Author Topic: Lump on Sammy's leg  (Read 6760 times)

Offline dogandcat_mom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Lump on Sammy's leg
« on: December 17, 2008, 04:32:46 pm »
About two weeks ago I noticed that Samantha, my germanshephed boxer mix had a small lump on her front elbow. Then the lump was no more than the size of maybe the top of a thumb tack or maybe a dime. I have been watching it and checking it everyday, yesterday I noticed the lump was now the size of a quarter, there's no hair left on the area and its very red. Because I am in school and it is finals week, i can't get to the vet until Sat. I'm worried that this may be something bad but i keep telling myself it is probably nothing. Any suggestions as to what it could be? Please help!!
dusty-dawnn

Viking Lady

Re: Lump on Sammy's leg
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 04:48:01 pm »
I am not knowledgable enough to say anything. I wanted to mention two things only because of experience with my pyr. Luke had a tumor on his chest, that I thought at first was a nipple. But it started growing and I realized it really wasn't in the right place. (duh)He lost hair on it but it seems to itch or bother him so I think he chewed at his hair. It grew pretty fast and it was removed, checked, and it was benign.

The second thing is that the guy that bathed him at the vet told me to watch for, I think he called it a lump, on elbows because of the way they lie down on hard surfaces. If I'm not mistaken, there would be fluid involved. He just said it happens in big dogs and just to watch his elbows.

I hope I haven't misled you. Concentrate on finals since it's only two more days, and then have it looked at. Good luck with both.

Viking Lady

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 04:52:21 pm »
ooops! I guess we were writing the same thing at the same time.

Offline dogandcat_mom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 05:01:19 pm »
Thanks. To both of you.  I thought about the pressure soar however, the lump is on her elbo, but in the bend on the front, not where she lays on it. I'm thinking that it could be a splinter, maybe, from her jumping my wooden picket fence. I've put heat on it and cleaned it. I'm an EMT so i've done basic first aid in trying to not let it get worse. Maybe if i can get her into the vet friday after noon, after my last final before i have to be at work, if not i'll have to wait until sat.
Just worries me. Three months ago, i found out not too use over the counter flea medication. That was a real ordeal, almost lost both of my babies. But this seems minor compared.
dusty-dawnn

Viking Lady

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 05:18:41 pm »
What's up with the over the counter flea meds?

Offline dogandcat_mom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 05:30:14 pm »
Refer to post here "warning about Sergeants gold"
It poisioned not only my two dogs but several others. Bottom line, just don't use it. My dogs had treamors, vomiting,hyper salavation, while others have died.
dusty-dawnn