Author Topic: HELP ASAP - Kate is hurt  (Read 26963 times)

k2campbell

HELP ASAP - Kate is hurt
« on: November 17, 2008, 03:34:20 pm »
Weirdest thing happened tonight. After supper Eric, Blake and I went upstairs to go get changed into our warm clothes to take Kate for our daily walk. When we came back downstairs she was looking at us with her ears straight back...she was shaking in her hind end...and was walking with her head down (she usually does this when she knows she's done something bad)...  :-\

We looked her over and praised her for a few minutes...tail wagging...lips looked good and pink...seemed to be ok. We got half way around the block and Kate literally fell into a snow pile, unusual. Not playful...just down. Asked her if she was ok and she was wagging her tail, laying there...then started to pant FURIOUSLY. ??? She eventually got up and we turned back and came home...

Ever since she's been trying to lay down but whines, evenutally she gets down though. She is still shaking in her hind end. Her lips are still good and pink. We did our best to get her on her side and move her legs/hips around to see if we could figure it out...we did. She isn't able to bend her left hind leg. Tried going up the few steps to the main floor and she went up just fine but is definitely favoring that leg. That is where the majority of the shaking appears to be coming from...

We just sent her outside with a big bone to get her mind off of it...she was hesitant to take it at first but since has...  :P

What can we do for her? I'm thinking she slipped on the floor while we were up getting changed and strained/sprained it...can we do hot/cold? Should I move it around for her? Any advice ASAP would be appreciated! ;)

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: HELP ASAP - Kate is hurt
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 03:45:06 pm »
My first thought with the shaking hind legs is that it has something to do with her nervous system. Maybe she fell/slipped/did something to pinch one of her nerves that goes down her spine to her hind leg. If it doesn't improve by tomorrow morning, a visit to the vet would be best.
Rosie - Newfoundland

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 03:46:16 pm »
a low dose asprin should take the edge off for now.  Grace has on and off again strains like this.   it's has a lot to do with her ACL's.  do couch rest for about 7 days and see if it improves or itis sudden lameness.  It very well could be the ACL that is torn.

k2campbell

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 03:52:55 pm »
Thanks everyone for your thoughts...if things don't improve by tomorrow we'll definitely take her in for a vet visit...

A change in the last few minutes...she puts her head down and does a mad dash to the door (she does this when she needs to throw up too) but when we let her out she just stands on the patio and looks around...like nothing is going on? She also won't leave our sides in the house...stuck to us like glue... ???

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 03:54:43 pm »
Poor baby Kate. Fingers crossed that everything is ok in the morning.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

jesday

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 04:39:18 pm »
She may have even dislocated her knee which in turn may be pressing on ACL causing the shaking. I hope I don't sound too dramatic, but the panting, restlessness, trying to go out, all sound like she is in pain. Particularly the getting up and wanting out in a hurry, like she is trying to get away from whatever is hurting her hind quarters.

I agree with low dose asprin to take the edge off, but if still having trouble in the morning I would not wait to take her to the vet.

Poor baby, I hope it is just a strain. :-*

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 04:42:31 pm »
Poor Kate  :( I hope she will be fine tomorrow  :-*
Something similar happen to my newf...One morning he couldn't get up from sitting  :-\ I waited for an hour that gave him a nice massage and left for a couple of hours. When I got back home he was fine and walking  :) It must have been a nerve pinched or something like that  ;)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 04:43:04 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 05:00:36 pm »
I might suggest the displaced knee to the vet next time.  Grace has the shaking a little, but still runs and plays.   She just runs differently lately.  The vet would have noticed a displaced knee though.  I'm still trying to convince him there's something wrong with her left leg, but it's a tough sell.
Does Kate hold her leg in the air and refuse to put weight on it?   that's a sure sign of an ACL tear.  If she's putting weight on it and not just toe touching, then it would be something else. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 05:01:52 pm by Lin »

k2campbell

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 05:28:16 pm »
Does Kate hold her leg in the air and refuse to put weight on it?   that's a sure sign of an ACL tear.  If she's putting weight on it and not just toe touching, then it would be something else. 

No, she's putting weight on her leg and her head is actually down when she walks...like she's ashamed or something... My poor girl! :'(

Thanks everyone... She is still shaking just as much BUT now she's laid down twice without whining (but once she's down) is very tense and not relaxed. I can move the leg a bit more now...but she is still quite stiff with it. Also Eric pressed on her abdomen area when she was standing and when he got to the inside of her left hind leg she whined...AND.. .we don't have any Aspirin here...what else could we possibly give her until the morning? We have Tylenol, Advil and I think that's it for pain meds... :-\ I will be buying a bottle of Aspirin tomorrow though should something like this come up again...

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 05:47:55 pm »
When we took titan to the chiropractors, he discussed dogs who walk with their heads down...the thing is, in normal dogs, they walk with their heads down to maintain balence, if their head somewhat bobbles, up and down when they walk, there is a comprimise in the lumbar region of the back...the nerve between the two hip bones on top of the back (they actually are not the hip bones right their..i think it is the lillium??? or something like that) i truely don't know..but my chiro said it could be a back nerve issue, that could cause all of that stuff.

k2campbell

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 06:23:22 pm »
Think I'm crazy...but the weirdest thing happened. I finally got Blake to bed (Eric had to go play hockey tonight) so I just sat on the floor with Kate for a good 45 minutes. Gave her a massage (which she enjoyed) but she was still shaking in her hind end. Then all of a sudden she let out the BIGGEST, HUMAN belch! ::) Shaking stopped IMMEDIATELY!  ??? She grunted, then rolled over onto her back... :-\ Then I rubbed her tummy for a while...I had to go to the bathroom and came back...she had gotten up...was standing there arched (uncomfortable) and panting again...WTH???  ???

I went and got her dog bed from upstairs...she's resting on it now...the shaking is minimal...I'm so confused...goi ng to be a sleepless night but I'm just praying she'll be ok in the morning...

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 08:24:33 pm »
awwwww poor thing.... hope our Kate is feeling better in the morning! Sending tons of hugs and healing vibes!

As for what to give her...

NO Tylenol (it is toxic in dogs)
Have any baby aspirin in the house?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 08:26:16 pm by EllieAndBlu »

Icerotti

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 01:22:04 am »
Oh poor Kate! How is she today? Sending her healing thoughts. :-*

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 01:55:44 am »
I'm wondering how Kate's doing this morning too.  I'm so sorry you're having to go through this- pretty scary! Please let us know what the vet says today.  Big hugs to you both....

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 01:56:30 am »
How is Kate this morning.... Sending good and healing thoughts your way! Hoping for a speedy recovery.
Lots of Love XOXO Adrienne & Titan