Author Topic: Bah humbug!  (Read 2971 times)

Viking Lady

Bah humbug!
« on: December 12, 2008, 09:45:07 am »
After the break in (?) last weekend I secured the gate with a padlock. That feels alot better but is a pain in the neck.

I couldn't find the right size plank to replace on the fence. I guess it's a special size (whatever) since the fence is 20 years old.

Tuesday when I went out to sweep off the carport, amongst the little sticks that Luke always brings up there, I found a dead mouse. I thought it was weird because some of you had just been writing about your dogs bringing you gifts.. mice, birds, etc. So I thought it was a gift.

Wednesday I ran up to the store to get some milk and smelled gas the whole time I was driving. Came home and looked at the driveway to see if I could see signs of gas but it had been raining too much and I couldn't see anything. Yesterday Mom and I ran out to try to finish Christmas shopping for some things we need to mail to Arizona. I smelled gas again so we cut the shopping short and came home. We called the dealership and they said "Don't drive it, we'll come get it." They called today and said a mouse or small squirrel had chewed up something in and around the fuel line. It will cost $700 to fix it. Plus, they can't start until after the appraiser looks at it Monday.

Anybody going to the mall?

jesday

Re: Bah humbug!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 10:56:38 am »
Do you have Chipmonks? This exact thing happened to my neighbor. Okay, not exact thing. I don't think she was out of milk. But fuel lines chewed by the little critters. Apparently they think they found the mother-load of some delicious roots.

I've seen a few of the extremely cute rodents flitting in and out of our garage with huge cheeks stuffed with dog fur. I thought we were contributing to a warm and happy hibernation but my neighbor assures me they are nasty.

Do we need to add kitties to our menagerie?

Also, be warned if you have porcupines in your area. They love brake fluid and there's just about only one way for them to get it. Ahh, the joys of country living. ;)

Viking Lady

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 10:59:53 am »
Hah!
Well, the only good thing I can think of is Luke seems to have chased off a prowler. And he turned in the gas thief.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 11:07:38 am »
I heard of this happening when living in Ca, too.  But not the gas lines.  They go for the electrical wiring.  I never had this problem but I heard of it happening time and time again.

Viking Lady

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 11:10:37 am »
Do you have Chipmonks? This exact thing happened to my neighbor. Okay, not exact thing. I don't think she was out of milk. But fuel lines chewed by the little critters. Apparently they think they found the mother-load of some delicious roots.

I've seen a few of the extremely cute rodents flitting in and out of our garage with huge cheeks stuffed with dog fur. I thought we were contributing to a warm and happy hibernation but my neighbor assures me they are nasty.

Do we need to add kitties to our menagerie?

Also, be warned if you have porcupines in your area. They love brake fluid and there's just about only one way for them to get it. Ahh, the joys of country living. ;)
We do have chipmonks. I didn't look too closely when I scooped the little guy up. It made me sad. But that was before I knew he was a vandal.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 11:11:28 am by Viking Lady »

jesday

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 11:33:50 am »
As I mentioned, porcupines are bad too. If you drive anywhere around here to go camping at State Parks they post signs. WARNING!Check brake lines before leaving! And they have a picture of a porcupine on it. I'll have to see if I can find one. It's so funny! But not when descending from 4000ft on a curvy mountain road with no brakes! :o

Viking Lady

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 11:58:27 am »
You know, I think I remember seeing something like that but I didn't relate the two things. I don't know why critters would be attracted to such things. But down here in the winter they have reminders about putting anti freeze out of the reach of pets. I think cats are drawn to the scent.