Author Topic: A bump on the Stub Update  (Read 8880 times)

lins_saving_grace

A bump on the Stub Update
« on: November 24, 2008, 05:09:00 pm »
To add insult to injury, I found a big ole bump on the end of Grace's stub.  She gets a little po'ed when i move the hair to look at it.  I tried to squeeze it in case it was one of those blood blisters and no doing. 
Could this be cancer?  maybe it has somthing to do with her leg being sore?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 12:54:40 pm by Lin »

lins_saving_grace

Re: A bump on the Stub Update
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 12:55:57 pm »
So the bump on the butt is just scar tissue from the cropping.  they will do a biopsy just in case. 
Grace got really mad when the vet looked at it and poked it today.  She punched him with her nose.  I thought she bit him, but it was just a warning poke. 

Viking Lady

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 01:05:35 pm »
I'm glad to hear good stub news. I have never had a dog that had anything altered, or whatever you call it, except out little min pin, whose tail was cut before we got him. We didn't have his ears cropped......t hey were so cute floppy. But what is the reason for the cropping?

Just curious.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 01:09:02 pm »
it's a breed standard i guess.  I asked the vet why the scar tissue is developing at Grace's age.  her tail was cropped almost 4 years ago.  he said it happens and rotties are known for tumors and of course the lovely orthopedic issues.   I don't think it'll shorten her stub to snip the tumor off.  It's short enough.
I'm not fond of cropping ears either.  dobbies and pinchers look good with cropped ears...i'm not sure i'd want to go through the tape and placement of it all.  I'm not fond of a rott with a tail either.  i like the stubby.

Viking Lady

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 01:17:56 pm »
My sister had a lab mix with a long tail. He could clear off a coffee table with one wag!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 01:21:01 pm »
probably an upside to docking tails.  :)

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 01:45:24 pm »
My sister had a lab mix with a long tail. He could clear off a coffee table with one wag!

Berkely was our rescued Rottie/Lab mix.  For whatever reason, he never got is tail docked.  So, he ended up with a footlong really thick tail, that we affectionally called "The Club."  That thing was deadly!!! 

Viking Lady

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 04:53:48 pm »
I thought I read on here somewhere that someone's dog actually injured his tail by hitting it on things. That's what made me wonder if it was for practical reasons or looks or what.

I know this isn't orthapedic but the young guy that gave Luke his bath today said something about Pyrs, or I guess big digs, lying around on cement getting big bumps on their elbows. Luke doesn't have it but he said it was good that he has a big cushion to lie on. He just wanted me to be aware of it and watch for it later in years. The Dr. was treating another Pyr for it.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 11:56:18 am »
Grace has a rough spot on her elbow...not a bump, but a spot.  it looks like a skid mark really.  I've seen smaller dogs with those too.

Icerotti

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 11:59:32 am »
I'm a rotti stump lover too. Not a fan of tails on Weims, Vizsla or Rottis...lol

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 01:10:56 pm »
Razor had a case of happy tail when he came here.  Happy tail is where they bust open the tail from banging it into stuff and have an open wound.  It took forever for it to heal up.

I love the docked look of a Rotti but I also love the undocked Rotti.  Of course, I just love a Rotti.  But I do want a male Rotti with his tail at some point.  I assume docking and clipping ears are just aesthetics.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 01:25:31 pm »
it's a breed standard.  I've seen a lot of rotts with tails lately.  i think it's a new trend.  but at the same time, i'd rather have the weapon removed from the butt before it knocks everything over.  i can see Grace wacking things left and right just because she can...if she had a tail. 
I used to use Lady's stub as a handle since she had a longer stub.  Grace's is just a tiny handle, but I can still get a handful and get her attention with it.  and then it just wiggles and I crack up.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 01:34:30 pm »
Yeah, I know they turn them into breed standards but you know someone was sitting at home playing with their dogs ears and holding them up and said "Dang that looks good"!  Or am I the only lunatic that holds Shiners ears up and threaten to clothes pin them up.   :D
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Icerotti

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 01:39:35 pm »
Many of the European countries have got away from docking tails. Many of the imports are now arriving with tails. Not that I have been looking at rotti pups online or anything..lol ;) ;) ;)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 01:47:25 pm »
Many of the European countries have got away from docking tails. Many of the imports are now arriving with tails. Not that I have been looking at rotti pups online or anything..lol ;) ;) ;)

LOL.  i got an email from Grace's breeder.  Grace's sister may be pregnant. she will find out friday.  Makes you want a puppy again.