Siberian Huskies > Siberian Husky Discussions

Nanook Just Had Surgery

<< < (2/2)

pndlake:
Thanks DakotaMOM I really like the looks of that new collar compared to the horrible cone that knocks everybody senseless including the dog.  That is a good invention and I will bet we see more of it if it works.

Peggy

newflvr:
The e-collar is just so hard for so many dogs.  When my Newfs had surgery, (hip replacement for one and two ACL's for the other) I kept them with me all the time so if they tried to get to the wound, I could stop him/her.  Even at night, I could hear if they shifted around to get to the "owwie" and just scratch his/her head until he/she went back to sleep.  As soon as the wound closed up, it didn't seem to be as much of issue.  The no-bite collar also works well, I think.

siberescuegirl:
It is very important to keep him from licking the wound, otherwise it could become infected or develop into a granuloma lesion, which is nasty. I did a Google search for alternatives to e-collars and found this: http://www.funstufffordogs.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1132167446

It may be easier on him, or you could try trimming the e-collar a little shorter. You could also try making an e-collar out of clear material that he can see through, this site has instructions for making an e-collar: http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/elizabethan.htm

The important thing is not to fuss over him too much with the e-collar on, just act like everything is normal. If you have a GNC or organic market nearby, they sell Rescue Remedy, which is safe to give to animals and can help to relax them. I gave it to my dog when he had an allergic reaction and I was really upset, becuase it was important to keep him calm. Many vets suggest it for dogs who are afraid to go to the vet.

Best of luck, I hope it's not cancerous!

LuvmyMal:
we will keep her in our thoughts and prayers.
Lots of malakisses from tonka and nala

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version