Author Topic: Big Mistake!!!  (Read 8631 times)

Offline BrewMaster

• Ankle Biter
  • My dog is a giant creature from the muppet show!
    • View Profile
Big Mistake!!!
« on: November 17, 2008, 09:08:46 am »
Yesterday was an amazingly crazy day.  We have been taking Brutus to the dog park several days a week because it has really helped to improve his fear issues.  In fact, up until last night he was starting to branch out and was becoming super friendly with even people he had never met before.  The submissive peeing has not been a problem for almost 2 weeks now and we are really, really proud of our big softy dog.

Yesterday my husband and I had to made a day road trip down to another part of the state to do a home inspection for a couple of macaws we are going to adopt out.  We got up early and let the dogs out and then let Brutus back in because he seems more secure sprawled out on the tile in our kitchen.  We left and wouldn't return for about 10 hours.  Brutus has proven to be able to hold it for quite some time, so I wasn't too worried but worst case we might have a little mess to clean off the tile when we returned. 

When I walked in the front door carrying my sleeping one year old, all the lights were off but my sense of smell was suddenly horrified.  Dog poop.  And not just regular dog poop, either.  Baaaddddd dog poop.  Oh well, I thought.  Brutus is in the kitchen, I'll just clean it off the tile when I set the baby down.  Our two year old son ran in the door after me and started playing with his toys in the livingroom in the dark.  When I walked back through to go to the kitchen (about 20 seconds later) and turned on the lights I noticed a giant Brutus cowering in the corner of the livingroom.  It wasn't until then that I saw all of the giant cow pies all over the livingroom carpet - and Gabe was running around in them, stomping.  There was also a giant sopping puddle in the same place where Brew had submissive peed in the carpet earlier when we came home one of the first days we had him.  Brutus had jumped the baby gate, or kicked it open somehow to get into the livingroom.  I was too speechless to say a word so instead I just got a bucket.

The night before last I made the mistake of letting Brew lick up some extra beef grease I had from cooking filets.  This probably upset his tummy and it looked like Brew pancked when he realized he needed to go outside NOW.  Did he jump the gate because he had to go potty and came looking for me, hoping that maybe I was home after all or did he jump the gate for fun and then upset himself so badly that he couldn't get back into the kitchen that he got the runs? 

We will likely never know for sure but he has been a basket case since the event.  Last night he bolted when he realized that we had discovered the mess.  I didn't say a word to anyone about the mess, including Brutus but routinely let him back into the kitchen, bent down and told him how sorry I was that he didn't feel good and that we weren't home when he needed us.  That seemed to calm him, as it is usual for me to bend down and tell him something sweet when I come home.  He responds by putting his big fuzzy mitt on my leg and gives me a little "I missed you" smile.  I let him outside incase he had to go potty again but he was terribly wound up again by the time he came back inside and went to hide.  This morning when I got up to let him out, he was super jumpy and seemed afraid of me.  My poor guy!  Hopefully the trauma wont last him too long, though he is likely still not feeling very well.  I just hope acting like the mess wasn't there will help him to realize that he's not in trouble. 

I ended up steam cleaning carpets until 5:00 in the morning.  We don't have a steam cleaner but I have one of those Spot Bots with a hose attachment and I just soaped and rinsed a few inches of the carpet at a time.  Yikes!  I I think I'm going to see how brutus feels about being left out when I go out from now on.  I work at home so I am rarely gone for long - and maybe this is part of what upset him so badly.  He thought we had left him for good, like his last owner did. Poor baby.

Anyway, I was hoping someone here could empathize with what happened.  I am truely amazed that today the carpets look almost like it hadn't even happened!!!  Vinegar and then Tide with color safe bleach makes an excellent carpet cleaner. 
-Anna   

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 09:20:14 am by BrewMaster »
Brutus - 50% Pyrenees, 25% Irish Wolfhound, 25% St. Bernard

Penny - Welsh Corgi Mix

Peggy Sue - Blue & Gold Macaw

Benny & BatToo - Cockatoos

...And Flock!

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Big Mistake!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 09:20:49 am »
I can relate. We found Titan the same way. I went to work in the morning came home around noond to find cow paddies EVERYWHERE! And he was happy to see me but had poop on his tail so now we had to clean poop from the floor and poop from the walls!
Poor thing... hope he's feeling better today!  :-*  :)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 09:26:37 am »
Oh, I feel so bad for you...I know how long it takes to clean poop from carpets   ::) :P
When Lily was a pup, about 4 months old, hubby came home and found me and her cuddled up sleeping on the floor and a HUGE pile of poop was not that far away  :D He said it stunk pretty badly but obviously not enough to wake me up! LOL
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 09:34:20 am by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

lookingfornewf

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 09:32:25 am »
Awwwww, poor Brutus :'( It brought tears to my eyes thinking about how upset he must have been. Once he realizes everything really is OK it will probably make him even more secure in your home to know he really is loved no matter what.
Of course I also feel very sorry for you up cleaning carpet all night.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 09:33:40 am »
When Lily was a pup, about 4 months old, hubby came home and found me and her cuddled up sleeping on the floor and the a HUGE pile of poop was not that far away   He said it stunk pretty badly but obviously not enough to wake me up! LOL

LOL........... .I know my hubby would have woken me up to have me clean up the pile.   :P

Tonda

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 09:34:34 am »
Poor baby (and poor you, just what you needed after a long drive).

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 09:35:47 am »
When Lily was a pup, about 4 months old, hubby came home and found me and her cuddled up sleeping on the floor and the a HUGE pile of poop was not that far away   He said it stunk pretty badly but obviously not enough to wake me up! LOL

LOL........... .I know my hubby would have woken me up to have me clean up the pile.   :P
He DID! LMAO
Did you really think he actually cleaned it while I was asleep??? BHAHAHAA He woke me up and said "What the heck is that?"  :D :D :D :D :D :D and there I went to work  :D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 09:37:04 am by People Whisperer »
Mary W. Crane

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 10:03:55 am »
Sounds like my husband.  He claims he can't do poop.  As he is cleaning it up, he's gagging all over the place.  So, anyway, I pick up and he scrubs. 

Same with Rob but I can't handle throw up and he'll clean that up. Guess we're destined to be together.  ::)

You see, that wouldn't work in my house...Lily never throws up! LOL
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 11:37:27 am by People Whisperer »
Mary W. Crane

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 12:14:02 pm »
Poor guy, he's probably just a bit confused. Especially if he was ever repremanded for having an accident.  I hope he is feeling better.
Look at it this way, you have some really clean carpet in spots...just in time for the holidays!

Ditto on the big carpet steamer.  Gunner has had the poopey accident that happened in his crate that he sat in and got all over me, the walls and carpet when I let him out to get him outside to try and clean that mess.  He ran straight to the almost white carpet that we have and was doing his "happy to see you dance" and then shook.
Yeah, it was not a pretty sight.

Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline BrewMaster

• Ankle Biter
  • My dog is a giant creature from the muppet show!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 12:52:04 pm »
What can you do?  I think these are just part of the joys of having pets!  I'm actually happy that the carpet is clean as I had been meaning to clean it for a while anyway.  I wish there had just been little spots, but brutus got it everywhere and then our 2 year old helped make a bigger mess!  The livingroom kind of smells like a dryer sheet now, and that's never a bad thing!  No complaining here though it would have been nice to clean carpets minus cow pies and not in the middle of the night.

Brutus seems to be a little bit better this evening though I still don't think he feels great. 

-Anna   
Brutus - 50% Pyrenees, 25% Irish Wolfhound, 25% St. Bernard

Penny - Welsh Corgi Mix

Peggy Sue - Blue & Gold Macaw

Benny & BatToo - Cockatoos

...And Flock!

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 03:50:52 pm »
What a greeting! Rosie's had a couple runny incidents when she obviously ate something she shouldn't have, but so far [knock on wood], no multiple cow pies. We've been meaning to get our carpets professionally steam cleaned, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad of an experience... that would finally push us to just get it done.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 03:58:20 pm »
Oh No!

We once had a poop incident that involved a phone call from my stepson and the words:  "it's bad.  i'm NOT going back in there!"   :D :D :D

i vote for a steam cleaner too.  i couldn't live without mine!

Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us