Author Topic: Bloodhound Skin Problem  (Read 5626 times)

Offline queen3780

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Bloodhound Skin Problem
« on: November 15, 2008, 05:30:09 am »
Hello everyone.  I am new to the BP and this is my first post.  I have a 3 year old Bloodhound working dog.  She has terrible skin problems that seem to attack just her belly and chest.  She is constantly itching these areas to the point of bleeding.  Vet is not sure what her problem is, but has her on 20 mg of Prednisone.  He says its not healthy for her to be on it long term. 

The second I stop giving it to her she's itching again.  Its a large patch of rashy-looking redness with raised bumps and she's pretty much worn the hair off from scratching.  I've switched her food and now she eats lamb and rice.  No change.  She does swim in our pool constantly, even in the winter, but the vet doesnt think its that cuz its only on her belly. 

Any ideas??

Viking Lady

Re: Bloodhound Skin Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 05:56:52 am »
Hi
I shouldn't even reply because I don't know the answer. I know itchy rashes are so miserable and I feel bad for both of you. I was just wondering....i f it is red and raised is it possible it has anything to do with yeast? I am only saying that because of diaper rashes and I know they aren't the same but..........
There are ointments for yeast or even athlete's foot.
Just a thought...

Icerotti

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 06:06:37 am »
Could it be an contact allergy? Perhaps she is allergic to a certain grass, weed etc in your area? Have you tried giving her Bendryl?

I use Isles Paste when our Weim gets a rash on her tummy. It is usually found in the baby isle. I actully found out about it when my daughter was young and would really bad diaper rashes. The only thing is it is really thick and pastey--so I would watch your furniture.. ;) I still use it when my daughter gets a rash on her legs or arms--she has very sensitive skin

Welcome to BPO. OH, did I mention I LOVE bloodhounds!!! I just posted a post last week wanting to know pros and cons...lol

Good Luck I hope your girl finds some relief.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 06:07:25 am by Icerotti »

jesday

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 06:57:31 am »
Not to second guess your vet, but could it be a staff infection. My Sophie gets the red rash belly and we have to put her on antibiotics with combination of medicated topical spray to the red area. Once we get it under control I check her regularly and as soon as I see even the slighted red coming back I spray it. If I catch it soon enough a couple of sprays takes care of it. She's only had one bad outbreak since doing this.

You may also want to try a grain-free diet. There are many companies offering a grain-free food line. I use Taste Of The Wild, bison. It also comes in salmon and wild game bird.

Good luck with your girl.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 09:16:19 am »
Hi and welcome to the board.  One of my dogs, Shiner, has a contact allergy with a grass in my yard.  Every year around Sept/Oct he gets a rash on his belly and starts scratching and losing fur.  That seems to be the time the grass has some flowers on it.  He also chews on his feet and starts to lose fur on them too.  I think I have narrowed down which grass it is but he has to get a steroid shot and some antibiotics for about a week and then he is good.  It sounds kind of like the same thing your girl is going through.  Hope that helps.

Kat 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience