid on Dogster.  We now both belong to another dog group. She has since added to her family.  A powderpuff female named Niya and recently adopted a grogeous rescue hairless named Wystie.  She unfortunately had to rehome her other dog Ryder a few months ago (due to escalating aggression b/t him and Noid) but he was given to family friends so is sent updates on him frequently.  So i get to see Noid's gorgeous mug all the time.   ;D

Offline beastmaster

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
She is eating Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy..... When I figure out how to put picks up...I will add more....She is bigger now...But that Prescript. Dog food made her skinny.  But she doest have any Blood Clots or Crystals right now so hopefully she can stay that way.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
Noid's mom said to mention canine cystinuria and see if that is what you may have or had.  It is most commen in mastiffs, scottish deerhounds and newfoundlands.

On a side note
DaneInsane.... ........sounds like you found Noid's website.  She has some nice stuff on there and did Gunther's mug on a couple of tea towels for me.  I'm going to be placing some Christmas orders thru there as well.
http://www.laboneyard.com/  Another friend of mine makes the cuddlesacks.

Offline KJUNMAMI

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Justice baby
    • View Profile
I am just curious, You say a bandog is the same as an American Bulldog but when I just recently ran across the Bandog breed it was actually a new seperate breed crossed with several breeds mainly the boxer and also some Pit Bull. Anyway your pit is Sooo cute! ;D
Mommy to
one baby girl 1 yr and one boy 3 yrs
pitbull Justice-70 lbs. @ 10 mos.
2 kitties Thelma and Louise 1 year.

Tonda

As far as I know, Bandogs are cross-breeds, and different breeders use different foundation dogs. Am. Bulldogs are one of several that are being used in the creation of this new breed. Neos get used a lot too, as do Pits, and pretty much every kind of mastiff.

Technically, I think my Bull/Neo crosses would count as "Bandogs" too. Though since that was not the intent of the breeder, I wouldn't use the term.

Offline beastmaster

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Actually Bandogs, or Bandogges as some say, have been around for centuries.  A Bandog simplified is actually A Mastiff mixed with a Bull Baiting dog.  And Im talking about original uses, i.e American Bulldogs, Bulldogs, American Pit Bull Terriers and so on.  Some people use APBT's a lot, but those are more aggressive.  Yes a Neo is a Bandog, and the most common Bandog is....The Bull Mastiff.