Author Topic: Grace update  (Read 13882 times)

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Grace update
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 03:26:16 am »
So very happy Grace is doing well. I hope she recovers quickly too!
Give her big hugs and kisses for a speady recovery.  :-*  :-*

Lyn

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2008, 03:56:14 am »
Hmmm, I'm not having an easy time finding low phosphorus dog foods. :-\ I'm only finding junk filled vet diets. Most seem to be home cooking for their dogs.

If home cooking for Grace is an option Lin.. ask your vet for a recipe since he knows her blood work numbers he would be the best one to give you a diet plan. Even if it's a temporary one until her numbers are back to normal. Then you can put her on a quality kibble afterwards. 

Lyn

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 06:08:30 am »
I was just assuming the vet wanted Grace on a low phosphorus food to get her blood values back to normal? Not as a long term diet since Lin said he thinks it's dietary.

I definitely agree though Grace needs to get off the fit and trim regardless.. For one it's loaded with junk and 2 it IS high in phosphorus according to a chart I found. Surely it's not helping matters.

Personally I think she'd be best off with a grain free kibble..

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 07:09:26 am »
Boy Miss Grace has had a rough year! Heres to a quick heal!
Love Bryce and Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

jesday

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 07:46:47 am »
I don't think anyone should make a statement prefaced by "if you love your dog". That's very unkind.
What's unkind is to see your dog having ear infections, raised kidney levels, going through multiple surgeries and ignore all the advise people have been given for YEARS now  :-X

Wow Lin, are you ever getting beaten up! I kind of thought the purpose of BPO was to offer helpful suggestions and share mutual love of our bubs. Not chastise its members.

Most of us are not suggesting you do not love your Gracey girl. And the food issue goes on and on. Most of us want to trust our vets as knowing what to do for our bubs. And let's face it. Dogs have and will continue to thrive on all kinds of food sources. There are herders in Whales who feed there working dogs whatever the people eat that night and the dogs are quite healthy.

That being said. Yes, health issues can be attributed to food quality in some dogs. So IMO it is better to be safe than sorry by feeding a quality food to begin with. However once health problems occur it can be very difficult to find out which component is the culprit. I had a dog with severe protein allergies. He was on quality food and we had to keep trying different kinds to finally find out he could only tolerate venison. All other proteins, chicken, beef, duck, salmon he reacted to.

It is a pain, but you may need to try several starting with Holly's list to find what works best for Grace.

But please be assured we know how much you love Grace. Here are some much needed hugs and kisses to tide you over while you figure this out. :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 07:57:14 am »
i have shown 2 vets over the last several months Holly's food disertation.  The dog nazi recommended Fit N Trim and Dr. Banks is h*ll bent on this Hills perscription for the kidney sensitive JUST until we can narrow down what the problem is.  We're all hoping it's dietary.  she gets no table food from now on and we'll recheck the kidney levels in 2 weeks.  I haven't ignored advise.  In fact, i've beaten up a few vets with food concerns.
I'm sorry if i've offended anyone...but i have gone to bat for Grace a lot.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 08:07:29 am »
it would be nice to see this not be an issue.  We got on the fit n trim because she was gaining weight and this was the path the other vet and i chose to take.  there's a reason I've been looking for a new vet for so long and the food thing is one of them.   He didn't knock the Purina, but he also said it wasn't his choice in not so many words.   
we'll see what happens.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2008, 08:17:40 am »
with every ear infection I told the vet that it had to be the food...with every other thing i told him the same thing.  It could also be the people food she gets.