Author Topic: Cleaning supplies poll.....  (Read 4673 times)

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
Cleaning supplies poll.....
« on: January 09, 2009, 03:01:51 pm »
The post asking about steam mops got me thinking - how many new and improved cleaning supplies have you tried just because of your big paws?

We've only been parents to the triplets for a couple of months and already:

We're tried every carpet cleaner out there (Spot Shot rules!).

We know which brand of carpet fresh works the best and is least irritating (actually it's good old Arm and Hammer Baking Soda).

We buy Wallflower plugins in bulk.

We've purchased two new vaccuums.  A Shark rechargeable for the tile and a Dyson Animal for the carpet.

A Swiffer duster to get the fur off the blinds and the ceiling fans.

Leet's not talk about all of the grooming supplies we've purchased to keep the kids fresh and clean too!
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning supplies poll.....
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 03:58:43 pm »
I'm going to be little help on this one.  I pulled up all my carpet and am putting tile down for the pets.  I really want a dyson though.  I did buy some extension pole dusters to get the cat and dog fur that sticks up on the ceiling and at the top of the walls.  I also bought a couple of rubber brooms at the dog show that have a squeegee on one side of the broom.  You can sweep and scrub the floors with water and then squeegee the water up with this broom. 

Mostly I just change cleaners to try new stuff.  I mainly still use bleach but you can't put that in the floormate.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Viking Lady

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 04:15:19 pm »
Well, let's see.....

I tried Green Works spray cleaner for the muddy paw prints on the back door. It worked pretty well but I still had to use Comet and hot water to get the mud out of the claw marks that scraped the paint off the door.

I used a Bissell shampoo in my Bissell steam cleaner that was for carpets with dogs. It did a pretty good job except for the red paint that he squeezed from my acrylic paint bottle. For that I used OxyClean carpet cleaner. It is just barely a pink circle now.

These aren't for cleaning, but early on I purchased sheet rock mud and wood putty for the walls and baseboards he ate.

I am currently looking for something to glue the corner of a glass end table down here in the den. The table is older than I am and I had to hide it from Mom, so I turned the table around and slapped some super glue on it. It doesn't look like it's gonna hold. Loki knocked the lamp over trying to look out the window and it hit the corner of the table.

Other than that, I don't do alot of cleaning.

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 04:25:28 pm »
So I can count the film I bought to cover the bottom half of the glass back door?   ;D

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 05:03:13 pm »
I don't use swiffer any more because of this article:

Recently someone had to have their 5-year old German Shepherd dog put down due to liver failure. The dog was completely healthy until a few weeks ago, so they had a necropsy done to see what the cause was. The liver levels were unbelievable, as if the dog had ingested poison of some kind. The dog is kept inside, and when he's outside, someone's with him, so the idea of him getting into something unknown was hard to believe.

My neighbor started going through all the items in the house. When he got to the Swiffer Wetjet, he noticed, in very tiny print, a warning which stated 'may be harmful to small children and animals.' He called the company to ask what the contents of the cleaning agent are and was astounded to find out that antifreeze is one of the ingredients (actually, he was told it's a
compound which is one molecule away from antifreeze). Therefore , just by the dog walking on the floor cleaned with the solution, then lickin g its own paws, it ingested enough of the solution to destroy its liver.

Soon after his dog's death, his housekeepers' two cats also died of liver failure. They both used the Swiffer Wetjet for quick cleanups on their floors. Necropsies weren't done on the cats, so they couldn't file a lawsuit, but he asked that we spread the word to as many people as possible so they don't lose
their animals.

This is equally harmful to babies and small children that play on the floor a lot and put their fingers in their mouths a lot.

PLEASE, EVEN IF YOU DO NOT HAVE BABIES, SMALL CHILDREN OR OWN A PET;
PLEASE FORWARD THIS ON! YOU MAY NOT HAVE ANY CHILDREN OR PETS BUT SOME OF YOU
HAVE FRIENDS OR FAMILY WITH PETS AND ALSO FAMILIES WITH GRANDCHILDREN AND GREAT
GRANDCHILDREN

I try and use anything that is natural and does not have a sent Bryce is very allergic to cleaners and detergents.

Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

lookingfornewf

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 05:57:38 pm »
Magic erasers work well to get slobber off of walls. Spot shot for carpet stains. We have hand towels all over the house just to wipe the drool. We chose brown carpet and brown tile when we got new flooring throughout the house this year. One of the big reasons for brown, it won't show all the muddy paw prints, hair and other dog mess.
I need a new vacuum and wanted to get a dyson Animal, but I have been reading lately that it can void the warranty on new carpet. I waited eight years since we moved in to get rid of the horribly ugly pink carpeting the house came with and just spent thousands of dollars on new carpeting so don't want to do anything to void the warranty. If not a dyson what is my next best choice for vacuums?

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 01:50:57 am »
So I can count the film I bought to cover the bottom half of the glass back door?   ;D

Hey!  Where did you buy that?????

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 02:14:03 am »

Hey!  Where did you buy that?????

We bought it on ebay but I bet you could do an online search for self adhesive window film and find other places.  It's totally saving my glass from scratch marks and dog damage.  Plus it's cheap and easy to replace when they wear this piece out.

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 02:47:41 am »

We've purchased two new vaccuums.  A Shark rechargeable for the tile and a Dyson Animal for the carpet.

How does the Shark rechargeable vacuum work?  We pulled up our carpet and have wood laminent.  We had a rechargeable but it died after only a few months - would be interested in trying a different one?

We are pretty much natures miracle, windex and the dreaded amonia family.

Randy

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 04:00:38 am »
Randy - we haven't had it long but so far we love it.  It has enough suction to do the area rugs as well as the tile and it's lightweight enough to use on the stairs. 

Offline kpost

• Gnawer
  • My Boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 06:34:51 am »
Magic erasers are a must as well as drool rags. Other then that cleaning up after them is easier then the hubby and kids.
~Kim
Mother of 2 young girls ages 5 & 8
Wife of 1 great man
A dog lover but I am biased towards Mastiffs
6 yr. old male brindle Mastiff Rescue named Beau (my Velcro dog)
< 1 yr. Old Male Fawn Mastiff Named Sanuk
10 year old chihuahua named Zoomer
1 yr old Blue fronted Amazon named Kitty

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 06:53:46 am »
We mostly use the steam mop with water, and for icky messes it's usually vinigar and water.  :)  Very rarely do we use chemicles.  ;)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!