Author Topic: Bell has lost alot of weight fast!!!!  (Read 12679 times)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Bell has lost alot of weight fast!!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 12:05:56 am »
Keeping fingers and paws crossed for Bell!!  We will all be waiting to hear what the vet had to say.

Keeping you in our thoughts

Randy

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 03:01:10 am »
I hope everything turns out ok, and she doesn't have to go to Auburn.  Good thoughts and prayers going out to you.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 07:14:47 pm »
Anything????
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Viking Lady

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 03:29:49 pm »
How is Bell?

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Bell has lost alot of weight fast!!!! Update
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 03:31:17 pm »
ok well Bell has to go to Auburn.  She has cancer of her small intestine.  Almost 1/3 of her smal intestine is cancerous. :'( :'( :'( This is why she was losing so much weight.

She weighed 95lbs in October and now is at 68lbs. poor girl. We are tossing back and forth what to do.  She needs radiation treatments and surgery to remove the cancerous portion of intestine.  

My husband is worried.  We have a 5 month old baby and alot of bills.  But I told him that I want Payton to grow up learning that you do whatever you can to save your pet.  

He is also worried that we go through with everything and she dies anyways and is miserable and sick the whole time.  Does anyone have any advice I really need some.  

They gave her 6 months to 1 year with weight gain.  which will be very hard to do.  She is her same energetic self at 3 years old.  Do we jus tlet her live out her days happy and being loved evertday or do we try to make her better.  The vet wasnt sure of a prognosis becasue there have only been of known success rates but that doesnt mean their arent.  

Any advice I would like anything please!!!!  
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 03:35:51 pm »
Amber,
I am so sorry! I dont have any advice to offer.  Just know that you and your hubby and Bell are in my thoughts.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Viking Lady

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 03:41:36 pm »
Would you get any more prognosis from Auburn that would help you make a decision, or is that just for treatment? It is supposed to be such a good veterinary (?) school.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 03:58:41 pm by Viking Lady »

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2008, 01:57:31 am »
Amber, I am so sorry that you and Bell are in the midst of such a difficult decision right now.  It sounds like it may be almost impossible to make a decision right now, since it sounds like you need more information.  Make sure that someone else goes with you to Auburn- even tape record the conversation.  I find that when I'm sad/anxious when hearing medical news, it's hard for me to really take all the information in and process it completely. 

Big hugs to you.....We're here for you.   :'(

Modified to add:  You might want to look into Care Credit.  It's like a credit card for emergencies like this.  It can lend you no-interest credit for a year (as long as you pay off the balance in a year) with some reasonable payment options.  Good luck.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 01:59:14 am by IndyFurKiddos »

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2008, 02:15:40 am »
I can't express how sorry I am for you and your family... I know that whatever decision you make will be the right one. After weighing out all options you will do what is best for Bell in the end.
Sending tons of hugs and kisses your way...just know we are all here thinking about you!!  :-*  :-*

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2008, 02:29:15 am »
I am so sorry to hear such sad news  :'( :'( :'(
Poor baby, she is so young  :(
I don't have any advise as it should be your family's decision, a tough one  :(
We are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers, hun  :-*
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2008, 04:24:58 am »
Thank you so much everyone for your advice. All of it has been taken to heart.

The vet from Auburn called us today. He feels she has a 50/50 chance. If she does all the surgery and the chemo and does well than we are looking at maybe 5 more years with her. 

unfortunately he hasn't seen a lot of good outcomes from this type of cancer. But he did say that Bell is the youngest dog he has ever seen with this. so he said that could work in our favor.

we still have a lot to think about and discuss. today has just been a bad and very hard day.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2008, 04:51:27 am »
I, too, am so sorry you and Bell are going through this right now. I was so hoping her weight loss was something simple.

I do want to applaud you, though, for not rushing into a decision and weighing all the options, asking for advice and listening to those who have gone through similar situations. Bell deserves nothing less and you are teaching your daughter a very valuable lesson. Whatever happens, you will be able to tell Peyton how you struggled with your choice because Bell is such an important member of the family.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Bell.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

lookingfornewf

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2008, 04:54:23 am »
Sending hugs your way. There is no harder decision I have ever had to make. I"m glad you got more than one opinion and are well informed.

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2008, 02:05:24 am »
OK well we decided that we are doing the surgery and chemo.  Of course we had hoped for a better prognosis but we have to work with what we have and since she would have years of life left it could be will worth it.

And if the surgery doesnt work we will know that we did everything possible to help our first "daughter". We will then let her live out her days as a happy member of the family. 

I do want to thank everyone for being so wonderful and supportive through this hard time.  I asked my husband to read all of themto help with our descsion and he couldnt believe how supportive yall were to someone whom you have never even met. Just because we have something in common. The love for our dogs.

We also got approved for care credit yesterday so we can make payments on everything for Bell which does take a load off our shoulders.  Bell goes to Auburn for surgery on Monday and will come home and start chemo after probably a couple of days of recovery. 

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2008, 02:28:58 am »
I wish you and Bell (of course) all the best!! Sending qick healing and healing vibes to Bell and your family!
Plese do keep us posted of her recovery... I will be thinking of her on Monday!
Lots of love and kisses
Adrienne