Siberian Huskies > Siberian Husky Discussions

My Husky-any advice?

<< < (5/5)

irinad83:
Ok, so I went shopping for new food-because he's a butt lol(oh and yes he is drinking good-its hot now, so he's drinking ALOT!)
I went to the Organic store we have here and bought some food, as soon as I brought it in the house he went crazy-sniffing it-trying to open the bag etc, he even did tricks to get it! I know its new food and thats why he's probably doing it, but hey worth a try-this is the last time I'm trying new food! I swear :)
He is so funny though-I mixed the new food with the old so he wouldnt get a tummy ache, and I went upstairs just for maybe 2 minutes, when I came back down the bowl was up-side down all the food on the floor, and Koa was separating the new food from the old-he would spit out the old food if he got any in his mouth-and he didnt do it quietly-he would make a scene! Huffing and Puffin everytime he would get a piece of old food near him! Arrrrg!
Well for now he's happy and full...
We are thinking about getting a 2nd husky-maybe that will help-encourage him to eat more, cuz he eats when other dogs around him are eating
Well thank you guys sooo much for your help-sure took the worries away!
Oh and he might go to see his friends at the sitters :) - another thing that our sitter does thats awesome-she sends us pictures through out the day of the kids playing :) how cool is that!

siberescuegirl:
Huskies are VERY smart, to the point where they can be manipulative. They can even train their owners to put all kinds of goodies in their food in order to get them to eat. Be careful though, Huskies are finicky eaters, but they can have sensitive stomachs. Also, once they figure out that if they hold off on eating you'll tempt them with all kinds of treats, they'll just keep up the routine. Also, Huskies are pretty "fuel efficient" - if they're not getting much excersize, they may not be very hungry.

Granted, I'm no longer a fan of commercial dog foods. My Husky can't digest grains and he can't handle beef, so now he gets raw chicken, and we found a holistic vet who will help us find out what other foods he can handle.  But the raw diet is a really good way to go, and once you find a good supplier that sells in bulk, it's usually cheaper than feeding premium dog kibble.

Check out this link about the Husky's appetite and eating habits: http://www.siberescue.com/Breed_Info/BDiet.html

siberescuegirl:
Yeah...most Huskies have something that they don't like and turn their noses up at. When my dog still got commercial food and treats, he was extremely picky about treats.  Someone from the rescue we work with gave us a box of Trader Joe's All Natural Peanut Butter Treats, which he LOVED. Well, we don't live near a Trader Joe's, but we live near a Whole Foods Market. Silly me, I figured that the all natural peanut butter treats from this store would be just as good. Indy did not agree. He sniffed the treat, then turned his face away, and looked at me as if to say "This is not the same treat, I am not fooled. This is not up to my standards." then walked away.

I gave them to my boss, whose Lab will eat anything.

In August we took a dog out of shelter and took him to the vet before taking him to his long term foster home. He was a Rottie/Husky mix. He looked mostly like a Husky, except that his head was shaped like a Rottie's and his tail wasn't very fluffy. He was really underweight and had been very neglected. The vet tech tried to get him to eat a treat, and he sniffed it and turned his nose up. I laughed and said "Yup, he's a Husky."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version