Author Topic: Lock Jaw in Dogs.  (Read 15703 times)

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Lock Jaw in Dogs.
« on: December 06, 2008, 03:36:50 pm »
My Saint, Decker, has a problem with his mouth. He can not open his mouth more than 1 1/2 inches. It just will not open. When he tries to yawn he just turns his head down and to the side and chatters his mouth. I took him today for x-rays and they all look normal. Hes got no lumps or infections anywhere. The vet even tried prying his jaw open while he was asleep and it would not go more than an inch and a half. Has anyone ever had this? He is not chewing his food at all, just swallowing it whole. The trip to the vet today cost 350 bucks and I am no closer to having an answer for him at all.

Thanks!!
When the last fish has been caught and the last tree has been cut down...Only then will man realize that he cannot eat money.

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Lock Jaw in Dogs.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 03:52:10 pm »
I looked up tetanus, and i don't think this is it...its been going on now for about 3 weeks. Nothing else is stiff on him. I even let him sleep with me at night in case he starts shaking....hmm m
When the last fish has been caught and the last tree has been cut down...Only then will man realize that he cannot eat money.

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 09:12:12 pm »
Thank you so much for the info!

I am going to go in and see the vet on Monday. She is new (Oct 1st she became a doctor) so maybe this isnt something she has seen before, but it sounds just like what my baby has. She was talking about puttin him on prednisone but wanted to hold off. She gave him enough metacam for a week, but I knew that was not going to do anything. He doesnt respond well to metacam at all. He has a softball sized fluid sack on one elbow and a gold ball sized calcium growth on the other, and he has been put on metacam before with no results. I am really becoming fed up with the clinic I take my dogs to, but we live in a small town and theres only 2 others...one of them is not taking new patients and the other one is a big, big jerkface! Grrr!!

Are these prednisone pills expensive? He is such a big boy (145ish) that he will probably need a high dose.  This has only been going on for about 3 weeks now, so hopefully we caught it early enough that his recovery will not be too long or hard :)
Thank you for the help tho, it gives me a starting point to Im sure what is going to be many many hours of research on the net.

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 03:49:31 am »
I know in mastiffs,if they can only open the mouth 1'2 inches it is because of a cleft pallett.  They were actually just talking about this on another forum.

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 08:06:11 am »
SO I can get this drug at a people pharmacy? Thats awesome! Cause I know the mark up that my vet charges me is INSANE. I am becoming quite fed up with them. I mean 350 bucks yesterday and I come home and find my own answer on the internet? Oh and lets not forget the time that Mack had mange and it was over 600 bucks to find out what that was (allergy testing, taking him off his food, ect) Oh and the time they both had kennel cough. That was another 400 bucks before they found out what it was. I am not impressed, but what do I do? I live in a small town and the vet I go to is actually the best out of the 4 we have. One of the other ones told me to put Mack down cause his hips are so bad (hes fine) the other told me Deckers mouth couldnt open cause hes got a puncture wound. And the last one (who I hear is really awesome with giants) is not taking new patients under any circumstances. So yeah, basically I'm screwed.

Oh and I just left along Deckers head, and yeah its sinking.   Do you think because it is still early that it wont take as long/be so severe to get his jaw going again? He can still lick his feet and stuff, but he cant chew. Ah my poor baby!!

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 09:46:35 am »
Thank you all so much. You have made me feel 10000 times better.  I am putting Deckers food through my blender to make it a dog-smoothie (thats love right there) I am going to call tomorrow and make an appointment at a vet in a bigger city, the vet my friend (who works at the clinic I go to) told me to call. She actually said there is no way in heck she would bring her dog to the vet she works at (nice eh) so I am going to try and get Decker in there. Hopefully I can. I am so fed up with all of this, it makes me so sad. Decker has gone from a happy, lovey puppy to a sad, sullen puppy in 3 weeks, its horrible....he just wants everyone to love him and he doesnt understand why he is in pain. breaks my heart.

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 08:40:29 pm »
Well.....

I was sitting at the computer tonight, after making Decker his dog food smoothie (gross) and trying to keep Mack from eating it (he wants "special" treatment too) I was just hanging out and I look over and Decker is chewing on a bone! I did a double take! Hes chewing!! So I gave him a cookie...and he chewed it right it!! OMG!!!! Did it fix it's self or what?! Whatever happened I am so happy right now I could bust!

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 10:18:00 pm »
Thanks!!

He is on the prednisone now, and it seems to be helping. It is making him eat like a beast!! Well more of a beast than usual. Also, he is drinking and peeing like a mad man. I left him (and Mack) alone for about 4 hours today and he peed 3 times in the house!! And he is 100% housebroken! I can usually leave them alone for about 5-6 hours before they have to go out for a pee break. I was looking at him good and hard the other day and hes got big time atrophy in his head, the poor guy. I'll post some pics so you can see for yourself...I can for sure see it!!

Before:

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 11:05:59 pm by Krystal_00 »

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 10:59:26 pm »
Heres some snaps of Decker I took minutes ago. I just got a new camera (today!) so I am not really that great at using it yet, so some of the pics are kinda junky and not in focus, but they get the point (of his head, hehe) across...

Hahaha, dont mind creepy Mack in the backround....h ahaha

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 05:23:10 am »
Glad he seems to be doing better.
Yeah the pred will make them drink and pee ALOT.  So pee pee accidents are pretty commen when on this drug.  :P

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 05:10:36 pm »
Thanks. He is still my "little man" hes just got a wonky head now LOL.  He is still the best puppy ever tho :)  He can pee all he wants, I just clean it up. Not a big deal. I have been staying home with him most days, but sometimes I gotta get outta the house hehehe. Drive me nuts!!

I am gonna go buy him lots of fun toys tomorrow, to get him more excited about chewing. I know he loves to chew, so thats a plus for sure!!