Author Topic: Vicious Dogs.........Ha yeah right  (Read 8079 times)

Offline RottnPeytonsMom

• Gnawer
  • Peyton
    • View Profile
Vicious Dogs.........Ha yeah right
« on: April 08, 2005, 01:25:46 am »
Just wanted to know how many of the other rottie owners here have noticed how Vicious the breed is (note the sarcasm).
Peyton lives with my boyfriends springer spaniel lab mix. He is a year old and she is 6 months old. When he barks, she hides behind the recliner and peaks out every so often as if to ask if the coast is clear for her to come out. I have a bird feeder that hangs just outside my front windows and when the shades are open and there are birds at the feeder. she hides behind the recliner.
I took her to meet the soon to be new addition to our house, a yorkie min pin pup (2 and a half pounds of puppy) and she was scared of it.

Killer dog huh?? Good thing I wasn't looking for personal protection.
Please dont forget me, for if I thought you would I would never leave-Christopher Robin

GR8DAME

Re: Vicious Dogs.........Ha yeah right
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 07:26:59 am »
I used to thinkthe same way you do about my dobermans. They were total wussies, I could have anyone over, they never so much as growled at a human being, babies could crawl all over them. Then my son, 10 yo at the time was playing outside in the front of the house when my nieghbor's 17 yo jerk of a son came over and started yelling at him about making noise and playing ball near his car parked on the street. (Kid is a jerk,7 years later is currently a guest at Joliet state prison for assault and drug charges) I thought jerk was going to hit him, he was standing over him, screaming, hands flying around. Before I could even get the front door open to intervene, Rambo, my 5 yo dobe took a flying leap through the window and got between them. 95 pounds of snarling, snapping bleeding dog backed the aggresser off until the police got there and removed the gentleman. There were no charges filed against the jerk or my dog (dog never bit, just intimidated him to back off), because it seemed a better idea to just let bygones be bygones. But the little felon never so much as walked past my house if he could help it after that. If he did, he was the one human that Rambo would growl at and show teeth to. By the way, it took two hours and 106 stitches to remove all the glass slivers and close up all the cuts on Ram.
Don't underestamate what your dog will do for those he loves.
Stella

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 09:12:56 am »
Wow! That is an incredible story!! Three cheers for RAMBO!! Anyone else have a hero story like that?
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Proliant

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 09:42:32 am »
Every one of the "Typically Vicious" dogs I have ever met fell into one of two categories.... ...

1) A very happy and well adjusted dog that wouldn't hurt anything (outside of toys) without an extremely good reason

2) a POORLY trained and BADLY cared for dog that could be vicious

It all comes down to the owner and how the animal is cared for. The only dog I have ever been afraid of was a beagle (meanest dog I have ever seen in my life) that was chained in the yard and completely neglected.

We should be mad at BAD OWNERS not punishing bad dogs. (FYI - my next door neighbor has two of the sweetest pit-bulls you could ever hope to meet - they might lick you to death but that's about it)

Next - instead of licensing dogs we should license owners (to ensure that the dogs get cared for correctly) then we wouldn't have to worry about the "bad dog" problem.

Matthew

(by the way your rottie is beautiful)

Offline RottnPeytonsMom

• Gnawer
  • Peyton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 02:18:31 pm »
Way to go Rambo.

Thanks for the compliment on my rottie too.

I work for a grooming salon and the dogs that give me the most problems believe it or not are golden retrievers and labs, on top of the little dogs. I often wonder what my Peyton would do if someone tried doing something to me. But really dont want to find out.

I just think it is soooo funny that people on the street will not walk past her and I when we are walking but if they only knew that she hides behind the recliner when our other dog barks. LOL

Kelly
Please dont forget me, for if I thought you would I would never leave-Christopher Robin

Offline rottsrus

• Gnawer
  • Ashemburg's Whiskey Girl
    • View Profile
    • Ashemburg Reg'd. Rottweilers
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 12:40:06 pm »
Hi Everyone!

I am new here.  My name is Marina Skoreiko. 

I just wanted to say how much I agree with some of the statements in this thread!!  We SHOULD be licensing owners, not enacting all this silly BSL crap all over the country!! >:(  BSL is not going to fix anything, but licensing owners sure would!

In my experience with this breed I have seen both sides of the Rottweiler.  There are the ones that are happy, well-adjusted, loving family companions.  These are the ones that are raised properly, trained and are well socialized.  I've also had the misfortune of seeing the dark side - what can happen when you don't raise them right.  I recently took in a rescue who for his entire life (he was 3 yrs. old) had been either left alone in the basement while everyone was at work, or was chained out in his yard, left to his own devices.  This poor dog was terrorized (sticks thrown at him, rocks, snow balls, etc.)by some brat that lived across the back alley on a daily basis until finally, one day, he'd had enough.  He went over the fence (still chained) and bit her.  Not his fault, but he paid the ultimate price for his owners negligence.

I took him in at the end of his 10 day quarantine to see if I could bring him around.  He hated ALL children - couldn't blame him.  He was extremely dog aggressive - can't blame him for that either, he'd never been socialized.  He was fine with me and my husband for the most part, but anyone else that came to the house - forget it!!  All teeth and snarling!!  Sadly, I made the very difficult decision to put him down.  I didn't feel he could be safely re-homed.  Very sad.

Even sadder was that he was a CKC registered Rottweiler, but his breeder was not interested in taking back the animal she'd put on this planet.  You see, she didn't "have room for him" with other intact male Rottweilers and her intact male Mastiffs, etc, etc..  You get the picture >:( >:( >:(  GRRRR!!!

Anyways, now that I've gone on and on.....I just wanted to say "Hi" to everyone and voice my agreeance with what was being discussed.

Marina Skoreiko
Rottweiler Club of Canada Prairies Director
Ashemburg Reg'd. Rottweilers
Sound in Mind, Strong in Body, Pure of Heart
Home to:
Ch. Shacoram's Legendary Lady TT
Ch. VonRoth's Catcher TT CCGC
Ashemburg's Whiskey Girl
Ashemburg's Dark Side
Ashemburg's Annie Get Yer Gun

Offline WendySuz

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Wendy's World.....  Just Stuff
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 05:22:18 pm »
I have a Rott, Tanner, who I raised from a pup. He's now 7. Sweetest boy in the world, all the kids love him in my neighborhood and are always at my house asking if he can "play." When we take our walks, if any of my neighbors are in their garages he'll wait at the end of their driveways and whine until they come pet and admire him. According to my Tanner, everyone should adore him.

My best friend had a little bisson names Spike (the irony of this three lb. fru-fru dog being named Spike still makes me smile) whom Tanner was terrified of. He would always try to hid all 135 lbs. of himself behind me if Spike were out while we were walking. Now they have a little Yorkie that Tanner just adores. I think he thought Spike was a barking cat and didn't quite know what to make of him.  ???

I have only seen him in full-on protective mode once when he was a pup of about 11 mos.  :o  We were on our way back from a trip to Missouri and two men were walking toward us in the dimly lit motel parking lot when I was walking him. Needless to say they'd startled me. Tanner quickly moved directly in front of me and started pushing back with his rear on my legs. When they didn't stop, his back rose and he started growling and when they still didn't stop, he began jumping from side to side, straight up and down while barking what I call his "back off" bark. Well, that got their attention and they froze. After we spoke and it was determined they were not a threat, Tanner went right up to them, smelled them, and began wagging and slurpping them up.

The"ominous presence" thing, as I call it when he puts his body in between me and something he believes may be dangerous, he's done since, though. He did it once when a friend and I were joking/wrestling aroundand he came over and stood in the middle of us and he's get in-between my ex-husband, who was abusive to me, and myself and push him away from me when he'd yell and stuff. That scared me only because I worried my ex would hurt him and then I'd have to kill my ex.  :-\  I never worried that Tanner would have, luckilly neither of us were pushed that far I suppose.

I also have a Rott/Lab mix, Ike, who was a rescue from a gang member. When I got him, he was approx. 8 years old, 35 lbs., and had scars down the side of his head, left ear, and shoulder from having the idiot throw battery acid on him (he was prosceuted and served jail time for animal abuse). He also had his ear pierced (can you imagine?), was afraid of men, and had horrible nightmares from which he tear around the house like a mad dog until he found me to throw himself into my lap and bury himself in my armpit. It broke your heart. He was so used to being starved that for years he'd eat, go to the bathroom, then eat that. Ugh. Thankfully, he doesn't do that anymore.  :P

He gained up to his normal weight of 110 lbs., stopped having the nightmares, and all but the deepest scars, behind his ear, went away thanks to lots and lots of Bag Balm. He has also gotten over his fear of men as well. The saddest thing now is, within the past three months he has gone completely blind due to the effects of the acid. He's gained some weight since then as he's less active but I hate to put him on a diet. I figure he'd been starved so long, he deserves to be a little chubby now.   ;)

He's the one who is super protective of the house and the yard. Just goes crazy if he thinks someone is trying to get in or if he hears anyone he doesn't recognize approach. he's absolutely wonderful with kids and anyone who comes over. In fact, he tends to park himself where he can rest his chin on someones leg and just slurps up all the petting he can get. He's very over protective of Tanner, though, as Tanner is of him especially with Ike's condition. When I scold one or the other which ever one is not on the hook is always right there.Tanner does get grouchy with him and sometime uses his "Hey!" bark, though, if Ike steps on him too many times.  

Ike is full-on Lab thru and thru except for his Rottie coat. I call him my little Lab in Rott clothing. Tanner sometimes looks at him when he's baying at the sirens, digging holes in the garden, or doing some other typically Lab behavior a Rott would never stoop to like, "Hey, Man! Get a hold of yourself! Where's your dignity?!"  8)

Anyway, I think the only way one of my Boys would become "vicious" is if someone physically threatened/attacked me. I've often said it's a good thing that the burglers wouldn't know the only risk they'd run breaking into the house is that they may be slurpped to death!  ;D

Cheers;

Wendy  

Offline RottiesRmyLuv

• Gnawer
  • Britta
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 02:17:21 am »
Have a story also about my Girl Malo. She has since passed away, but she was the same. Very passive, until one night my Husband came home Very late from a meeting, Malo and I had fallin asleep on the floor watching TV. He walked in the house very quietly trying not to wake me, and Malo didnt know who it was, so stood up and Growled and Snarled, but she stayed right in front of me.  She was Protecting me, and didnt leave my side.   I thought that was so awesome.  It was really good to know she was there if I ever Really needed her. Malo was my first Rottie, but not my last.  15 years later and I have my 4th, the most Docile Rott ever!!" She is my rescue Baby."  But I know in my Heart she would protect me if I needed it.  You raise ANY Dog in a Loving Home, they will be Loving Dogs. Pitt, Rott, Dobe, it doesnt matter. Ignorance is what gives our Dogs a Bad name, period!!  Thanks for letting me share, and Vent just alittle, lol, Lorna

Offline connolly

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2005, 08:24:31 am »
Great stories! I just love dog stories. And once again it's the humans in the mix that start it off. Case of the jerky neighbor and the stupid men should have know approaching you in the dark was worrisome. My Saint Bernard's have never been put to the test, they bark and then slime strangers but on point allot has to do with the persons reaction. Our past UPS driver use to throw packages at the house if the dogs were outside and speed off. Wonder why they barked at him??? The woman driver we have now gives them treats and my big girl jumps up in the truck with her! I always have to go outside to get her out LOL

"We SHOULD be licensing owners, not enacting all this silly BSL crap all over the country!!   BSL is not going to fix anything, but licensing owners sure would!"

Ditto on that! (this happens to be my personal soap box on adults taking responsibility for their pets and children)

I have had giant breeds all my life and the only time I have been bitten was by a mini Dioxin lol nearly took my little finger off! My Mom also had a Cairn Terrier that terrified me (use to get this look in her eye like she wanted to go for my throat but was to small) and she always bit the vet. Small person syndrome I guess.

Best, connolly

The older I get the less I know

Rufiesmom

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2005, 09:25:14 am »
I have a story about our Sophie who has passed away from bone cancer. We got her when she was about 10 wks. old and she was a sweetheart.  Never aggressive with the grandkids or other dogs.  We were parked in a parking lot by a movie theater one night and my husband went into a nearby store.  I was in the front seat and Sophie in back.   Anyway we were just sitting there and I began to hear a very deep rumbling noise.  It took me a minute to realise it was coming from Sophie.  I turned around and saw a man looking through the window.  He saw Sophie at the same time I saw him. He ran away and later we read in the newspaper that a man had been breaking into cars and attacking women. He was eventually caught but I hate to think what would have happened if she hadn't been there!  We still miss her terribly.

Offline RottynamedTiny

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 12:41:55 am »
Growing up I knew a couple people with Rotts and they were all great dogs!  I see mean ones on TV all the time, that's why people say they are vicious.  Seeing them on TV makes me nervous to have one sometimes but Tiny is so smart and so gentle with mine, and all my neighborhood kids I know he will be a great dog.[
Peace! Shauna

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 09:54:39 am »
Beautiful Rottie, I love those dogs.  The problem is that so many "tough guys" feel they have to buy a Pit Bull or a Rottweiler and have aligned these breeds with Gang culture.  So many of these idiots have no ability to take care of these dogs.  All they want is something cool on the end of a leash when they're in public and the rest of the time the dog is locked up in the back yard.  These same idiots have overbred these breeds and now there are so many retarded messed up dogs.  Match that up with abuse and neglect and you've got a timebomb waiting to explode.  I've witnessed several times these breeds running around and mauling other dogs and attacking people.  I have had to literally kick a Pit Bull off an elderly lady and gotten bitten in the process.  I have also come across dog fights in the street where one Rottie was laying dead in the street in a pool of blood.  Stupid people who have no regard for life are responsible for for the stereotype of Rotties and Pits.  It is too bad because I have been around both breeds many times and they were for the most part, sweet and loving dogs.  It must be very frustrating being an owner of them and dealing with that stereotype.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 11:06:19 am »
I was never a dog person. Cute little dogs I would scratch and love, but big dogs scared the heck out of me. When I was 13 my best friend and I were walking down the street and a big dog was chianed in someones front yard, right next to the sidewalk. My friend asked the owner, who was sitting right next to the dog, if she could pat him. The owner said "ofcourse, he's so sweet he wouldn't hurt a flea"  So my friend held her hand out, palm down and let the dog sniff her and the moved her hand to the top of his head to scratch him....and the dog got real mean, bit onto her wrist and started shaking her! The owner was just screaming Oh my God! When the dog let up to get a better grip on her my friend backed away very quickly, and fortunatly the dog was chained and could reach us. I have been terrified of big dogs since then.
Then I met Lewy (sp?). He was a pitbull, and he was HUGE! Lewy is short for Lucifer.... As soon as I  opened the door at this friends house the dog scraed the life out of me. He looked mean. I was assured that he wouldn't bite, but I didn't believe him. I stuck a shakey hand out to him to sniff....and he licked it, rolled over on his back, wagged his tail and begged with his eyes for me to scratch his belly! He was the sweetest dog I had ever met! I figured if I could make friends with a pitbull named Lucifer I could make friends with other big dogs too!
Lewy wasn'talways so sweet though. When you put on your coat to leave he would stand in front of the door and growl. The trick was you had to say "goodbye Lewy" and he would move and let you leave. Great trick, if you know him. His humans name was Brian... one day Brian came home to find a man with a bloody leg and ripped up jeans curled in a ball on his couch. Seems the man had broken in and Lewy let him. He "made friends" with the dog and then grabbed the TV and other expensive things and the dog did nothing...till he tried to leave! The dog grabbed his leg and pulled him back in the house. Once in the house he left the guy alone, unless he tried to leave again. Brian called the cops on the guy... nothing bad happened to Lewy and all was well!
I won't have that happen for me. If someone breaks in here, my dogs will make them a snack and show them where we hide the good silver!
So thanks to Lewy I am not longer scared of dogs just based on their size or breed. I'm scared of dogs based on their owner!!!

Vicki

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 11:37:36 am »
It is very unfortunate, how a few "rotten eggs" ruine the reputation for an entire breed. Not only in the eyes of the public. but also when it comes to insurance. My in-laws own Dobies, they are the sweetest and most cuddly dogs. All their grand children play with them and well just wonderful dogs. Their insurance "guy" came out to do some kind of semi yearly visit, and saw the dogs. They were fenced in in a very large pen with about 10 feet tall fence all around, thats where they have them when they are out and in-laws are not with them. The dogs, of course barked, to tell them that, here comes someone, just the was a good doggy would do, tell its mom and dad that something is happening. The insurance guy, told them, they had two options, either get rid of the dogs or they would be kicked out from that company!!!!! Need I say that my in-laws changed their insurance company. But there are a number of breeds that these companies see as dangerous, or a large liability. Knowing what those breeds are, it is a joke, most dogs are really very nice and just a few are the ones making a bad rep. for all the rest.

Unfortunately, most times people read about those breeds are when something bad has happened, maybe we should try and make a campagne to show off just how nice and wonderful they can be, when brought up the right way.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Greytmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 04:57:53 pm »
Greyhounds in Australia have to wear muzzles unless they have gone through the greyhound adoption program. Because of the muzzle everyone thinks that they are vicious. They are the most gentle dogs I have every known. My 64 lb Jessica was frighten of my neighbours 10 lb Shih Tzu X. My puppy Oz got a suprise when a toy poodle came up from behind him and barked and nipped at his back leg. He might have been only 4 months old but he was a tall 28 lb greyhound. They call my dogs vicious but they have never tried to bite any other dog or person. When are people going to see that the size of the dog does not mean anything it is the temperment of the dog and its owner that you have to be worried about.

Toni, mom of Jessica and Oz
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 04:59:27 pm by Greytmom »
Toni

Greyhounds are great