Author Topic: Elevated Kidney levels  (Read 14329 times)

lins_saving_grace

Elevated Kidney levels
« on: November 26, 2008, 12:10:07 pm »
So Dr. Hottie just called me.  :)  He did Grace's blood work for the pre op and found some elevated levels in the kidneys.  He said they aren't so high that they are dangerous or worrisome, but he wants a pee sample friday.  It may be from a high protein level or just a rush in the system of sorts.  He told me not to worry, but you know i might.
He said not to worry and laughed when i told him she's gotten "a few table scraps".  You know how hard it is not to worry?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 12:36:55 pm by Lin »

lins_saving_grace

Re: Elevated Kidney levels
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 12:37:39 pm »
So Dr. Hottie just called me.  :)  He did Grace's blood work for the pre op and found some elevated levels in the kidneys.  He said they aren't so high that they are dangerous or worrisome, but he wants a pee sample friday.  It may be from a high protein level or just a rush in the system of sorts.  He told me not to worry, but you know i might.
He said not to worry and laughed when i told him she's gotten "a few table scraps".  He also said that whatever it is we're catching so early.  You know how hard it is not to worry?

Icerotti

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 12:51:59 pm »
Keeping our fingers and paws crossed for Grace   :-* :-*

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 12:54:15 pm »
Try not to worry.  I know it's really hard.  Keeping fingers crossed that everything is ok so she can have surgery.  Big hugs to both of you.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 01:00:04 pm »
i'm sure it's nothing.  she did have some pizza the night before the blood work.  he said the levels aren't that high... .1 on one level and 22 points high on the other.

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 01:52:55 pm »
None of the table scraps had Raisins did they? Because that would elevate the levels :-\

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 01:53:30 pm »
None of the table scraps had Raisins did they? Because that would elevate the levels :-\
NO...we hate raisins.

OK...i'm getting worried.  God can't have my dog...not yet.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 01:54:07 pm by Lin »

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 03:37:11 am »
Dont worry! Seriously Titan had elevated kidney levels for about 6 months. It was simple as us changing his food. He was suffering with some major allergies and with that came loose stool. So our Vet indicated that the kidney and liver levels can be high if his output is not good. We did blood work every 3 months to watch and after his allergy/food problem was on track and his stool was good his levels were back down to normal.
Also is Grace drinking a lot of water....Dr.B said to watch for that as well it "could" be kidney infection. Titan can drink bucketts in a day so I could not really tell. But the blood work came back fine...not to worry....
Big hugs and kisses  :-*  :-*

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 03:43:27 am »
she doesn't drink buckets of water.  normal levels.  I have noticed a looser stool than normal lately.  I thought it might be stress from the leg pain. 
I feel a lot better after you telling me that.  She's not showing any symptoms of kidney issues, so Dr. Hottie said that was good.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 09:59:44 am »
she is on her last bit of fit n trim.  i'll ask Dr. Hottie tomorrow what food he recommends.
Bad News....he's been married for 15 years and has 3 kids.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 01:34:47 pm »
she is on her last bit of fit n trim.  i'll ask Dr. Hottie tomorrow what food he recommends.
Lin, your vet would NOT know what food is the best for your dog...only you can see the changes and improvements from certain type of food. Fit'N'Trim obviously is not working though  :-\ Not a surprise, look at the ingredients

Ground yellow corn, soybean meal, ground wheat, soybean hulls*, corn gluten feed, corn gluten meal, turkey by-product meal, animal digest, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of vitamin E), beef and bone meal, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, salt, l-lysine monohydrochlor ide, vitamin supplements (A, E, B12, D3), choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, manganese sulfate, added color (red #40), calcium pantothenate, brewers dried yeast, riboflavin supplement, biotin, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamin mononitrate, copper sulfate, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite.

There is no MEAT in it...AT ALL!!!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 01:52:49 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 02:09:53 pm »
i'll look around and get some other opinions.  The vet told me to hold off on the food change for now though since there's the surgory comping up.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 04:27:48 pm »
she is on her last bit of fit n trim. 
That last bit lasted waaaaaaaaaay too long while other issues keep pooping up,eh? (Canadians! LOL)
Mary W. Crane

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 04:51:02 pm »
That last bit lasted waaaaaaaaaay too long while other issues keep pooping up,eh? (Canadians! LOL)
yes it is.  I'm online looking for a new brand right now.  iams has a weight control food with meat product ingredients but it has corn grits in it.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 04:54:39 pm »
yes it is.  I'm online looking for a new brand right now.  iams has a weight control food with meat product ingredients but it has corn grits in it.
Lin, you really don't need a weight control formula. You just need to feed her less quantity  ;)
Mary W. Crane