Author Topic: Hip Displasia and Eddy  (Read 4079 times)

Offline bigeddythesaint

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Hip Displasia and Eddy
« on: August 12, 2005, 07:06:23 am »
Well Eddy had operation #2 on 7/14 and he is doing great.  For those of you that are not aware, Eddy was born with severe hip displasia.  We did not realize it until he was a year old.  Our vet performed  an FHO  on 3/9 (the day after his first birthday).  We were very discourgaged after the first operation and took him to a OS for a second opinion.  The OS told us he did not have many options and probably would not fair well not matter what we did.  Our decision was to have him put down and spare him any more pain.  Our vet disagreed strongly and wanted us to let him do the other side.  Well I am glad we did because he is running around as if he is normal.  Anyone going through this I reccomend looking at an FHO.  Money played a big part in our decision, but everything worked out great.  His case was extreme and right now it looks as if he has the quality of life back and time will tell how long we have.

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Hip Displasia and Eddy
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 07:34:39 am »
That is great to hear.  I am constantly watching Day-z for any signs of this, but it is reassuring to hear that things can be done to help should this happen.

He is lucky to have such good people.

Give your boy a big old hug from us.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 09:21:58 am »
Congrats on the good results!  We are pulling for you!  We did a total hip replacement on our first Newf since he had no hip socket on one side and after the awful recovery period, he did great!!

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 09:56:09 am »
Glad to hear all is going well.  Heres to a speedy recovery ;D

nickerbokker

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 02:17:22 pm »
i'm sitting in the library with tears rolling down my cheeks!!!!!!!!!

i have had eddy on my mind ever since i made my first post about wango and you emailed me....and to hear this news just makes me soooooo glad!  i do not know what lies ahead for angus....becau se as of now, the dog shows no pain....NO PAIN....IT KINDA ANNOYS ME CUZ HE JUMPS AROUND LIKE A FRIGGIN KANGAROO.....B UT, i have always thought about little eddy....and this news could not be better!

i am sooooo happpy for you and him and family!  keep us updated!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 02:45:16 pm »
I am glad that Eddy is fine and so is Angus, I hope that Angus had growing pains and not hip displasia.
Good luck to both of you ;D

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 02:50:58 pm »
Oh, look at the beautiful boy!  I am so glad he is doing well. 
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

nickerbokker

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 03:10:39 pm »
ang got x-rayed.  one hip is 40% in...one is 20% in...or something like that......all i know is, the rays weren't good....but the friggin dog acts normal. 

who knows!

but parise jesus for eddy!

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 03:16:30 pm »
ang got x-rayed.  one hip is 40% in...one is 20% in...or something like that......all i know is, the rays weren't good....but the friggin dog acts normal. 

who knows!

but parise jesus for eddy!

All you can do is wait and see.   Pray for the best, prepare for the worst, and wait and see....

Good wishes and love to all the babies with bad hips (including, potentially, mine  :()... 
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Tippy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 10:14:29 am »
Oh - he is SUCH a sweetie!  Bless his heart!

We have used Ester C for our Saints for the past two years - and with excellent results.  I'm not sure why this isn't more publicized - but probably because more studies need to be done.

Here's a site - and you can research many, many more.  This is a fascinating treatment - and our eldest Saint-mix of 7 years, who was once nearly crippled by the problem - now runs and plays.  She still has some slight trouble first thing in the AM - when she wakes up - but nothing like she used to. 

Our bitch, who is already OFA certified as 'good' stills takes it during pregnancy and nursing - to assure pups with good hips.  I'm not advocating that you try it - just that it has worked wonders for us - and others - and that you might be interested in researching it.

http://www.workingdogs.com/doc0039.htm

Good luck to you.  He is a precious baby!