Author Topic: Finally did the switch from regular Orijen to the 6 fish  (Read 6337 times)

Lyn

Finally did the switch from regular Orijen to the 6 fish
« on: December 17, 2008, 03:45:02 am »
and... Bubba hates it. :( I figured he was going to snub it, He's not a huge fan of fishy foods. So in order to get him to eat it, I have to mix in a spoonfull of canned food but Lola loves it. Then again she'll eat anything. LOL

First thing I noticed immediately was the huge reduction in gas! YAY! On the regular Orijen adult they were litterally waking me up in the middle of the night from the horrid smell. :D

*crossing my fingers this food helps with Lola's potential protein allergy*

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Finally did the switch from regular Orijen to the 6 fish
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 04:41:19 am »
Titan has been on this food for about 3 weeks and he likes it...only with something mixed in!! Cheese in the morning adn a spoon full of wet at night!?! Dogs...they are never pleased!!
I can say I do like the "output" and we have not had and runny output since he started!
Overall I am pleased; with his sensitivites to food I am pleased he is
1) Eating it and
2) Having good poops and
3) He seams to have more energy and be happier!

Good Luck!!

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 05:16:53 am »
I mainly did the switch this time for Lola. Her ears are constantly filling up with dark wax/gunk. I've had her to the vet numerous times and no infection or parasites were present. I've tried all types of ear washes with no improvement.

Since she's only ever been on chicken/turkey based foods I'm wondering if it's a protein intolerance? There is no grain in Orijen. So the fish based kibble is kind of my last attempt at clearing up her ears. If not when she goes in for her spay my vet is going to be giving her a good ear flush and hopefully can figure out what the issue is once he get's a good look in there.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 05:17:19 am by Lyn »

AudgePadge

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 06:20:39 am »
*fingers crossed* Good luck! less gas is always a good thing!

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 07:51:48 am »
The 6 fish by Origen is awesome food.  Naja has been eating it for a few months now, and is doing fabulously.  You're also going to notice Bubba and Lolas fur get softer, and their poops will be smaller and more firm, at least that's what happened with Miss Naja.  Good luck!
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 12:12:32 pm »
Oh i miss the Orijen!!  Fumble used to be on the 6 fish before we tried the home cooked food...  he LOVED the food.  although, he sounds a little like your lola, he'll eat ANYTHING.  To me, the 6 fish seemed like one of the better foods out there because of the no grains and natural ingredients.  They claim that they actually catch their own fish.  now i don't know about all that!  but it sounded nice!  lol! 

GOOD LUCK!  No one likes a smelly butt!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 04:17:52 am »
We are now on the second mid sized bag and so far so good. Minimal gas and normal poops. I'll probably need to give it 4-6 weeks to see if it helps Lola's ears though.

Bubba still won't eat it without canned food mixed in but I don't mind.  ;) I did discover he really doesn't like Buffalo either though. I bought a can of Merrick before grain 100% buffalo mainly so Lola could have something that's not chicken/turkey. Bubba was appalled. LMAO

I honestly haven't noticed any changes in their coat yet, but they have been on regular Orijen for over a year, probably closer to 2. They have good coats now but some extra softness would be nice. :D

« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 04:20:02 am by Lyn »